Moral Dilemma

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's sad to hear. Where is he now?
Still pastoring that congregation. They decided to go with him rather than stay with the mainstream vocal-only CoC in general.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still pastoring that congregation. They decided to go with him rather than stay with the mainstream vocal-only CoC in general.

That's an amazing turn-a-bout. I hope it has worked out for them over time and led to some more constructive fellowship. Even in my instrumental Christian Church, I've been a member/attender at two or three congregations that couldn't keep their internal schisms at bay, and they proceeded to basically tear the church apart, while the rest of us sat in the pews not realizing what was exactly going on around us, or why.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's an amazing turn-a-bout. I hope it has worked out for them over time and led to some more constructive fellowship. Even in my instrumental Christian Church, I've been a member/attender at two or three congregations that couldn't keep their internal schisms at bay, and they proceeded to basically tear the church apart, while the rest of us sat in the pews not realizing what was exactly going on around us, or why.
The week before my kid bro got marred, the pastor and several key congregants there attended a national CoC convocation in Indy proper (they are in a south side suburb). The pastor had to miss the final meeting for the rehearsal. But he told us ( or at least me and dad) that the keynote speaker told them that it was time to stop thinking of vocal music only as a salvic issue, but rather a cultural one. I believe that started the ball rolling for them. So the other Indy area CoCs brought charges up against him and the congregation about a year later.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The week before my kid bro got marred, the pastor and several key congregants there attended a national CoC convocation in Indy proper (they are in a south side suburb). The pastor had to miss the final meeting for the rehearsal. But he told us ( or at least me and dad) that the keynote speaker told them that it was time to stop thinking of vocal music only as a salvic issue, but rather a cultural one. I believe that started the ball rolling for them. So the other Indy area CoCs brought charges up against him and the congregation about a year later.

Very interesting. It always amazes me how stodgy and stiff some people get in their thinking. As for the instrumental issue, I guess their bibles don't have Psalm 150 (the very last Psalm, so it's always easy for me to find!); or their bibles have expurgated all those Kenaniah verses or those with David dancing around.... or certain verses in the book of Revelation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for the instrumental issue, I guess their bibles don't have Psalm 150 (the very last Psalm, so it's always easy for me to find!)
You have to understand how they use CENI. "approved Example." Psalm 150 is not approved as it is the Old Covenant that Christ died to get rid of.

In a forum exchange with one guy over at Grace Centered, I asked him specifically about Psalm 150 - which is not an example but in the Hebrew is a COMMAND.

He said that up until the death of Jesus God REQUIRED and loved instrumental praise, but at that moment, He hated it and condemned to hell those who continued in that mode.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to understand how they use CENI. "approved Example." Psalm 150 is not approved as it is the Old Covenant that Christ died to get rid of.

In a forum exchange with one guy over at Grace Centered, I asked him specifically about Psalm 150 - which is not an example but in the Hebrew is a COMMAND.

He said that up until the death of Jesus God REQUIRED and loved instrumental praise, but at that moment, He hated it and condemned to hell those who continued in that mode.

Yes, the CENI must be what the Church of Christ - non-instrumental has applied within their churches.

I find all of that stuff a bit disconcerting. Having originally grown up in a family that occasionally attended a moderate to liberal Presbyterian church (USA), and then later affiliating with the Southern Baptists when I first formally became a Christian, when I found the Christian Church and eventually heard about the strictness of our Church of Christ counterparts, I was kind of taken aback.

Anyway, I think your example shows clearly the 'skewed' nature of some of their interpretive framework, i.e. if they are relying fully on CENI principles. And even though I try very hard to remain open to listening to Christians who hold various kinds of theological viewpoints, I won't--and don't--put up with that kind of pushy, overstuffed dogmatism for very long. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't born several hundred years ago...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Don't forget the mandatory 5 points of every worship service: preaching, communion, fellowship, prayer and the offering. One loses salvation if that all is not done weekly.

Oh - if you are on the other side of the Stone - Campbell Restoration movement, you CANNOT have any instruments in use during a worship service. (the only difference I have found between the Church of Christ and the Christian Church).
Which faith group are you trying to describe here, Dave?
It's not LDS or Campbellite.

(Oh- never mind, I see the answer later in the thread).

Upvote 0