• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Moral dilemma

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so today after 5 years I've finally been taken seriously by medics and have been offered the chance to get to the buttom of my gynae issues. She wants to do surgery which at best will give me 6-24 months remission from symptoms however she said I could opt for the mirena at the same time this is what I take issue with. I know the mirena will give me an additional 5 years of remission. I'm worried. I'm not married so it's not going to be used for contraception but it's the very fact it is that worries me. My friend had to turn it down but for me I can't have the surgery on my tummy unless I go for the mirena at the same time. Can you see my dilemma? I need the surgery but I don't want to sin in the process. So boils down to is having contraception fitted for a medical reason in the absence of preventing pregnancy ok?

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
so today after 5 years I've finally been taken seriously by medics and have been offered the chance to get to the buttom of my gynae issues. She wants to do surgery which at best will give me 6-24 months remission from symptoms however she said I could opt for the mirena at the same time this is what I take issue with. I know the mirena will give me an additional 5 years of remission. I'm worried. I'm not married so it's not going to be used for contraception but it's the very fact it is that worries me. My friend had to turn it down but for me I can't have the surgery on my tummy unless I go for the mirena at the same time. Can you see my dilemma? I need the surgery but I don't want to sin in the process. So boils down to is having contraception fitted for a medical reason in the absence of preventing pregnancy ok?
Hi Amy Rebekah,

A lot of people might disagree with your worries about contraception depending on their views on it. I personally am against contraception as a Catholic. You are welcome to ask at the Catholic board, and you might get more informed answers there without trying to debate your view :) Catholic priests are also knowledgeable in this though I don't know how you feel about asking one. I don't know what church you go to but even if it differs from the Catholic Church in ways, it seems like we agree on this issue, so Catholic resources might help you.

My understanding is that the sin in contraception is specifically avoiding pregnancy. If a single women were to take birth control pills for certain issues unrelated to contraception, and then were to stop if she got married, that's a significant difference from just contracepting. Because she can't get pregnant anyway if she's single and chaste. (I still personally wouldn't recommend it to women because of habit formation and because birth control pills have been linked to cancer etc).

As I understand, mirena is an IUD. Did the doctor say to leave it for 5 years and then remove it? If you were to want to get married during those 5 years, (which could happen because that's a long time, we don't know the future) or especially if the IUD would be there for even longer, - that would become contraceptive if you marry. Is there an option to just have the surgery, or maybe look into other treatment options? In the end the IUD is a contraceptive device. It actually works by causing a very early abortion so it is an abortifacient. That is another problem too. It can also power a woman's chances of pregnancy later on by causing possible damage to her organs, and it's important to look at other possible side effects too.

I'm just one person and not too knowledgeable in this, I would recommend asking others with a similar view to you who might know more, and you're always welcome to ask at the Catholic board or even speak to a priest for information, even if you are not Catholic. God bless you and guide you :)

Upvote 0

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a catholic but I'm looking at not getting married in the next 5 years anyway lol I want to know him for a year date (court for another) be engaged for around a year before even getting married so that gives 3 years before marriage even happens plus 2 years to find someone! So yeah the IUD will probably come out before the wedding lol!

Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Of course I can't make the decision for you, but in my opinion, given the contraceptive aspect of the IUD and given the health risks associated with it, personally I'd look to see if there are other options.. of course any contraceptive device I would also disagree with. I tried to look up information about chaste unmarried people using contraceptives for other reasons, and stopping once married, but I don't know how easy it is to transition out of it so suddenly.. if it's difficult to transition, it might continue during the marriage as well in which case it would have a contraceptive effect... maybe others have more insight into this :)

Upvote 0

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, sadly the way she worded it with me is that if I don't have the mirena I can't have any treatment. I've already got fertility issues as it stands and endometriosis could well destroy what's left of it (if it hasn't already). That is also the way my GP said about it with me. I explained the reasons I take issue and I wasn't listened to. We have to remember I spent 5 years telling my GP how bad my period pains were and being dismissed so to have this chance is in itself an answer to my prayers. I've spoken to individuals within my church and they say as it's not being used to prevent pregnancy and is usually used in addition to surgery to control the symptoms of a medical condition and in turn it protects what is left of my fertility and allows me to reclaim my life back. moreover it will allow me to enjoy a normal marriage as apparently endometriosis makes sexual intercourse painful so if I can prevent that from being an issue I can see that being a fantastic benefit and it means when I'm ready to have kids it should actually be easier to get pregnant as there won't be pain, scar tissue, and everything will be as it is now at aged 25 minus except I'll be in my 30's! Also it's worth noting I'm currently saving money in an attempt to get into medical school so kids are a long way off!

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the Mirena will give you relief from symptoms and is a necessary part of treatment, then I think you should get it. You would be using it not as contraception, but for medical treatment, and it sounds like it can actually improve your health and fertility years into the future.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. So boils down to is having contraception fitted for a medical reason in the absence of preventing pregnancy ok?
I would think it would be absolutely ok.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would think it would be absolutely ok.
Turns out I had no choice. I wasn’t told of side effects and am now engaged in a battle with the nhs to have it removed under ga and my gp agrees if having it out awake is actually destabilising and could retraumatise (see other thread) then it’s not worth the risk. She also understands how it’s causing mild anaemia and am having to take the pill to control the bleeding... we’re thinking remove the mirena and keep the pill and possibly a hysterectomy. I’m 26 and to be fair I’ve had enough of periods lasting 3 weeks and pain lasting almost as long. I can’t exercise at all for the first week and swimming (which I love) is out the question for the remaining two. Since then pill I only have a period once every 9 weeks but I’d rather have less than that!

• Prayers
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow. So sorry to hear all of that.
You have my prayers sister!
I need them, I’m due in a pain clinic next Friday the gp who referred me didn’t like the idea that I am a Christian although she was supportive of my baptism. She couldn’t get her head around the idea that i could have such faith in such difficult circumstances from my past. Also the nhs doesn’t respect the faith of white girls labelled as PD

• Prayers
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also the nhs doesn’t respect the faith of white girls labelled as PD
No, government groups rarely have any respect for true biblical faith.

Sorry, but I do not know what "PD" means.

Upvote 0