Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I consider myself a traditional conservative Adventist (food habits aside). I prefer hymns and minimal instrumentation in music and a traditional reverent service. It's what I grew up on, so it's my preference.

A lot of people associate Conservative/Moderate/Progressive/Evangelical with different style preferences for worship service. In the OP I focus primarily on positions related to doctrine and a little bit on practice in terms of diet of vegan on one end and full-on-meat eating every day at the other end (Though I have no doubt there are some vegans among the progressives)

If someone were to ask me if I conservative strictly from a standpoint of music style, worship-style no matter the other issues - I would be inclined to say "yes". But if you go to the progressive/moderate SDA board here you find that the entire focus appears to be on doctrine.

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
To me (be gentle please), the centrality of the Sabbath is what matters most...I don't consider eating or worship style a salvation issue. It's being born again, baptized and honoring all 10 of God's laws. Yes, including that whole pesky thing about the Sabbath even though it is claimed that the Sabbath had been moved to Sunday. Ummm...nope. Trying to keep rules and judging others based on adherence to those rules becomes legalistic and that can lead to sinful pride, much like the pharisee who praised himself while praying. We ALL need to remember that we are like the man who sinned and could only say "have mercy on me Lord, a sinner". For me, keeping Sabbath today is HARD! I have a running to-do list in my head. Chores to do, classes to work on, trying to get lesson plans done for the next class I'm teaching, on and on. HOWEVER...I am determined to keep with the Sabbath rest, toss all the laundry on the floor, and probably take a nice, long nap. It's a cloudy, dreary day outside, but inside, where it counts, the light is shining and I don't have words to thank God for leading me...worship and the message today were so powerful, it felt like Jesus was speaking directly to me. So, now off to an afternoon of AFTV and relaxing w/the critters. Blessed Sabbath to all.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To me (be gentle please), the centrality of the Sabbath is what matters most...I don't consider eating or worship style a salvation issue. It's being born again, baptized and honoring all 10 of God's laws.

That is true.

We are off on a bit of a tangent on this thread that I started - because I wanted to make the point that Moderate SDAs and Conservative SDAs have no problem fellowshiping together and both affirm all 28 of the SDA beliefs.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For me, keeping Sabbath today is HARD! I have a running to-do list in my head. Chores to do, classes to work on, trying to get lesson plans done for the next class I'm teaching, on and on. HOWEVER...I am determined to keep with the Sabbath rest, toss all the laundry on the floor, and probably take a nice, long nap. It's a cloudy, dreary day outside, but inside, where it counts, the light is shining and I don't have words to thank God for leading me...worship and the message today were so powerful, it felt like Jesus was speaking directly to me. So, now off to an afternoon of AFTV and relaxing w/the critters. Blessed Sabbath to all.

Agreed it takes some getting used to - but one thing I remember when I was in school was that when Sabbath came "I am not even supposed to think about school work or how much more I need to study before the big test". IT was a relief even at times when I thought I would need every second of the weekend to be caught up.

Reactions: Enilorac
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
That is true.

We are off on a bit of a tangent on this thread that I started - because I wanted to make the point that Moderate SDAs and Conservative SDAs have no problem fellowshiping together and both affirm all 28 of the SDA beliefs.

I think it's the scriptural foundation in the 28 fundamental beliefs that is a binder that keeps us together as a denomination. On top of this, we have the Three Angels' Messages, the work of sister White and the pioneers, the Sabbath message, the sanctuary, and so many other ever-present things that keep us focused on our mission.

Meanwhile, other denominations are going through serious splits and restructuring.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think it's the scriptural foundation in the 28 fundamental beliefs that is a binder that keeps us together as a denomination. On top of this, we have the Three Angels' Messages, the work of sister White and the pioneers, the Sabbath message, the sanctuary, and so many other ever-present things that keep us focused on our mission.

Meanwhile, other denominations are going through serious splits and restructuring.

