Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If by anti-Semitic remarks, you mean rejection of the teaching of orthodox Judaism's denial of Jesus as the Christ who atoned for sin, that would be a correct and appropriate Christian response.

Nope, that's not what is meant by antisemitic remarks. Read the thread more closely.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If by anti-Semitism you mean rejection of the teaching of orthodox Judaism's denial of Jesus as the Christ who atoned for sin, that would be a correct Christian response.
No, theological differences are not the issue here. I mean people who say that Jews control media, banking, and are taking over the world. I even encountered that at my church when one person said that Nazis didn't bother the Greeks in WW2 and it was okay to round up the Jews. I was rather taken aback from someone saying this right before a church service started.

I'm of Jewish ancestry and have an Ashkenazi surname. I also grew up and have lived in Jewish neighborhoods so I think I'm more aware of what my Jewish friends are scared of. And I'm seeing anti-Semitic posts more frequently here. What scares me is that on other forums, anti-Semitic remarks are becoming more violent.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would say deliberate anti-Semitic remarks are rising on CF. It's very disturbing to me.

It appears to be a side-effect of growing anti-Semitic rhetoric that's been on the rise more generally. I can't help but wonder if part of the reason for this (not the entire reason, but part of it) is that the generation who saw and experienced the horrors of the Holocaust, the generation who fought in WW2 and saw the death camps first hand--that generation is slowly dying out. The survivors and the soldiers who saw these things up close, that generation is disappearing. And the further away those horrors get from living memory, the easier it becomes to forget, the easier it becomes to deny. There have always been Holocaust deniers, but they always spent most of their time hiding under the rocks. People are starting to say "the quiet part out loud" as it were.

It is disturbing. I can only imagine what our Jewish neighbors must feel right now, but we should all find it disturbing. It should shock and appall us. As Christians our sacred duty and allegiance to our Lord should provide us with a conscience that finds such things abhorrent. Provoking us to words and actions that make it clear that when the world is darkest, we are salt and light, for Christ is in our midst.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It appears to be a side-effect of growing anti-Semitic rhetoric that's been on the rise more generally. I can't help but wonder if part of the reason for this (not the entire reason, but part of it) is that the generation who saw and experienced the horrors of the Holocaust, the generation who fought in WW2 and saw the death camps first hand--that generation is slowly dying out. The survivors and the soldiers who saw these things up close, that generation is disappearing. And the further away those horrors get from living memory, the easier it becomes to forget, the easier it becomes to deny. There have always been Holocaust deniers, but they always spent most of their time hiding under the rocks. People are starting to say "the quiet part out loud" as it were.

It is disturbing. I can only imagine what our Jewish neighbors must feel right now, but we should all find it disturbing. It should shock and appall us. As Christians our sacred duty and allegiance to our Lord should provide us with a conscience that finds such things abhorrent. Provoking us to words and actions that make it clear that when the world is darkest, we are salt and light, for Christ is in our midst.

-CryptoLutheran
I'm not seeing that we should make more room for one than for another of those discriminated against.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Judaism, as we know it today, evolved out of Phariseeism ... So this means they reject God by rejecting His Son, for they deny that He is the Christ and one with the Father.

... for Reform Judaism the problem is injustice as they understand it, and the solution is to fight injustice through social, economic, and political means. In Christianity, on the other hand, the problem is sin, and the solution is Jesus Christ.
Very well put.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ, our Lord, God, and Savior,
This contradicts this:
For the Christian faith is nothing other than,

"We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only-begotten Son our Lord, who was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary (Miriam bat Joachim), who suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, buried, and dead; He descended into the lower regions, and on the third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven, and reigns at the right hand of the Father from whence He will come again to judge the living and the dead. We believe in the Holy Spirit. We believe in the holy catholic Church. We believe in the forgiveness of sins. We believe in the resurrection of the body, and the life of the Age to Come. Amen."
... in that one states Jesus is God, which is correct, while the other claims He is everything but that.

And "We believe in the holy catholic Church." if we are Christians?

Not even close.

Christian means follower of Jesus Christ. Nothing more, nothing less.

It SURE doesn't mean Christians hold to any Catholic Holiness.

Heaven forbid.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christianity did have a destructive effect on the Roman Empire.
But just like a corporate entity, the Roman Empire didn't dissolve in the process, it simply changed its public image and its approach and it happens to still be in great power today.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This contradicts this:

... in that one states Jesus is God, which is correct, while the other claims He is everything but that.

And "We believe in the holy catholic Church." if we are Christians?

Not even close.

Christian means follower of Jesus Christ. Nothing more, nothing less.

It SURE doesn't mean Christians hold to any Catholic Holiness.

Heaven forbid.

All who confess the Apostles' Creed confess and believe in the Deity of Christ.

The word catholic simply refers to the entire Christian Church. It comes from the Greek word katholikos meaning "according to the whole".

And Roman Catholics are Christians.

Thank you and have a good day.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not seeing that we should make more room for one than for another of those discriminated against.

My house is burning. Is it wrong if you, my neighbor, seeing my house on fire, call the fire department? Or would that be unfair to the houses that aren't currently on fire?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All who confess the Apostles' Creed confess and believe in the Deity of Christ.
Where does the Bible state that we must confess an Apostle's Creed?

