Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
just a few observations, or gripes really. I have no problem discussing this with anyone:

I am no degree touting man of God, but I do have a set of eyes and a healthy respect and view on scriptures. That being said, something that I believe really grieves the Father's heart is the way modern church services play out.

*disclaimer* I speak only for the churches I have been to. I am fully aware not all churches are the same, but I have attended quite a few different ones across several denominations and with the exception of a few minor details, they are the same.

So I have no problem with the way worship plays out in the church. Whether it be hymns backed by pianos and organs, a cappella, or with an assortment of instruments.

That is about all I tend to agree with though.

Tithes... why is it necessary for churches to "pass the plate"? Perhaps someone could explain this to me. It generally only causes issues with those that do not or cannot give. At least in the smaller churches. I have seen it happen where someone doesn't give and they are approached by church leadership about failure to support the ministry. Why not set up a collection box in the building somewhere? That way people can give and not feel obligated one way or the other. I know it is more for convenience, that way there is not a line waiting to tithe at the box, just still. This one is least on my list of issues.

A big one I have is the overall structure of services themselves...

Come in, sing some songs (as if that prepares a heart for receiving God's word or whatever) then a preacher stands up and delivers a 30-45 minute sermon. Amend are said, some churches may do an "altar call" which is ludicris to me, and people leave. In most instances people in the church have nothing to do with other "members" except during Sunday services where everyone smiles & shakes hands (sometimes that doesn't even happen!)

I am not even sure the idea of what Pastors are is biblically accurate. Sure "pastors" or overseers are mentioned in scripture, but they are to "care for the flock" and watch over it. The implication is like a shepherd watches his sheep, but I haven't seen many shepherds preaching to sheep. I don't think David did either. I certainly do not think the office was meant as currently designed.

What roles and responsibilities do Pastors have?

Care for the church building
Emotional support for congregants
Preaching duties
Altar ministry
(Fill in the blank)

It is a catch all for any responsibility in the church. Now I know churches have deacons and other elders who assist in most cases, but the Lead Pastor is wayyyyyy over emphasized and burdened.

I imagine church meetings in the early days were very spontaneous. Where perhaps a man or woman led the group in a time of prayer and worship. After that a teacher would teach the scriptures to the church. Then they would partake of a full meal, the Lord's Supper (not stale wafers and a thimble of grape juice) as they fellowshipped together. This would be when real ministry began & occurred. Real church ministry occurs when intimate relationships are formed and children of God love and care for each other in a real and tangible way. I believe most the time spent together would have been in fellowship, a gathering of the community of believers.

I pray we see the church return to this model in the near future!

*edit* Just so everyone understands... this is not meant to bash churches or church goers in general. A LOT of what happens in churches today is tradition that has been passed down over the centuries. It is just time for tradition to take a back seat to truth.

Last edited:

Buckeyefor Jesus

Site Supporter
May 21, 2017
Atlanta
✟48,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may not be looking deep enough into Churches and the support they have for members. Lots of support groups in most Churches. I belong to a fairly large one in Atlanta, Ga. and we have opened a medical clinic 3 days a week for people with no health insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely with the whole passing the plate thing. I believe it's more of a tradition, but churches use it against people which is sad. I did go to a church that had a box for collecting offerings and i loved it, and i wish more churches did that.

Shame on those who condemn other for not giving. All that stems from is a lack of faith towards God to provide their needs. And many churches do that. I grew up believing that if i did not give that i was a God robber and therefore cursed with a curse. And that God was causing my stuff to break because i wasn't a faithful giver. Now imagine how full those offering plates were each week.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely with the whole passing the plate thing. I believe it's more of a tradition, but churches use it against people which is sad. I did go to a church that had a box for collecting offerings and i loved it, and i wish more churches did that.

Shame on those who condemn other for not giving. All that stems from is a lack of faith towards God to provide their needs. And many churches do that. I grew up believing that if i did not give that i was a God robber and therefore cursed with a curse. And that God was causing my stuff to break because i wasn't a faithful giver. Now imagine how full those offering plates were each week.

