Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My current obsession is not to become a hypocrite. The whole of Chapter 23 Matthew is Jesus railing against Pharisees. I get the impression that God has these sinners particularly under the microscope. He really loathes them ,it appears.
As we advance our faith journey, I think Pharisee sins become more of an issue. I mean when I was living a Prodigal Son life, I may have been an outrageous sinner but I don't think I was hypocrite. Now, as I take more and more responsibility of being a Christian, I am more liable. I set myself up as a target, the minute someone knows I am of the faith. I am now in the hot seat, with all you other Christians. "They'll know we are Christians by our.........." ( hypocrisy, argumentativeness, dogmatic style of speaking, the number of times we say Praise the Lord' , our tendency to be judgemental or .... love) choose one of the above.
And may I ask how were the Pharisees different to todays Pharisees?

Last edited:

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the main difference was power. They were the government AND the religious leaders, outside of that I really see very little difference, and I need to be careful how I tread here but just... the pharisee spirit... its EVERYWHERE. And its odd how many can read the very book that points it out and not see it. Some people I think strive too hard out of guilt and that's not really being a pharisee but... this is what rings the "pharisee" bells for me...

It's the christians who think they have the bible all figured out and think they are following it all the while pointing out how others aren't, and thinking they follow it "better". That's what the pharisees did, they walked with their noses in the air convinced that they were good jews who were experts in his law and had it all figured out, they did every ritual, all the outward things necessary to appear "good", so what would that be today? I think it'd look like this..

He quotes scripture at you before even really hearing you, he doesn't associate with people he finds to be beneath him or "reprobate", he thanks God he's not going to hell smugly, he uses it as a way to feel superior and untouchable, he follows the easiest most cosmetic parts of the bible, and ignores the parts that would interfer with his routines, plans and inner heart world. And above all, he acts generous on the outside, but inside only cares about himself, his status, and his possessions.

If you see that in yourself or others, I think you can safely say you are seeing the spirit of pharisee and you need to run like the dickens from it. And I wish I could say you rarely see it but...

I'd point out some modern day pharisees I see no problem with naming names of true false teachers however, I've only been here a few days and some people really don't like that kind of thing. Might make a youtube video or something. Good question though I think it's important the church learn how to identify this spirit.

Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the book of 1 John. See if there's anything you don't do in there or anything you believe that is contradictory to any teachings in there.
Yeah I felt like adding after I posted that like... I think the thing with pharisee is that you keep the rules but you don't love God and you don't love your fellow man. You do things that APPEAR "relgious" but there's no LOVE in it. You pray vainly, repititiously, not out of the heart, stuff like that.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In my opinion, a modern day "Pharisee", would, like the Pharisee's of Jesus' day, would, perhaps be teaching many correct things, but also adding all kinds of religious regulations, traditions and demands to be kept as well. Therefore laying unbearable burdens on people and doing nothing to help.

Also, another point Jesus made about the Pharisees is that they loved to appear devout and religious, not because they really were, but to gain admiration from all who saw them. They did many things for show, not out of sincerity. They loved the praise and honour of men, more than they loved actually obeying God and honouring Him.

Jesus warned His disciples not to be like the Pharisees, who by their pride and religious demands, actually barred people from entering the Kingdom.

Today, I think that translates into likewise making religious demands of people or adding ritual or requirements to the Gospel in order to be saved.

I do not believe that it is being "Pharisaical" to hold to correct doctrine, and to rightly divide the word of truth. We should know Scripture and what it teaches, holding to the truth of God's word does not equal being a "Pharisee", though of course, we must speak the truth in love and not be arrogant or prideful.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
the Pharisees is that they loved to appear devout and religious,
that's the key similarity between ancient Pharisee and modern day one. They in fact were worshipping public opinion more than God. Anxious to hide their real self behind the mask.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yeah I felt like adding after I posted that like... I think the thing with pharisee is that you keep the rules but you don't love God and you don't love your fellow man. You do things that APPEAR "relgious" but there's no LOVE in it. You pray vainly, repititiously, not out of the heart, stuff like that.
I like your post here and other one too. You've hit the nail right on the head.

