United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rus,
Just now reading this; It's the first week of school and I'm sure you recall the INSANITY of it all! I'm VERY sorry to hear about Andrew! Prayers and blessings on you, Andrew, your wife, and family.
BTW, Hans Zimmer...the man, the legend---the Dark Knight, Last Samurai, and Man of Steel are the best!!!! That guy makes the best soundtracks!
I'm really sorry about your situation. Sounds mind-numbing and exhausting! God bless you all!

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
BTW, Hans Zimmer...the man, the legend---the Dark Knight, Last Samurai, and Man of Steel are the best!!!! That guy makes the best soundtracks!

don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean and Gladiator

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,269.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hopefully the other kids will help keep him occupied .

How good is his Russian ?
Since his mom, grandparents, and everyone he has grown up with speaks Russian, it's quite fluent. The struggle for me has always been to teach my kids English. Not only is my language slightly foreign to them, but even culturally they get relatively little from me. Getting him to love baseball was a great victory (I shell out serious cash every year to get access to the MLB site/channel).
He goes around the apartment imitating the sportscasters in a pipsqueak voice ("Trout hits a long fly to center field! Cabrera is going for it!..."
I'm on my weekly commute to the big stone city. I'm planning to visit him after work; my older (now adult) son should be there, too. Tomorrow his mom will visit (it takes us a couple of hours to get to the hospital from home, so we take public transport. Reduces the stress considerably.
I've done what I can to get my old iPad working; since it can't go higher than iOS 5.1.1, it can't do that much, but it's something besides books. He's been more resistant to reading than my older children, being more of the outgoing, sports-loving kid.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,269.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean and Gladiator
Got Pirates (the music) for him, but he hasn't seen it yet. He's ten, and just a little young for that stuff. He's pretty innocent and sensitive: I was teaching the group of kids he was in at the English camp songs from the 1977 "Hobbit", with actual Tolkien lyrics, and he got really upset at the graphic descriptions of what the goblins wanted to do to the dwarfs in "Fifteen Birds in 5 Fir Trees" - he had heard the song and loved it for a few years, but had never realized what they were saying at that point.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,269.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Returning home on a bus from the City, full workday followed by visiting Andy. He seems pretty well-adjusted, is in a room with one other boy who looks to be in even worse shape. They have TV, Disney channel in Russian :sick:
They can play social games in a common room until 6pm; at 9pm it's lights out. Clean, sufficiently modern, a very nice facility. He's a little depressed, but bearing up well, I think. I read a chapter from Paddington to him and a little from a Choose-your-own-adventure book to encourage him to read in English.
I'm feeling wiped out, on the edge of sick; need a couple of days to just shut down, crawl into bed, and putter around the apartment.
Thank you for your prayers and well-wishing! (Though prayers are the gold standard!)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Glad he's seeming to cope with it all. It can't be easy for him - even with the access to the common room for social stuff.

You will be glad to get him home

prayers continue :crosseo:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,269.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, the stressful part is over. We checked him out of the hospital yesterday. The drive there and back is stressful, it was compounded by worry about our cat, who we couldn't find and I feared poisoned.
But it ended (mostly) well. The cat showed up, healthy and well. Except for my son leaving his jacket at Mickey D's (I didn't know he had taken it in). Going back for it would be more big stress.

He's upset about being knocked out of baseball and sports in general. Dealing with that. We're going to walk to the store now (a five-minute walk, the most adventurous thing I want him doing for now). The cast will be on for another 3-4 weeks, after that they'll remove the pins at some point, and it'll be just a sling at that point, I guess, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks again for your prayers!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,791.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
He'll get back to sports when the fractures are completely healed - at present they are just stabilised.

These things take time and we all know kids do not have the patience to just wait and be less active.

Good luck keeping him occupied :D

Upvote 0