Montana politics just got wild

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"You just body slammed me ......."
Yeah that doesn't sound contrived at all. LOL
Have fun. I've had my say. I don't really care enough to continue. Bye.
How does a statement made by the victim after the fact suggest that he was trying to get punched? I'll agree that there's no way of knowing 100% what happened without video evidence, but both the audio and the witness statements (apart from Gianforte's, but he has a vested interest in denying the other accounts) don't support the idea that there was any sort of provocation. And even if there was provocation that we didn't hear it doesn't justify a violent physical response. This is a grown man running for national office. We should hold him to higher standards than a 12 year old.

I get that you don't trust the media, even if I don't really understand why, but the reporter's story was backed up by members of the Fox News team also in the room at the time. Given Fox's well-known conservative bias, I don't see why they would back up a story that hurts the conservative candidate if it were false.

To throw a different spin on it, you said you'd feel the same if it were the Democratic candidate. But how would you feel if it were the democratic candidate and a reporter for Breitbart (or whatever your news source of choice is)? Exact same words, just change the names.

• Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
It's easier to believe that than the guy is a hothead?

This, being a "special election" has propaganda value for the Dems if they win it. The Repub fellow is obviously a poor candidate if he can't even do well in a Republican state. $$$ makes the world go round.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This, being a "special election" has propaganda value for the Dems if they win it. The Repub fellow is obviously a poor candidate if he can't even do well in a Republican state. $$$ makes the world go round.
Wouldn't it make more sense to do something like this before 70% of the expected votes are cast then? Montana allows vote-by-mail, and most of those ballots are already submitted. They can't be changed.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hmm. To be fair, anything to distract the public from the AHCA and Trump is good for Republicans. Even if it's another Republican.

Especially as it fits in so well with their "Media out to get us." narrative.
Conservative pundits will sell it as Gianforte defending himself, and Republicans at least will swallow it hook line and sinker; or they'll just take enjoyment that someone from a Trump out-group got attacked.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So we have out special election tomorrow to elect our lone house member, Rob Quist (D) a well known musician, vs Greg Gianforte (R), a YEC and founder of a start up tech company that he sold to Oracle. Despite being a red state, Gianforte lost to a Democrat in thr Governors race in November.
It looks like the stress of campaigning got to him on election eve, he just body slammed a reporter for the Guardian who asked him about the CBO score of rhe new health care proposal, and the police are giving a press conference now.
Wowza...we're in the global spotlight! I voted early, but no regrets, I supported Quist anyway.

What's a YEC? Whatever it is, Gianforte sounds like a nutcase.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It sounds as if people in Montana knew he had issues even before this incident--which shocked even the Fox News reporters--happened. After all, they voted for a Democratic governor in November.

Hopefully they will eventually realize that lots of Republicans have "issues." My congressman, for example, when asked about the Trump budget, said, basically, "More, more I'm still not satisfied." He wants to go after entitlements, too.

All we need is for people of conscience to connect the dots enough times that even the most unaware will realize they're being had.

• Agree
Reactions: dannheim
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The worst parts of this are seeing people cheer Gianforte's bullying behavior and state that the reporter was asking for it by being a liberal...especially when comments come from people that are neighbors. The second worse part is that if he still wins, we'll be branded as the state that was OK with this.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if it was the early voting or if people just didn't care about Gianforte's behavior, but he's currently up.
I think I'm as discouraged as I've ever been about politics and the type of Christianity that Gianforte and his supporters preach. I'll go to sleep hoping for a turnaround, but I don't expect one, and will likely wake up knowing that apparently assaulting someone for asking a hard question or simply being a liberal reporter is celebrated in this new great America. No more antibullying nonsense in the schools, it's the era of the bully.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So, Gianforte wins anyway, and in his speech, he apologies for assaulting the reporter. Just yesterday, he claimed the reporter assaulted him. Seems his statement last night was less than truthful if his apology tonight was heartfelt. Score one for the bullies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dannheim

Honey Badger
Oct 10, 2014
Rancho Mirage CA
✟23,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sadly there appears to be a lot of contentions about politicians who don't represent the people but are bullies and it seems to be a reflection of our president who's has also been characterized as a bully at times. Our nation is one step away from an oligarchy.

I never thought that I would see the day that the GOP, the party of Lincoln, has become a party of hate and intolerance. These are not in alignment with Christ's teachings and I'm embarrased that I've blindly supported it.

We now have a neo-fascism party in control of our country and it appears their scapegoat will be the elderly, the poor and downtrodden. Even more sad is that the Christians have seemed to support its rise to power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, Gianforte wins anyway, and in his speech, he apologies for assaulting the reporter. Just yesterday, he claimed the reporter assaulted him. Seems his statement last night was less than truthful if his apology tonight was heartfelt. Score one for the bullies.

Sorry about that. It's weird seeing my home state in the news like this.

Though Trump supporters vehemently deny it, I think he is the cause of this kind of animosity. I distinctly remember a protester getting sucker punched at a Trump rally here in Tucson, then candidate Trump's calls for violence and his supporters, then and now, giving cryptic threats about 'citizens excercising their 2nd amendment rights'.

My sincere condolences.

Upvote 0

Kano71

May 26, 2017
Upper hutt
✟7,701.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dannheim....We are approaching the end and have been the told by Christ this would happen. You should praise God that you have turned back to Christ. The only way to answer this new hostile conservative movement is to answer their hatred with compassion. A lot of non christians view conservatives as the norm for christians, that is not the case. Some of us have been silent to long. We need to remind people that Jesus is the ultimate love and compassion. He is not a God of division and hatred. Praise God.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
:(
I will just hope it was mainly down to early voting.

To be fair, I think bullies are normally more likely to succeed as long as they can bully with impunity.
And counting Trump, I'd say at the bullies have at least scored two.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Though Trump supporters vehemently deny it, I think he is the cause of this kind of animosity. I distinctly remember a protester getting sucker punched at a Trump rally here in Tucson, then candidate Trump's calls for violence and his supporters, then and now, giving cryptic threats about 'citizens excercising their 2nd amendment rights'..

Here we go. :sigh:

As much as I hate to quote myself, a governor exercising his 2nd amendment rights joking about shooting a journalist exercising his 1st amendment rights isn't funny. I think the governor's guns should be taken away.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joked about shooting reporters while visiting a gun range and carrying a target sheet with bullet holes in it.

As he was holding the bullet-ridden target, Abbott allegedly said, "I’m gonna carry this around in case I see any reporters," according to the Texas Tribune

Texas Governor Greg Abbott Jokes About Shooting Reporters While at Gun Range

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
And the guy with the guts wins. How about that? Maybe voters are getting tired of being shoved around by the journalist in name only. Maybe it is time to take a stand.
Yeah, turning the other cheek is like, so 2000 years ago. How dare a reporter ask a question about health care...that's none of the public's business. Gianforte was bravely running away from the reporter's question.

Here's a preacher suggesting we need a more violent Christianity
Christian Radio Host Commends Greg Gianforte: ‘We Need A More Violent Christianity’

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gianforte was bravely running away from the reporter's question.
(to the tune of Brave Sir Robin)

Greg Gianforte ran away.
(No!)
Bravely ran away, away.
(I didn't!)
When healthcare questions reared their heads,
he bravely turned his tail and fled.
(No!)
Yes, Greg Gianforte turned about
(I didn't!)
and gallantly he chickened out.

Bravely tackling to the floor
(I never did!)
and punching out a reporter,
(All lies!)
Bravest of the brave, Gianforte.
(Ok, maybe I did...)

Upvote 0