Leland, North Carolina
✟7,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While watching a Jason Statham movie the other day my wife and I started talking about if we should not watch films such as Crank, or other films that do not glorify God. Much of today's entertainment industry goes against the values that Christian's believe in. Sexual immorality, murder, adultery, taking the Lord's name in vain, these are all almost requirements in today's movie scripts and music lyrics. Our truck license plate is NOTW 1 which many poeple are familiar with the C28 stores and the NOTW ( Not of this World) clothing line. By wearing NOTW clothing and proclaiming myself as a Christian, am I hypocritical in liking movies and music of this world?

Jayangel81

Child of the Most High
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
Long Island Ny, USA
✟49,584.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Movies of today are not really healthy for the viewer. I have taken out probably about 90% of tv and movies out of my life. I personally felt a tug and conviction from God.

Its funny last night I was just talking to Him and i basically told Him that I think its time to end tv period. I mean I could be in His Word or ministering to others or even spending more time with Him. But that is something personally between me and Him.

Let me ask you a question tho, do you really believe He wants us to watch movies that are filled with sexual immorality, blasphemy all that killing and stuff? were children to Him. It matters to Him what we take into ourselves just like a earthly mother and father would..normally.

Thats why I personally feel its time for me to wrap things up.(not there but getting there lol) But ask yourself that question and you may just find some truth.

People say, "its just entertainment" "Its not real" But I think things can easily affect our spirit even if we dont nessasarily "feel" the effect of it.

This goes for all sorts of things we do in our time. music, what we wear ect ect.

And our Father knows this. Spend some time in prayer with Him about this. And be open to it. He will answer you:)

God Bless!

Upvote 0

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's where it becomes difficult. When there is obious in in a movie, then the issue is far more clear. But in entertainment that simply ignore God we must ask deeper questions. Such as can there be true moral neutrality.

Looked at one way, every talent we have is God given. Furthermore, we are to be God centered, walk with Him at all times and love Him with all that we are. Given that, is it possible to make movies or music that do not glorify God wihtout it being sin? Is it possible to be entertained by such media without sinning?

I do not have these answers but have been thinking a lot about it lately.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What we like about movies is the same thing that makes them potentially risky --that they envelop and engulf us... driving out distractions.

Learning theories show different percentages of retention for input: audio, visual, tactile, etc... but when combined, the percentage is higher than the sum of each separate mode. A multimedia experience is powerful in influencing our opinions and perception of the world.

Upvote 0
M

Malachi425

What we like about movies is the same thing that makes them potentially risky --that they envelop and engulf us... driving out distractions.

Right, movies distract us from our real lives, almost to the point where we feel like we are a part of the movie, especially if we can relate to the characters. But where do we as Christians distinguish between whether a movie is morally right to see or not? I know it probably depends on the person, but how can I not want to see movies like Wanted or Hellboy 2??? They look like really good movies....so do we just go to see them and not listen to any of the projections of life, morals, or lessons expressed by the producers???

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are certain things I am more sensitive to (against), and base my decisions on -- as a person, not just as a Christian.

• Voyeurism -- holding the audience to watch others' intimacy
  • Promotion of infidelity or get-what-you-want mentality
  • Promotion of, or lingering on abuse
  • No value for others' property, efforts, work ethic
  • Crass bathroom humour
  • Adam Sandler carelessness
  • Chevy Chase-like accelerating despair

There are R-rated movies that are violent, like Last Samuria, that almost have to be violent to show the situation. Those do not disturb my spirit as much as immature jokes.

Then there are some things that unexpectedly catch me during a movie -- the amount of destruction in a chase scene that is warranted as necessary, in order to save one character's life (a hundred lives trampled as long as your favorite hero lives).

The anti-individualism and promotion of mass devotion to a cause in 300 (buddies made me watch it! I swear it was a military training movie).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The scary thing about Christian media bands are that they tend to isolate, us from the people we are here for.. It's kinda like a hospital who's Doctors don't like treating morally questionable obtained diseases or injuries.. It's way too easy to cross the boundary between scruples, and self-righteousness.

There are those of us who need to be ban from media because of serious spiritual weakness. and then there are others who find there calling in Quietly protesting the Junk we are exposed to daily.. But for most of us we are integrated in with the rest of society. We blur the connection with this world and struggle to maintain a relationship with the lord.. I think a complete media Ban is foolishness. One, very few of us have the simple will power to just cut ourselves out of "modern life" and two if we did have this will power, we would just find another worldly outlet to occupy our time with.

I think the solution here is fasting, not food, but our hunger for media: TV, Movies, Internet, News, all of it! Start with a day, move to a weekend, then maybe a week, or a month every now and then. But here is where Media fasting differs from a media Ban. We treat the Fast as a fast. Spend time you would normally be devoted to the plasma, and turn it over to develop your relationship with God. Even if you can only tune out for 1 day a month. It's something, and if your serious God will take your mustard seed, and move a mountain with it.

If you feel you shouldn't watch something then don't, but don't do it because of what "Other Christians" think of it.. Do it because of your convictions, Other wise the little bit of "luke warm" Faith you do exhibit here won't even be yours, but that of your peers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Be very cautious of any movie you view, it's all mainly anti-Christ.

Use commonsense.

If you are content in watching movies that has filthy language and gory content and overzealous sex, then you better lay yourself down before HIS CROSS, because that the first sign of worldliness and not commonsense.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0