✟16,092.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys!

First time starting a thread, so go easy on me! Lately I have been personally convicted by the Lord about the clothes that I wear. Now while I know everyone definition of modest is different, and some people may feel the way they dress is fine, I PERSONALLY have been convicted of this.

Because I belong to my husband and my body is for him.

So as not to provide a stumbling block for any other believers or less anyone to lust. (There's a difference between looking nice and looking sexy). I know you can't control what goes on in other people's heads and men can still be attracted by nice eyes/your personality etc.

I'm not here to get on my soap box. This is just how I've been feeling in myself and where my relationship with the Lord has taken me. I also know that being modest is also to do with the personality and not just clothing AND I don't want to get too legalistic.

Phew! With all that covered I'll get to my question! Does anyone know of any shops in the UK or that ship to the UK that do nice, Modest clothing. Just thinking floaty maxi skirts and dresses, that type of thing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As a man who has struggled with inappropriate contentography and lusting after women all my life, I say to you THANK YOU!!! You have no idea how much that encourages me to see a woman take responsibility for HER part in the struggle. And yes you are right in being convicted for the detriment to women is much greater than men. For so it says:

And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin. ~Luke 17:1-2

Therefore the detriment of women causing us men to lust by their promiscuous ways is much greater than the sin we commit. It is NOT good to put a stumbling block in front of anyone!

Therefore I say again, thank you! Please teach your women to be as you are and to defend for your men that we might walk in purity before God.

I've always wanted to make a chic modest clothing line for women because of this very thing. So that women would have a very good choice to be modest in the present age. Maybe you could do this instead? I don't know but I really wish I had the money to start a clothing business for this very reason! Women need to learn that their bodies is a commodity in this earth and they ought not to display it for everyone!

Drink water from your own cistern,
flowing water from your own well.
Should your springs be scattered abroad,
streams of water in the streets?
Let them be for yourself alone,
and not for strangers with you.

~Proverbs 5:15-17

Women should take this seriously. It is their very life.

• Friendly
Reactions: MamaBear777
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you talked to your husband about that? If you and your body "are for him," then I would think his opinion would be of primary interest before asking a bunch of us unknowns spread across the cyber universe.

Reactions: ubicaritas
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you talked to your husband about that? If you and your body "are for him," then I would think his opinion would be of primary interest before asking a bunch of us unknowns spread across the cyber universe.
The OP is worrying about others as well. I think thats a good thing.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi guys!

First time starting a thread, so go easy on me! Lately I have been personally convicted by the Lord about the clothes that I wear. Now while I know everyone definition of modest is different, and some people may feel the way they dress is fine, I PERSONALLY have been convicted of this.

So as not to provide a stumbling block for any other believers or less anyone to lust. (There's a difference between looking nice and looking sexy). I know you can't control what goes on in other people's heads and men can still be atyrsctss by nice eywa/your personality etc.

I'm not here to get on my soap box. This is just how I've been feeling in myself and where my relationship with the Lord has taken me. I also know that being modest is also to do with the personality and not just clothing AND I don't want to get to legalistic.

Phew! With all that covered I'll get to my question! Does anyone know of any shops in the UK or that ship to the UK that do nice, Modest clothing. Just thinking floaty maxi skirts and dresses, that type of thing.

Thanks!
Whatever is modest in your surroundings is fine.
Maybe your tribe doesn't wear clothes, I don't know.
Some countries only allow women to show the eyes.

1200px-Burqa_IMG_1127.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Chinchilla
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whatever is modest in your surroundings is fine.
Be not conformed to the world.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Reactions: Deniz
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The OP is worrying about others as well. I think thats a good thing.
I get that and agree it is a good thing.
But I believe her husband should have the first word in that discussion.

If she had NOT said "Because I belong to my husband and my body is for him;" then it would not be so important to hear his side. But since she did ...

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I get that and agree it is a good thing.
But I believe her husband should have the first word in that discussion.

If she had NOT said "Because I belong to my husband and my body is for him;" then it would not be so important to hear his side. But since she did ...
Me personally, i wouldn't want other men to lust after my wife. Its unholy and worldly.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be not conformed to the world.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

That covers the renewing of your mind and not your clothing.

If you think that means you must live on the moon, then I'll debate that further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That covers the renewing of your mind and not your clothing.

If you think that means you must live on the moon, then I'll debate that further.
Is it Gods will that we allow others to lust after us? Should we not cover up for their sake as well as our own? What would love say?

Is dressing sexy more important than that? I believe its worldly to dress sexy in public, so we should allow God to renew our mind so we will not be conformed to the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Deniz
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i wouldn't want other men to lust after my wife.
I am sure no husband would.

But I have to wonder - what definition of "lust" you are using in this context? And if it actually fits the Biblical definition. (from Matt 5)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
to lust is to desire something.
I desire to drink this cup of coffee on my desk. Is that lust?

Be more specific, and tell me how it lines up with the definition used in Matt 5.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I desire to drink this cup of coffee on my desk. Is that lust?

Be more specific, and tell me how it lines up with the definition used in Matt 5.
It could be i guess. Do you love coffee more than God? To desire another mans wife is a sin, and is lust. Is all lust bad? No obviously we can lust after our own wife. However, even that is to be moderated and not loved, because we are commanded not to love the world.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. 17 The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It could be i guess. Do you love coffee more than God?
Well, the cup is down about 1/2, and NO I do not want it more than God.
To desire another mans wife is a sin, and is lust.
OK here is where the tires meet the road. What is meant by "desire?"

the Greek word there is epithumeo. 2 forms of that word are used in a verse in Luke where our Lord tells the disciples of His desire to eat the last supper. I will use "lust" for epithumeo (both in the noun and verb forms)

Luke 22:15
And he said unto them, With [lust] I have [lusted] to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

Epithumeo can be any strong desire, good or bad. But in Matt 5 it is used in context of discussing the 10 commandments. In the Septuagint, Epithumeo is used for the Hebrew word we render "covet." So in this context, perhaps covet would be a more useful English rendering. Coveting involves wanting something owned by someone else; that thing itself, and not some equivalent alternative.

So to "lust" or "covet" after someone's wife is to want to take her as your own. I do not believe just "enjoying the view" rises to that level.

I don't know about you, but a friendly smile and a twinkling eye would be stronger temptations to want her for my wife (lust according to Matt 5) than how much skin she was showing.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi guys!

So as not to provide a stumbling block for any other believers or less anyone to lust. (There's a difference between looking nice and looking sexy). I know you can't control what goes on in other people's heads and men can still be atyrsctss by nice eywa/your personality etc.

I'm not here to get on my soap box. This is just how I've been feeling in myself and where my relationship with the Lord has taken me. I also know that being modest is also to do with the personality and not just clothing AND I don't want to get to legalistic.

Thanks!
Have you looked into the orthodox Jewish or traditional Muslim stores in the UK? They tend to be very modest and some are quite pretty as well.

Women need to learn that their bodies is a commodity
A commodity is something bought and sold on the market. My body is not a commodity.

• Winner
Reactions: ubicaritas
Upvote 0