Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A commodity is something bought and sold on the market. My body is not a commodity.
Then what then is this that we say? "Sex SELLS" It has been a commodity for all time and unless a woman gives it to her husband then she is a prostitute.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then what then is this that we say? "Sex SELLS" It has been a commodity for all time and unless a woman gives it to her husband then she is a prostitute.
Wow. No, she isn't. "Sex" may or may not be a commodity; my body certainly is not. My body is not "sex", despite whatever you may think of women.

If she sells her body for money, she is a prostitute. Men can also sell their own bodies and be prostitutes. People who do not sell their bodies are not prostitutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The biblical context of modesty is not restricted to sexuality but focuses on not using ones appearance to shame others, specifically those that are poor.

Just wear clothing that is comfortable, practical, and pleasing to you, and forget about other peoples wandering eyes. That is their responsibility. Anything else is really just internalized misogyny that sexualizes womens bodies.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Wow. No, she isn't. "Sex" may or may not be a commodity; my body certainly is not. My body is not "sex", despite whatever you may think of women.

If she sells her body for money, she is a prostitute. Men can also sell their own bodies and be prostitutes. People who do not sell their bodies are not prostitutes.
It is a commodity if it can be bartered and traded with for money. So get over it.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a commodity if it can be bartered and traded with for money.
No, it is a commodity if it IS bartered and traded for money.

Do you consider your body and soul commodities? Do you consider your parents commodities?
So get over it.
No, you get over it and stop calling people prostitutes who aren't.

• Agree
Reactions: Deniz
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No, it is a commodity if it IS bartered and traded for money.
No, you get over it and stop calling people prostitutes who aren't.
Is rice not a commodity because you grew it from the ground and ate it yourself? You didn't sell it so it's not a commodity? You're plain wrong. Sex sells and it is sold because it is a commodity first.

Understanding this reality about our images we need to be careful not to put our bodies on display, whether we are walking down the street or in a photoshoot.

Upvote 0

MamaBear777

Jun 20, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Have you talked to your husband about that? If you and your body "are for him," then I would think his opinion would be of primary interest before asking a bunch of us unknowns spread across the cyber universe.

Hi Dave,

My husband is generally happy with what I wear, although we both agree some shorts and skirts/dresses are too short, and lean more to sexy/risque rather than just pretty.

I just wanted to know if there was a handy online shop or retailer that stocked pretty but modest clothes. Just something without cleavage/bum hanging out and that isn't so tight that you may as well be wearing nothing.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is rice not a commodity because you grew it from the ground and ate it yourself? You didn't sell it so it's not a commodity?
That particular rice was not bought, sold or bartered for money, so that rice was not a commodity, but that is not to say that rice is never a commodity or rice in general.

You're plain wrong. Sex sells and it is sold because it is a commodity first.
That's not what the slogan "sex sells" means, you know. The phrase means that sex is used to sell other things such as cars. Some people do buy and sell sex, the act, and some don't. If you do, then that's you, not me.

Understanding this reality about our images we need to be careful not to put our bodies on display, whether we are walking down the street or in a photoshoot.
Not everything is about money or sex. To believe that it is, is a very, very sad view of life.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That particular rice was not bought, sold or bartered for money, so that rice was not a commodity, but that is not to say that rice is never a commodity or rice in general.

That's not what the slogan "sex sells" means, you know. The phrase means that sex is used to sell other things such as cars. Some people do buy and sell sex, the act, and some don't. If you do, then that's you, not me.

Not everything is about money or sex. To believe that it is, is a very, very sad view of life.
You contradict yourself. First you say sex is used to sell other things then you say not everything is about money or sex. When sex is used to sell mundane things then we have certainly made everything about sex. And is sexual intercourse committed to sell the car? No. Just the body on display. Anything like this is sexual in nature and is a gross neglect of God's word. We are not to put our bodies on display because they are a commodity. Putting them on display is indirectly selling our bodies which is prostitution. So all models in photoshoots who display their bodies are also prostitutes. They are selling their body for money. It doesn't have to actually be sexual intercourse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MamaBear777

Jun 20, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
While I don't mind if you guys thrash it out over the modesty/lust thing at all, I would just emphasise that dressing more modestly is something I've been convicted about, so either way I will be taking steps in that direction.

