Not open for further replies.

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am working my way through the Gospels, and when I got to Matthew 23, and read the passages where Jesus accuses the Pharisees, it was almost like I was reading a description of some of today's religious leaders (at least some of the ones who have mega churches and appear on television...)

Your thoughts?

MATTHEW 23

1Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

2The Pharisees and the teachers of the Law are experts in the Law of Moses.

3 So obey everything they teach you, but don't do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else.

4 They pile heavy burdens on people's shoulders and won't lift a finger to help.

5 Everything they do is just to show off in front of others. They even make a big show of wearing Scripture verses on their foreheads and arms, and they wear big tassels for everyone to see.

6 They love the best seats at banquets and the front seats in the meeting places.

7 And when they are in the market, they like to have people greet them as their teachers.
Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%2023;&version=46

Carri20

Veteran
May 8, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟9,191.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am working my way through the Gospels, and when I got to Matthew 23, and read the passages where Jesus accuses the Pharisees, it was almost like I was reading a description of some of today's religious leaders (at least some of the ones who have mega churches and appear on television...)

Your thoughts?

What makes you think the big church pastors with television programs are like the Pharasies? Is it the way they preach, or their conduct behind the scenes? Just trying to paint a clearer picture for myself to understand. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Carri20 said:
Is it the way they preach, or their conduct behind the scenes?

Neither...

3 So obey everything they teach you, but don't do as they do. After all, they say one thing and do something else.
- many of them have been caught in immoral situations- whether it's financial or sexual

4 They pile heavy burdens on people's shoulders and won't lift a finger to help.
- Some ask viewers/congregations to give 'their last dime' in order to 'receive a blessing', but are transparent with how much their do or don't give.

5 Everything they do is just to show off in front of others. They even make a big show of wearing Scripture verses on their foreheads and arms, and they wear big tassels for everyone to see.
- Some are very quick to point out how God has blessed them with million dollar houses, jets, etc...

6 They love the best seats at banquets and the front seats in the meeting places.
- especially 'political' places, these days...

7 And when they are in the market, they like to have people greet them as their teachers.
- Many want you to know that they are 'anointed', a 'prophet', a 'healer'...

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I would say that most modern-day preachers are like the Pharisees. But I definitely think it's fair to point out that many of them are. However, I wouldn't call them hypocrites. They seem to say one thing (the wrong thing) then end up being a very good example of that as well.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was individuals such as these, that solidified my doubt about the truth of Christianity. Even at an early age I was able to spot their falsehood. Having nothing to compare it with, I decided, there was no God. However the issue never left my thoughts. I found my faith, through the grace of God. I wonder how many like me, never were able to get past these false teachers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
FollowingJesus said:
I don't understand...:scratch:

Godwin's law stated that the longer an online argument lasted, the more likely someone would compare their opponent to the Nazis (at which point Usenet custom would have it the argument/thread has degenerated to the point of being over). Paleoconservatarian is saying that a Christian equivalent would be a comparison to the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Joykins said:
Godwin's law stated that the longer an online argument lasted, the more likely someone would compare their opponent to the Nazis (at which point Usenet custom would have it the argument/thread has degenerated to the point of being over). Paleoconservatarian is saying that a Christian equivalent would be a comparison to the Pharisees.
It would only be equivalent (using that explanation) if we viewed these men (and women) who abuse the pulpit as 'opponents'. Personally, I don't

Harlan Norris said:
It was individuals such as these, that solidified my doubt about the truth of Christianity. Even at an early age I was able to spot their falsehood. Having nothing to compare it with, I decided, there was no God. However the issue never left my thoughts. I found my faith, through the grace of God. I wonder how many like me, never were able to get past these false teachers?
Excellent point. I wish I had a solution...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.