Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Never heard of it sorry. I didnt know pentecostals/charismatics had their own version of the bible, as far as I know they use the same ones baptists use.

Bibles arent divided into denoms with the exception of catholic bibles.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Never heard of it sorry. I didnt know pentecostals/charismatics had their own version of the bible, as far as I know they use the same ones baptists use.

Bibles arent divided into denoms with the exception of catholic bibles.
Nor had I heard of it.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What do people think of the Modern English version (MEV) ? Also is it a primarily Charismatic/Pentecostal version ? I'm thinking of getting it but I don't know.
From what I can tell it is a formal equivalent translation based on the KJV. I wouldn't have a problem with it. It was published by the people who publish Charisma magazine but I don't believe it to be a primary Charismatic translation.

Upvote 0

turtlejoy

Aug 19, 2015
✟11,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I can tell it is a formal equivalent translation based on the KJV. I wouldn't have a problem with it. It was published by the people who publish Charisma magazine but I don't believe it to be a primary Charismatic translation.

Yeah I haven't noticed any Charismatic or Pentecostal slant so far. It's a translation that was put into motion by a military chaplain that was eventually taken up by a publisher (Charisma / Passio) that just happens to be a Charismatic organization. They were basically a publisher who didn't have their own Bible translation yet (and it can get expensive paying royalties when quoting from translations by other publishers) and decided to pick up MEV. I could be wrong, but that's what I picked up.
That said, I trust it. My pastor reads mostly from NKJV and MEV's rendering is similar if not the same at some areas.
MEV however does NOT employ italics like KJV and NKJV, which is mildly disappointing for me. The footnotes are very sparse but I like that, many of the pages is just pure scripture on the page, no distracting footnotes... so for me it makes a great reading Bible, and I can remain using my KJV as my source study Bible

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I just visited the website and look forward to reading though it.

Edited.

Just this translation does use the modern form of textual criticism, however minimal, not a fan. At least the notes are at the bottom of the page and not in the text. (see John 8)

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: Good price for a copy.

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's an issue I found, why does the MEV say Elhanan killed Goliath, I thought it was David?

2 Samuel 21:19 Once again, there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob. On this occasion, Elhanan the son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite struck down Goliath the Gittite, whose spear shaft was like a weaver’s beam.

Why does the MEV say all the people led out of Egypt rebelled, weren't Joshua and Caleb faithful?

Hebrews 3:16 For who were they who heard and rebelled? Was it not all of those who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's an issue I found, why does the MEV say Elhanan killed Goliath, I thought it was David?

2 Samuel 21:19 Once again, there was a battle with the Philistines at Gob. On this occasion, Elhanan the son of Jaare-Oregim the Bethlehemite struck down Goliath the Gittite, whose spear shaft was like a weaver’s beam.

Why does the MEV say all the people led out of Egypt rebelled, weren't Joshua and Caleb faithful?

Hebrews 3:16 For who were they who heard and rebelled? Was it not all of those who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?

I'm not sure what your issue is with Hebrews 3:16.

2 Samuel could be "typo".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not sure what your issue is with Hebrews 3:16.

2 Samuel could be "typo".

Why would they include wrong information in a book that is supposed to be the word of God? The King James version correctly reads that Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath, rather than Goliath himself. As for Hebrews 3:16, recall that in Numbers 14:30 God declared that the people he led out of Egypt would not enter the promised land as the result of their disobedience, except for Joshua and Caleb who were faithful. The King James version correctly reads that not everyone disobeyed, but the MEV says all of them did, which is a lie.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What do people think of the Modern English version (MEV) ? Also is it a primarily Charismatic/Pentecostal version ? I'm thinking of getting it but I don't know.

One of my major difficulties with the MEV is its reliance on the Textus Receptus for the NT. I have written about this in, The Greek Text, the KJV, and English translations.

As a teacher of NT Greek, there are other translations that I would choose before the MEV. These would include the NASB, ESV, NIV and NLT, the first two following formal equivalence translation philosophy and the latter two following dynamic equivalence translation philosophy.

Oz

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would they include wrong information in a book that is supposed to be the word of God? The King James version correctly reads that Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath, rather than Goliath himself. As for Hebrews 3:16, recall that in Numbers 14:30 God declared that the people he led out of Egypt would not enter the promised land as the result of their disobedience, except for Joshua and Caleb who were faithful. The King James version correctly reads that not everyone disobeyed, but the MEV says all of them did, which is a lie.

Maybe the translator and editor both just didn't catch the mistake regarding David. It happens.

As for Hebrews, that's an issue over how one views the KJVs accuracy. And I know how this fight ends and I'm not getting in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
And what does the Hebrew text say?

I can't read Hebrew, but I don't have to in order to see those examples I gave are clear contradictions within the new version itself. I should hope the originals don't include blatant lies like those, otherwise my faith is in vain. If some of the bible is a lie what makes the rest of it trustworthy?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"יט וַתְּהִי-עוֹד הַמִּלְחָמָה בְּגוֹב, עִם-פְּלִשְׁתִּים; וַיַּךְ אֶלְחָנָן בֶּן-יַעְרֵי אֹרְגִים בֵּית הַלַּחְמִי, אֵת גָּלְיָת הַגִּתִּי, וְעֵץ חֲנִיתוֹ, כִּמְנוֹר אֹרְגִים. {ס}"

Translated: "And there was again war with the Philistines at Gob; and Elhanan the son of Jaare-oregim the Beth-lehemite slew Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam."

Source

John Gill comments:

"Verse 19

And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines,.... Another battle with them in the same place:

1 Chronicles 20:5; where his name is said to be Lahmi, for not Goliath himself was slain, though some so interpret it, and take Elhanan to be David; so Jarchi, and with which agrees the Targum; but he was slain not at Gob, but in the valley of Elah, nor had David any such name as Elhanan; he was one of David's worthies, 2 Samuel 23:24; where he is called the son of Dodo, and in 1 Chronicles 20:5, the son of Jair; and Lahmi there may not be the name of Goliath's brother, but, as here, the country name of Elhanan; for the wordsF26Vid. Buxtorf. Anticritic. par. 2. c. 2. p. 421. there may be rendered,"and Elhanan the son of Jair, the Lehemite (i.e. the Bethlehemite), slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite,'and so perfectly agrees, with this:

the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam; not of Goliath's brother, but of Goliath himself, 1 Samuel 17:7.

Source

It would appear that this talks of another war, in another place, at another time, by different people.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0