• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

"Moral Jobs" that are "safe" for Orthodox?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by gurneyhalleck1, Jul 10, 2021.

1. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,943
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’m ex-Navy, but could hardly imagine serving today. It was bad enough in my time, introducing women officers to serve on my second ship in peacetime, and before “Don’t ask, don't tell” became a thing. Now it is absolutely bonkers, because they have lost all true philosophy on sexuality and the sexes, and have only a mad insistence on egalitarian interchangeability.
    (OTOH, both of my ships were vintage WW2, and the first had even survived the Marshall Island tests, and I reckon you might find that hard to imagine...)

2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,557
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks for your perspective. :)

I actually always wanted to be a writer, and I guess in a sense I was for some years. Even got paid for it. :) With the way things are now, I might like it even better.

But yes, I absolutely LOVE the job I am doing now. I’m working as a therapist for autistic kids. And I’m working to expand my certifications. I’d like to add LMHC as well, if that works out, and perhaps do counseling from an Orthodox perspective someday. I used to think that was impractical since no way would the relatively small base here support such a career, but one thing covid taught us is that counseling can happen via a screen, so potentially I could have clients anywhere.

I don’t like screens for working with people with autism. But there’s more than enough clients in that part of the field to do in person locally.

I’ve thought about starting something back up within a niche area of interest. But these days there is probably no time.

3. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,691
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    9 years until pension and retirement, then it's a definite possibility that Gurney won't be California dreamin' anymore. Sad. I've lived here 46 years, and what the Democrats have done to this place is tragic and appalling.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+925
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    The overall loss of proper sexuality understanding is a large part of why I knew that I likely couldn't marry a fellow American. One of the things that I respect about a lot of foreign women, namely Latin America and Orthodox countries, is that for the most part women know they're women and embrace it rather than try to be men. Like they do here.

I can relate. I grew up in Washington state when Seattle was defined by grunge music, Frasier, Real World, and, Ken Griffey Jr. Now's it's second to San Francisco in lawlessness, homelessness, and, complete insane debauchery.

On the one hand, I'm glad I don't live in the Pacific Northwest anymore. On the other, it's all the more reason we as Orthodox need to work together and counteract this insanity as best we can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,624
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yep.

6. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+9,006
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Are people here aware of the request for everyone to read the Small Paraclesis to the Most Holy Theotokos every Saturday and Wednesday for this reason?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Not David

Not David Finally an Orthodox

+4,932
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You are being way to optimistic with Latin American women, most of the ones I know are liberal even the ones from my native place

8. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+14,762
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    I'm glad to hear that! I wish you continued success in your work. I'm sure you're a blessing for the kids.

~bella

9. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+925
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    First I've heard of this.

Well, perhaps I got lucky then :)