Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Given that I have boys who are 8, 9 and 10, this hits close to home for me.

Was she wrong to leave them while they were on vacation? To me that depends on how well they knew the area. I spent a good number of my summers along the main drag in Traverse City MI. My brother and I often were left to go spend our time at the beach or Pirate's Cove. On vacations to less-familiar areas, we still swam at the pool by ourselves a lot.

At what age should children be left home alone? I think it depends more on the maturity. Here in MN there is no legal age, but the suggested age is 9 or older. In our case, our 9 year old is way more mature than our 10 year old. We are just starting to get to the point where we leave the littles home alone now and then (generally for no longer than an hour). I also work 4 blocks away.

What do you guys think?

http://kwqc.com/2016/08/26/police-mom-arrested-for-leaving-kids-home-alone-45-min/

Reactions: brinny

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So they took away mom because she shouldn't be away...?

Yeah, that was kind of an odd thing - "you left your kids alone so now we're going to remove you and leave them alone"... I'm sure they were placed in protective custody while mom was processed.

I think I'd really like to ask the driver who had contact with the kids after their dog ran in font of the car what his reasoning was for calling the police. Maybe something seemed off to him.

Initially, this was reported as the KIDS ran in front of the car (trying to get their dogs), and of course at that point in time a good number of people blasted the mother. Now it's being reported that it was actually just the dogs, so it would seem that the outrage at the mom has subsided.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why were the dogs out loose to begin with, is my question? My parents never left me or my sister alone at those ages. Once we were in middle school, it was another story. Why take us to the grocery store, pick up dinner, or run a quick errand when we had sense enough not to burn the house down, let strangers in, or kill each other while they were gone?

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why were the dogs out loose to begin with, is my question? My parents never left me or my sister alone at those ages. Once we were in middle school, it was another story. Why take us to the grocery store, pick up dinner, or run a quick errand when we had sense enough not to burn the house down, let strangers in, or kill each other while they were gone?
Another unknown to the story, right??

I was babysitting when I was 11 so if I could be left alone with someone else's kid, chances are I was probably safe to be left home alone on my own. Most of the time my older brother would've been home, too, as a general rule, but it wasn't like he was watching me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
45 minutes???!!!!

What law was broken?

Aren't children "alone" when they "walk to school", etc?

This is inSANE.

She needs a good lawyer to challenge this nonsense.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't think i was left at home alone until age 11, at least not regularly. That being said, there's no magical age in which it suddenly becomes OK for all kids. If kids can handle the responsibility of being home alone, they should be allowed to be left at home. It's certainly feasible that the 8 and 9 year old in this article were more than capable to be left at home for 45 minutes.

It is odd, however, that the dog ran into the street. It is also possible that these kids weren't ready for the responsibility. That being said, i think it's borderline absurd for it to be a criminal offense.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think i was left at home alone until age 11, at least not regularly. That being said, there's no magical age in which it suddenly becomes OK for all kids. If kids can handle the responsibility of being home alone, they should be allowed to be left at home. It's certainly feasible that the 8 and 9 year old in this article were more than capable to be left at home for 45 minutes.

It is odd, however, that the dog ran into the street. It is also possible that these kids weren't ready for the responsibility. That being said, i think it's borderline absurd for it to be a criminal offense.

The biggest things here are the dog and the fact that it was a vacation rental. I wouldn't leave my kids alone at a vacation rental unless we'd been going there A LOT. Now, this past summer we stayed at a campground and sometimes one of the boys would stay back at the camper while we went down to the water. Camper was locked up and he was instructed not to answer the door for anyone. We had a key to get in, so we wouldn't need to knock. But we were still on the property.

I also found it interesting that in Maryland there's no age (like here in Minnesota) but if you call on a kid left home alone who's under 12 they will automatically investigate.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
By that age our vacations were often camping. I'd be 'left alone' far longer than 45 minutes. Of course things were generally reversed from this. Parents at the campsite and kids running free.

In this day and age if I were a police officer and was called because the dogs are out and the kids are trying to round them up (and the rental is not on Highway 1!) I think there are a couple of questions I'd ask the kids that would sort of split things into a friendly or not so friendly path.

Where are your parents.

If the kids answer out getting dinner (the truth in this case). Things look brighter.

Next in today's cell phone age: How can you reach them.

If I get call mom's cell if the kids didn't do something else majorly stupid it would be help them get the dogs back in if that is still an issue and unless there is a crack lab when the dogs go through the door, time to leave.

Problem is we don't even know if these questions were asked, let alone what the answers were.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was baby sitting when I was 9 under strict instructions that we couldn't leave the house or even answer the door.

