Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
But surely this applies only to Eve? I mean...if we're being literal and all.
Not sure how you are coming to that conclusion. Were Adam and Eve not the representatives of humanity? The Scriptures continually reference them over and over as an example for us in many ways.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those who are most attracted to authority tend to have no interest in accountability and responsibility.
That's how in Ephesians 5, he gave many more instructions in how husbands should treat wives. When a wife submits the husband is definitely responsible for the consequences. However a women should not sin in this. Ananias' wife died when she backed up her husband's lie.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One could almost equate submission with freedom. (If yr husband is righteous, else it's a hard thing to do.)

When you submit to the Lord's will you place the consequences in His hands. His burden is light. You deal with the consequences with peace and the strength He gives. Often you have joy too. Submission and obedience to the Father gives you such freedom in your spirit and mind that it ends up the only course worth taking.

• Winner
Reactions: HeLeadethMe
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One could almost equate submission with freedom. (If yr husband is righteous, else it's a hard thing to do.)

When you submit to the Lord's will you place the consequences in His hands. His burden is light. You deal with the consequences with peace and the strength He gives. Often you have joy too. Submission and obedience to the Father gives you such freedom in your spirit and mind that it ends up the only course worth taking.
There is a great sense of peace in the words you use here.

• Agree
Reactions: HeLeadethMe
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dyed my hair last week. First time since November, before that it was a couple of years ago.

Why, vanity? Maybe... it was faded by my hair colour kind of fading. What colour, dark brown.. the colour my gair was before my thyroid messed up. Who am I trying to impress? No one. I just want to look a little tidier than I have been. Strengthens your testimony if you don't look a mess.

As for make up, I wear very little. Just enough to not look tired.

Modest? I hope so. My body is never on show. Legs, shoulders, chest covered

Unfortunately, my clothes are old. Which I don't mind (don't like to give much thought to what I wear as long as its smart enough for each situation). However, my friend thinks I need to go out and buy new clothes, especially some dresses. I said if I wear dresses people more likely to look at me and I don't want to draw attention incase it causes sin.

I think dyeing my hair was ok. You don't want people to think your unhinged for following christ. If you look too frumpy they aren't likely to want to know more about Christ. It's like deliberately making yrself look like your fasting and making yourself a spectacle to not make any effort at all.

It takes me about 5-8 minutes to get ready in the morning. 20 for church if I'm straightening my hair. Which has only been done a few times in the last year. If not 5-8 minutes.
My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without putting on her face. I buy a lot of shopping but she always chooses her own dye, because I wouldn't get the colour right!

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
ndeed, the Christian conscious plays a role. There is no set time for any person. For me, I take a grand total of about five minutes to get ready every day. In my mind, anything past 30 minutes is far too long and it goes beyond just the bare necessities.

30 minutes isn't long enough to dry my hair. See? It's utterly subjective. I have long (hip length) thick hair. To dry it before leaving the house is about an hour. That's just standing there with a hair dryer. Then there's the days I shave my legs, or other things...30 minutes would be a bare minimum for me to shower, do something with my hair and get dressed. So, again, your ideas are utterly subjective.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
30 minutes isn't long enough to dry my hair. See? It's utterly subjective. I have long (hip length) thick hair. To dry it before leaving the house is about an hour. That's just standing there with a hair dryer. Then there's the days I shave my legs, or other things...30 minutes would be a bare minimum for me to shower, do something with my hair and get dressed. So, again, your ideas are utterly subjective.
I didn't include showering in my getting ready times. I often leave the house with wet hair so.. drying my hair isn't included either. I don't. My hair dries presentably on it's own happily for me.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I often leave the house with wet hair so.. drying my hair isn't included either. I don't. My hair dries presentably on it's own happily for me.

And that would look unprofessional. Showing up to teach, go to a meeting, presentation, etc. with wet hair is unprofessional. It looks like I didn't bother to take enough time to get ready. So, again, utterly subjective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
My goodness, try not to strain yourself reading with one eye closed. Please read my entire statement:

Indeed, the Christian conscience plays a role. There is no set time for any person. For me, I take a grand total of about five minutes to get ready every day. In my mind, anything past 30 minutes is far too long and it goes beyond just the bare necessities.

Different occasions demand longer periods of time, of course. If I have to wear a suit and tie or even a tuxedo (generally for a wedding) it takes me longer because I am presenting myself on behalf of other people and not just myself. Yet I never slip into immodesty.​

So in your case, it takes a long time to dry your hair. That means you will, by necessity, take longer than me to prepare yourself. Again, modesty is not only physical expressions. It is also a mindset.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without putting on her face. I buy a lot of shopping but she always chooses her own dye, because I wouldn't get the colour right!
When I wear no make up people are more impolite towards me and more judgemental. There is a reason why a lot of women wear make up, sometimes it is so we get treated properly.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And that would look unprofessional. Showing up to teach, go to a meeting, presentation, etc. with wet hair is unprofessional. It looks like I didn't bother to take enough time to get ready. So, again, utterly subjective.
I guess this is why a lot of ppl in business try to avoid hair that is straggly and loose and unkempt and keep it well cut.

123rf dot com

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Indeed, the Christian conscious plays a role. There is no set time for any person. For me, I take a grand total of about five minutes to get ready every day. In my mind, anything past 30 minutes is far too long and it goes beyond just the bare necessities.

First it's CONSCIENCE. "Conscious" just means you're not comatose.

Again, what I bolded was a SUBJECTIVE statement when you stated that anything over 30 minutes was too long. You are dealing from your own ideas, not anything that would be universally accepted.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Precisely. My hair dries quickly. Just above mid back and fine. Doesn't look fine but the strands are. It's dry before long. I also shouldn't leave house with wet hair apparently but done it for 20 plus years... used to it.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
First it's CONSCIENCE. "Conscious" just means you're not comatose.
I appreciate the correction. I had not caught it so I will go back and correct it.

Again, what I bolded was a SUBJECTIVE statement when you stated that anything over 30 minutes was too long. You are dealing from your own ideas, not anything that would be universally accepted.
And I have never stated otherwise.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
And I have never stated otherwise.

So, what was the point of your screed? Again, worry about you. Do what you think you need to do. Let the rest of us do what we need to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
So, what was the point of your screed? Again, worry about you. Do what you think you need to do. Let the rest of us do what we need to do.
Do you never discuss subjective matters with anyone? I am providing my position on modesty based on my readings and experiences. You are free to disagree with that as you are free to disagree with anyone when it comes to their interpretations.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I wear no make up people are more impolite towards me and more judgemental. There is a reason why a lot of women wear make up
You're quite right. Although it's hardly compulsory, there is a strong reason for it.

For years also it used to be that in business situations where men would typically wear neckties, it was understood that women would typically wear earrings; not strictly obligatory, but just sensible. I know that today in business both genders sometimes go for a more minimalist look sometimes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.