Reactions: Symph
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that's the key similarity between ancient Pharisee and modern day one. They in fact were worshipping public opinion more than God. Anxious to hide their real self behind the mask.
And perhaps the key difference is that they looked like pious religious leaders with robes and stern demeanors, and now they wave their hands around and make false gestures of praise and talk about generosity and giving and then live in huge mansions, they might be hip and young and cool or on tv and well liked. YEAH! In MY opinion, that really IS the big difference. THey aren't pious leaders like that anymore, they're smiley preachers and teachers with bubbly personalities telling you the key to christ is to come to their church or to listen to THEIR pastor or.... it's hard for me to think of those... "hit the nail on the head" terms for it but I know it when I see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I should have multi quoted but it's going so fast. It's not JUST famous leaders though. A person can have that spirit and not have power. I've had friends like that who just... they just don't GET IT. I will just be light and love and they'll find fault in the weirdest things and then try to scripturally show me why I should be like THEM and it's just like "Bro I KNOW what Jesus wants from me, and at THIS moment? It's to forgive you for your ignorance and tell you you are wrong".

It's love people. It's always been about, and it will always be about, loving christ for dying for you, loving man because he told you to. BOOM. Christianity.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Pharisees didn't practice what they preached/ demanded of others( matt23:2&3)
People may think I am harsh, but many quote Jesus words:
If you love me obey my commandments.

But then, if you ask people if they themselves obey each and every literal command of Christ, they normally go silent

Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Pharisees didn't practice what they preached/ demanded of others( matt23:2&3)
People may think I am harsh, but many quote Jesus words:
If you love me obey my commandments.

But then, if you ask people if they themselves obey each and every literal command of Christ, they normally go silent
But do you realize not everything he commanded was expected to be obeyed immediately? I mean... to explain this would take alot of text, but like... not every command Jesus gave was within our grasp and he knew this, and made them impossible sounding on purpose.... he made it clear we CAN'T follow them all... do you know what commands we MUST follow to be christians?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But do you realize not everything he commanded was expected to be obeyed immediately? I mean... to explain this would take alot of text, but like... not every command Jesus gave was within our grasp and he knew this, and made them impossible sounding on purpose.... he made it clear we CAN'T follow them all... do you know what commands we MUST follow to be christians?
Carry each others burdens( love them) and so FULFILL the law of Christ
Gal6:2

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My current obsession is not to become a hypocrite.

Not a good thing to be obsessed with. There are worse things than being a hypocrite. At least a hypocrite has standards to fall short of...

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not a good thing to be obsessed with. There are worse things than being a hypocrite. At least a hypocrite has standards to fall short of...
Something in the way I was raised. My family's unspoken motto."Dont show off, don't promise what you cant deliver and don't big note yourself"

Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wanna... clarify, we WILL follow EVERYTHING Jesus said SOME DAY. But there are things we CAN do right now, and things we CAN'T, and he died for us so we could work on the things we can't WITH HIM. Man I wish I had some auto itallics button it always looks like I'm shouting but I can't tae the time for it italics or the thoughts.... anyway.... there ARE commands you MUST follow or can't even get started. That's believing, loving, giving SOMETHING back to God, repenting and choosing to strive to please him as best you can with his help. I feel like if you aren't doing ALL those things you're not really in this fight...
Carry each others burdens( love them) and so FULFILL the law of Christ
Gal6:2
hehehehe and forgive, that's one he stresses you can't follow without. And sometimes I think we have to be praying for his help toward it, but yeah, that's what I was going for.

Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It might be getting too late for me to talk I'm not... super confident in everything I'm saying but my main point is, some of the things he said were meant to show us we weren't holy, and some were commands you must have to be his follower at all. The commands you must have are belief in him, love for him, forgiveness, love for fellow man, and the desire for relationship with him. There are no guidelines for what degree we must follow them to get into heaven, cause the bible's not a "how do I get into heaven" book, rather it's like, the harder you do those things the more treasure you have in heaven, oh but you also MUST tell people about him. However I personally can attest he'll work with you some time before convicting you for that, if you aren't evangelizing cause you need to work through things your goal should be to evangelize when they're fixed. So yeah... that's... *yawn* christianity and stuff... bye bye....

Upvote 0