And what is your definition of the Deity of Christ? Because some define that differently. If you are saying that Jesus Christ IS God, you are correct. If you are saying He has a God, you are wrong.
The word catholic simply refers to the entire Christian Church.
Only to Catholics, maybe.
And Roman Catholics are Christians.
They are anything but Christian.

Their most revered officials have admitted to changing multiple of the 10 Commandments.

They worship idols and they worship Mary.

They also are involved with Queen of Heaven idolatry.

Whether the average Catholic is aware of this or not, it is a certainty.

Christians are followers of Christ and His ways; Catholics are anything but Christians.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's because he was, in fact, a Jewish man.
I know some have answered to this but it bears repeating. He STILL is Jewish, called the LIon of Judah, the KING (the tribe of Judah was the Kingly Tribe).
A few people are ringing this bell pretty hard. The fact is, it depends. Jewish is a relation to Jewish people or Judaism. The Jewish leaders at the time Jesus walked the earth rejected Jesus to the point that they badgered the Roman governor Pilate into killing Jesus when Pilate did not want to. Was Jesus Jewish? To claim so now would seem disingenuous based on how things went down. Jesus believed He is the Son of God and the Jews disagreed.
Yes, the leaders, those who spoke for the people. Those who were more political than religious. Many were bought, the priesthood at the time was a fake one. Those serving were not of the Zadokian Priesthood. John who was called the Immerser, was of the Zadokian priesthood.

I think it shows their political leaning when you say 'the Jews disagreed'. This again was only the leadership, the unholy leadership for the most part. Being the son of God was a ruse for their sedition, it was about keeping the Romans happy. This is why when Pilate asked him about being a King and why when he hung a sign on the cross stating his 'crime' as being the King of the Jews; The leadership denied this and asked that the sign be changed. Pilate replied with, 'what I have written, I have written'.
I'd say Jesus was effectively excommunicated from the Jewish religion when they pushed to have the Romans kill Him, and were successful at it. Ethnically, I don't know. Is there such thing as race?

It wasn't like Catholicism or LDS where excommunication is effectively a slap on the wrist with an invitation to come back when you get your act together.

When you act overly offended about a civil disagreement it reeks of insincerity the way a woman fake cries when she wants her man to feel bad for hanging out with his friends. It's a tell. Not that you or anyone else here would do such a thing.
There's no 'excommunication'. There were believers in the One True God and there were pagans. There were factions and beliefs were polorized. The ones that really were on the right track and who probably raised John, son of Zacharias were those who moved away from Jerusalem to the desert.
Their settlement in Qumran.
Jesus has genealogical proof that he was Jewish.
I don't think anyone back then questioned it, they knew his earthly father, his mother and siblings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My house is burning. Is it wrong if you, my neighbor, seeing my house on fire, call the fire department? Or would that be unfair to the houses that aren't currently on fire?

-CryptoLutheran
Are the other houses being "discriminated against" by the fire?

The condition under discussion is discrimination.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

And what is your definition of the Deity of Christ? Because some define that differently. If you are saying that Jesus Christ IS God, you are correct. If you are saying He has a God, you are wrong.

Their most revered officials have admitted to changing multiple of the 10 Commandments.

Christians are followers of Christ and His ways; Catholics are anything but Christians.

Hi there,

You seem to be looking for some kind of debate that is unrelated to the OP. You are also making some rather unusual theological claims. There is a subforum here at CF called "Controversial Christian Theology" (here) that you might find more receptive to your ideas. This thread is certainly not the place for them, at any rate.

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Regarding the discussion of whether Jesus was (and is) a Jew.

Scripturally, there is no question that Jesus was an ethnic Jew.

Neither is there any question (again, according to Scripture) he was a religious Jew raised in the faith from birth. He fulfilled the Law perfectly, becoming the one atoning sacrifice for all.

From whence came the Jewish faith? God Himself. Jesus was and is God forevermore.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Regarding the discussion of whether Jesus was (and is) a Jew.
Scripturally, there is no question that Jesus was an ethnic Jew.
Neither is there any question (again, according to Scripture) he was a religious Jew raised in the faith from birth. He fulfilled the Law perfectly, becoming the one atoning sacrifice for all.
From whence came the Jewish faith? God Himself. Jesus was and is God forevermore.
Jesus was of the faith of Abraham and Moses, not of the Jewish leaders of his day who rejected the prophet of whom God prophesied to Moses (Dt 19:17-19); i.e., himself.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

You seem to be looking for some kind of debate that is unrelated to the OP. You are also making some rather unusual theological claims. There is a subforum here at CF called "Controversial Christian Theology" (here) that you might find more receptive to your ideas. This thread is certainly not the place for them, at any rate.
You are not the OP of this thread and you are also not a moderator on this site.

What you said to me should have been pointed at ViaCrucis first as their comments that I was responding to had absolutely nothing to do with Judaism or Christianity.

Would you be so kind as to quote my posts that contain this "controversial theology" that you accuse me of seeking debate about?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Have a nice day.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was of the faith of Abraham and Moses, not of the Jewish leaders of his day who rejected the prophet of whom God prophesied to Moses (Dt 19:17-19); i.e., himself.
Of course Jesus was a follower of the true faith and not that of the heretics. I don’t believe it is incorrect to refer to Him as Jewish in this regard.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.