Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It says in the Bible that Christians 'should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.' I can try to say this in my head and heart, saying, "Jesus, please help me to no longer live for myself, but for You Who died for me and rose again." I can try to say this, and try to mean it, for like a moment. But then it seems to me that at the very next moment, my selfish motive is back and I am living for myself, again.

Let me put it another way. I can start repeating the phrase, "Jesus, please help me to no longer live for myself, but for You Who died for me and rose again." I will be trying to mean it in my heart, at first. But after a few repetitions, it just becomes a chant; I'm just saying the words, but not meaning it in my heart.

Let me put it a third way. Suppose I am sitting at a table. Three books of equal size are laying spread out on the table and my next planned task is to stack these three books, one on top of another. Suppose that I am concerned that I don't belong to Jesus, and that just before I stack the books, I do my best to give my heart and life to Jesus. I think I sincerely give myself and my heart to Him. Next, I go to start to stack the books. As soon as I start the task, I find that in my heart, I am saying to the effect of, "I am doing this for ME, under my own power and for my own purposes, not for anyone else, not even Jesus. I am living for ME!"

I find that I cannot keep up a selfless, for-Jesus motive but for an instant. In the next instant, my motive for what I am doing at that moment, my motive for living, switches back to "for self." I can't sustain a selfless, living for God motive but for an instant.

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It will take you the rest of your natural life. :)
Think of it in terms of a bodybuilder slowly, and through much hard work, amassing muscle mass over time.

Or even Buddhist Monks striving for Nirvana or enlightenment. Patience with prayer and trust in God.

• Agree
Reactions: gentlejah
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shalom @Bob8102

I think I understand your heart on this matter. Allow me to offer some advice which you can do with as you wish.

Yahweh (the God of the Bible) is not interested in chants or decrees, but truthfulness and faithfulness in a real relationship. What He wants is real dedication and living dedication and I'm sure He isn't bothered about repetitive verbal dedication.

Picture it like this. Let's say you're married and you love your wife dearly and you know she loves you too. But she seems to be caught up on some advice from your friends which was encouraging her to share all her life with you. The advice of your friends wasn't bad per se, but she has taken it almost as a formula. She comes to you each day saying "I want to share all my life with you, thank you". It seems a bit stilted and alien to you, as she repeats this many times and it just feels a bit... unnecessary. You would rather her actually DO these things rather than talk about it.

In the same way, what you are praying is not bad. But your mind and heart sounds like it is still in the world and concerned about worldly things. This happens from habit and automation that our minds and hearts are used to. It's like a stream flowing in one direction. One fish may swim against the current upstream (your prayer in this instance) but ultimately the river keeps flowing in the way it is used to.

My advice is from Paul the apostle...

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:2

How do you do this practically though? It starts very simply. Read the Word over and over. Get it deep inside your heart. Read with the diligence as if your had a forthcoming Master's Exam, and with the passion as if each book remembered is another step to living the life He wants for you.

Within the Bible is all the information that the Creator kept recorded for you for teaching and wisdom. You won't necessarily understand all of it and certainly not on your first few read-throughs. But, the more and more you read and reread it, it starts to become alive and you will find that your "river" starts to flow in the other direction - thinking with wisdom, on spiritual things and an unshakeable connection to the Almighty.

If you try to establish a relationship with the Father or His Son without digesting His Word regularly, you will struggle and be unlikely to hear back - as He first speaks with us through His Word. Again, don't underestimate what appears to be simple words on a page. The Word is alive! It's dynamic. And it won't reveal it's secrets other than to diligent.

For more encouragement on how to get the most out of your Bible reading time, check the site below.
www.faithandtheword.com/bother/reading/

Take heart and be patient. Even if it takes you a whole year to properly read through the Bible, it will not leave you without many answers and even more questions for the followup read through.

As you do this, you will be changing the direction of the river of your heart by the "renewing of your mind". Then, you will want to live for Him and no longer yourself naturally and fluidly, and not in statement alone.

Love & Shalom

Upvote 0