If someone came to the door, one of the things we were supposed to say was that they were taking a nap and didn't want to be disturb. Truthfully, I never needed that lie. And we were only left alone at home for an hour. School got out at 3:30pm, was home by 3:45pm parents got home by 5pm.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Given that I have boys who are 8, 9 and 10, this hits close to home for me.

Was she wrong to leave them while they were on vacation? To me that depends on how well they knew the area. I spent a good number of my summers along the main drag in Traverse City MI. My brother and I often were left to go spend our time at the beach or Pirate's Cove. On vacations to less-familiar areas, we still swam at the pool by ourselves a lot.

At what age should children be left home alone? I think it depends more on the maturity. Here in MN there is no legal age, but the suggested age is 9 or older. In our case, our 9 year old is way more mature than our 10 year old. We are just starting to get to the point where we leave the littles home alone now and then (generally for no longer than an hour). I also work 4 blocks away.

What do you guys think?

http://kwqc.com/2016/08/26/police-mom-arrested-for-leaving-kids-home-alone-45-min/

So the punishment for leaving her kids alone is forcing her to leave her kids alone?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have seen kids left alone. If they need my help. I help them. But I think of the bigger picture. Foster care . I was a foster child, So I'm not one to hurry about turning them in. No they weren't old enough to babysit them selves and a dog. Since the dog got lose. But I also think the lady could help the kids with the dog and make sure they were okay. Until the parent got home.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I doubt any kid is ready for that responsibly at 8 or 9 years old. That's why we have neighbors or people to help. Baby sitters and nannies aren't cheap. So some people have to leave their child alone. Yuck! Sad! But a part of life.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
45 minutes???!!!!

What law was broken?

Aren't children "alone" when they "walk to school", etc?

This is inSANE.

She needs a good lawyer to challenge this nonsense.
Lol! Young kids don't walk home alone. Where I live. But I do live in the city. It's not even an option. Major child abuse in my eyes. Even though I wouldn't turn it in. I also live on Foothill Blvd . Route 66.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I doubt any kid is ready for that responsibly at 8 or 9 years old. That's why we have neighbors or people to help. Baby sitters and nannies aren't cheap. So some people have to leave their child alone. Yuck! Sad! But a part of life.

So, 11 year olds can baby sit, but a 9-year old can't be left alone for 45 minutes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, 11 year olds can baby sit, but a 9-year old can't be left alone for 45 minutes?

When I was 7, my parents would leave me in the car while they shopped. I had my nose in a book the entire time. These days, that could get them a broken window and a CPS visit.

I wasn't ready to be left home alone at that age, but I could be left in the car.

It seems there's no middle ground here. I WANT people to be involved and caring about other children, but that also means being involved with the parents, not just calling police.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Lol! Young kids don't walk home alone. Where I live. But I do live in the city. It's not even an option. Major child abuse in my eyes. Even though I wouldn't turn it in. I also live on Foothill Blvd . Route 66.

LOL I know Foothill Blvd well indeed. (it's a very long blvd.)
and i agree that OP situation was major childhood abuse.
even emergencies can be handled with the help of neighbors,
so there's really no excuse.
I wasn't left alone at home until i was 12 years old.
nor were my kids left by themselves until they were that age.

I walked to and from school with friends until I was in High School
and my parents wanted to know everywhere I went.
there were places that i could ride my bike and places where I couldn't.
and if i walked downtown to shop, they wanted to know where i was going.

(and no, i wasn't allowed out at night to 'cruise D street').

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LOL I know Foothill Blvd well indeed. (it's a very long blvd.)
and i agree that OP situation was major childhood abuse.
even emergencies can be handled with the help of neighbors,
so there's really no excuse.
I wasn't left alone at home until i was 12 years old.
nor were my kids left by themselves until they were that age.

I walked to and from school with friends until I was in High School
and my parents wanted to know everywhere I went.
there were places that i could ride my bike and places where I couldn't.
and if i walked downtown to shop, they wanted to know where i was going.

(and no, i wasn't allowed out at night to 'cruise D street').

why do you say this case was child abuse?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I walked to and from school when I was in kindergarten, sometimes by myself, sometimes with friends, but generally not with my parents. It was a busy street, too. Our parents taught us about not talking to strangers and about staying out of the street. Back in my day, homes would have a big red hand in the window to let us know it was a safe house for us to go to. Once, when walking home from school, I encountered a big dog who wouldn't move out of my way and was acting very aggressive. The house nearby had a red hand so I was able to back up slowly to the door and ask the lady to call my mom at home. She also called the police and animal control.

If we as neighbors would help TAKE CARE of our children rather than just kneejerking and calling the police, the world would be a better place.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0