As a previous poster so aptly put it - getting rid of anything Kardashian-y.

Our bodies are the temple of the living God (how amazing is that!?) I want to show mine some respect and clothe it appropriately.

Will check out the Jewish clothing stores! Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

MamaBear777

Jun 20, 2018
Northern Ireland
✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The biblical context of modesty is not restricted to sexuality but focuses on not using ones appearance to shame others, specifically those that are poor.

Just wear clothing that is comfortable, practical, and pleasing to you, and forget about other peoples wandering eyes. That is their responsibility. Anything else is really just internalized misogyny that sexualizes womens bodies.

Yes, a very valid point about not shaming the poor, i had came across this when I was looking into it all. Thankfully I've never been one for designer labels or fancy things anyway, so there's very little that I have to get rid of or work on in that area.

Previously i had been dressing to attract attention, which i do think is wrong.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Dave,

My husband is generally happy with what I wear, although we both agree some shorts and skirts/dresses are too short, and lean more to sexy/risque rather than just pretty.

I just wanted to know if there was a handy online shop or retailer that stocked pretty but modest clothes. Just something without cleavage/bum hanging out and that isn't so tight that you may as well be wearing nothing.
Ok good. As long as you two are in agreement. That was my point.

Reactions: MamaBear777
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You contradict yourself. First you say sex is used to sell other things then you say not everything is about money or sex.
That's not a contradiction. Sex is notoriously used to sell products, but that does not make "everything" about money or sex. Seriously.
When sex is used to sell mundane things then we have certainly made everything about sex.
Nonsense, there way are more things in this life than buying and selling mundane things whether advertisers use sex as a gimmick or not.

And is sexual intercourse committed to sell the car? No. Just the body on display.
And sometimes not even the body! Sometimes it's just the hands or the face!!

We are not to put our bodies on display because they are a commodity.
That doesn't even make sense.

Putting them on display is indirectly selling our bodies which is prostitution.
No, it isn't, neither one. Displaying your body (beach, for instance) is not indirectly selling anything unless you are, you know, actually selling something. And selling something, not your body or soul, is not prostitution.

So all models in photoshoots who display their bodies are also prostitutes. They are selling their body for money. It doesn't have to actually be sexual intercourse.
That's a false equivalence unless you are using the word "prostitution" metaphorically - in which case, just about any job can be called "prostitution" and any worker a prostitute.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, the cup is down about 1/2, and NO I do not want it more than God.

OK here is where the tires meet the road. What is meant by "desire?"

the Greek word there is epithumeo. 2 forms of that word are used in a verse in Luke where our Lord tells the disciples of His desire to eat the last supper. I will use "lust" for epithumeo (both in the noun and verb forms)

Luke 22:15
And he said unto them, With [lust] I have [lusted] to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

Epithumeo can be any strong desire, good or bad. But in Matt 5 it is used in context of discussing the 10 commandments. In the Septuagint, Epithumeo is used for the Hebrew word we render "covet." So in this context, perhaps covet would be a more useful English rendering. Coveting involves wanting something owned by someone else; that thing itself, and not some equivalent alternative.

So to "lust" or "covet" after someone's wife is to want to take her as your own. I do not believe just "enjoying the view" rises to that level.

I don't know about you, but a friendly smile and a twinkling eye would be stronger temptations to want her for my wife (lust according to Matt 5) than how much skin she was showing.
realy? So inappropriate content is ok too? As you said it can be good or bad lust, therefore it can possibly be bad. You are saying inappropriate content is ok. I disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said its ok to look at women, didnt you?
There is a difference between what the op was talking about and inappropriate content.

Upvote 0