Calvary Chapel (???) has offering boxes in the back of the building for that purpose and I love that idea.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may not be looking deep enough into Churches and the support they have for members. Lots of support groups in most Churches. I belong to a fairly large one in Atlanta, Ga. and we have opened a medical clinic 3 days a week for people with no health insurance.

I cahllenge you to go into your current congregation and recite by name even half of the people that are "on the roles" and put a face to the name. Even if you can do so, I can guarantee you most cannot. The point is that church is meant to be an intimate gathering for fellowship where every believer is a priest and minister, not a social gathering where only a fraction do the ministry.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize that it has gone on for far too long to change, BUT I would love to see Church = Body of Christ in our comments. The small "c" on church applies to the various places of assembly. Church is, indeed, the gathering place for the Body of Christ to worship, to share God's love, to reach out to all those in the Body, not only there but in follow-ups throughout the day, the week, in the Body community, and in the lives of all persons on earth.

ByTheSpirit, while perhaps sounding a little stern for some, hits the nail on the head. The ho-hum and the doldrums of perhaps an hour on Sunday morning, the departing without knowing what other authentic members of the Body were present, without any contact with them throughout the week, without visitation in the community (nursing homes, for example; tithes and offerings for a dedicated program for beggars, street people, for example.... folks, it is a long list. I could share specific examples, but if won't.* God forgive us for becoming a club.

*Well...... I will. I reached out to our Body for financial assistance for a victim of the New Orleans hurricane, who had lost everything, and was relocated to our city. Not one person responded in a 300-member congregation. I recall asking the choir what a particular word meant in a song they loved to sing. No one, including the Choir Director, knew.

End of story.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realize that it has gone on for far too long to change, BUT I would love to see Church = Body of Christ in our comments. The small "c" on church applies to the various places of assembly. Church is, indeed, the gathering place for the Body of Christ to worship, to share God's love, to reach out to all those in the Body, not only there but in follow-ups throughout the day, the week, in the Body community, and in the lives of all persons on earth.

ByTheSpirit, while perhaps sounding a little stern for some, hits the nail on the head. The ho-hum and the doldrums of perhaps an hour on Sunday morning, the departing without knowing what other authentic members of the Body were present, without any contact with them throughout the week, without visitation in the community (nursing homes, for example; tithes and offerings for a dedicated program for beggars, street people, for example.... folks, it is a long list. I could share specific examples, but if won't.* God forgive us for becoming a club.

*Well...... I will. I reached out to our Body for financial assistance for a victim of the New Orleans hurricane, who had lost everything, and was relocated to our city. Not one person responded in a 300-member congregation. I recall asking the choir what a particular word meant in a song they loved to sing. No one, including the Choir Director, knew.

End of story.

That is not an isolated experience I can guarantee you. It is sad and unfortunate, and the truth of the matter is most in the church will not care to do things in a more Spirit centered way. It is much too comfortable to allow others to have the responsibility, as long as they attend service on Sunday and maybe even mid week for extra credit.

BUT

The Spirit has told me that the church is reforming. He is leading true children of God out of the church and into the True Church. The body of Christ that lives in love and compassion for all people.

It is no wonder so very few churches exhibit any power or true love on a weekly basis. We have lost our first love... :( I pray we find it again and soon! The world needs Jesus

• Prayers
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with a lot of the original post.

No need for the plate.

Altar calls can tend to be ginned up.
The pastor says he feels a need for someone struggling with a specific thing...there's a wait...no takers. Then a broader call...a wait...no takers...after a few times it's basically a call to anyone breathing air. What's the point, other than pastor pride, at that point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just so everyone understands... this is not meant to bash churches or church goers in general. A LOT of what happens in churches today is tradition that has been passed down over the centuries. It is just time for tradition to take a back seat to truth.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0