Montana students, teachers blast bill that would limit science education to ‘scientific fact’

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Evidently Harvard hasn't gotten the memo yet.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravity

In any case, I'm done here.

I've made my point.

I don't even think you understand your point.

Newton's Law of Universal Gravity still exists. That has not changed and will not change.

The theory of gravity is it's own thing, based on the law of universal gravity to explain the law of universal gravity. The law of gravity describes the force, but the theory of gravity is an explanation OF that force.

Do you get this?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,291.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Two questions:

1. Why was gravity suddenly plutoed from "law" to "theory"?

2. Is it because they want to dupe the public into thinking that, if this law (no pun intended) gets passed, they can't teach gravity anymore?

"Sorry, guys. Can't teach the law theory of gravity anymore, if this legislation gets passed. So you'd better vote it down, or the laws theories of thermodynamics are next!"
It's both a theory and a law.

The law is the mathematical description of the behaviour of gravity and the theory is the explanation as to how mass and space time interact to create the measurable effect of gravity.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whatever your original point, you've certainly just pointed out that the Law of Gravity was never redefined as a theory of gravity.

The OP says this:

Several Montana middle- and high-school students said Monday that a lawmaker did not correctly interpret scientific theory and that his bill would ban common theories, like gravity, from being taught in schools – hampering their education and futures in STEM fields.

So are you guys saying that the LAW OF GRAVITY can still be taught, even though the THEORY OF GRAVITY cannot?

• Haha
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The OP says this:

So are you guys saying that the LAW OF GRAVITY can still be taught, even though the THEORY OF GRAVITY cannot?

Not what anyone is saying at all.

What they're saying is that person who wrote that bill doesn't understand science because anyone who does would know that theories explain facts. You cannot have one without the other.

Upvote 0