Agreed. this is a very very important point

In Eph 4 Paul makes a huge statement that the church is given a number of spiritual gifts so that it will NOT be "tossed about by every wind of doctrine".

1 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. 14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

The whole point was to protect against false doctrine destroying the group.

Whenever someone wants to introduce error into what God has setup one of the first things they will do is complain about the barrier God has put in place against error.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I grew up on Loma Linda (Worthington Foods) canned veggie meat, which are/were original SDA brands that used to be sold at the SDA book stores as well as the local grocery stores. These days you have to find a specialty store, order from Amazon, or directly from the company. I order from Amazon.

Of my Loma Linda favorites that I still eat to this day:
View attachment 302942View attachment 302938View attachment 302939View attachment 302940View attachment 302941View attachment 302943
I get the 96 oz Big Franks can and separate the 30 hot dogs into baggies of four and freeze them. For Swiss Stake, 2 per bag, since 12 patties come in a can. Same for the others; I typically freeze most of the contents of the can, then pull out a baggie to thaw as needed. All of these have a unique taste and texture and are completely different from each other.

I buy mostly Morning Star on a regular basis at the local grocery:
  • For hamburger/sausage recipes:
    • Griller Crumbles (crumbled hamburger)
    • Chorizo Crumbles (crumbled Mexican sausage)
    • Italian Sausage Crumbles (crumbled Italian sausage)
  • Corn Dogs
  • Various patties, the best of which are the buffalo chik'n patties
  • Chik'N Nuggets, which I'll make with tater tots
  • Their pizza bites are good, but have a taste that's on the verge of being rank.
Other brands I've tried and like:
  • Gardein
    • A great variety of meat substitutes ready for recipes. Some even come with sauces. Their meatballs are great with spaghetti.
  • Quorn
    • Probably the best turkey substitute I've found. They have a turkey roast that's really good.
  • Dr. Praeger
    • Probably the best veggie burgers you can buy, but expensive.
  • Lightlife
    • Sausage in a tube, like real sausage, that I buy for my baked bean recipe.
The one I like the least:
  • Boca
    • Most of their food tastes bland to me.
Aside from these, I buy vegetables, beans, fruits and nuts and use almond milk for my cereal.

I've been on a Mexican kick lately. I've been making fresh-made guacamole. I just bought more avocados, limes and cilantro on Thursday for making more. I also bought some fresh tomatoes and onions (and peaches) from the local farmer's market for making pico de gallo. I buy tortillas and make burritos out of chili beans or refried beans, and other fixings. Simple delicious meals. I keep sauces on hand like sriracha and some Korean style "Bibibop" sauces to make veggie bowls and what not.

I make soups and chili frequently, as well as a baked bean recipe with veggie sausage. I buy dry mixes like Sloppy Joe and pepper gravy and use veggie burger to make sandwiches and open faced sandwiches, which I accompany with potato salad (for instance) from the local grocery.

My former church had a rich heritage of home-made vegetarian meat substitutes, so I have recipes that I make for oatmeal burgers, lentil loaf, cottage cheese loaf, etc.

Those are some of the veggie things I eat on a regular basis, but I try to mix it up and eat fresh, not just meat substitutes. I'll go a few days between eating the veggie meat, eating some homemade veggie concoction instead. I think what's key for vegetarianism is being able to pull from a menu of possibilities and be content with those flavors and meals.

Happy Sabbath!
Thanks for all the information! I remember the Skallops growing up. We use to bread and fry them, I may try them in my air fryer if I can find out how to buy them.

I think I may try the crumbles from morning star. I typically buy the sausage links and bacon the crumbles would be fun to try in salads and eggs.

Thanks again and I will be checking out some of these recommendations!

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all the information! I remember the Skallops growing up. We use to bread and fry them, I may try them in my air fryer if I can find out how to buy them.

I think I may try the crumbles from morning star. I typically buy the sausage links and bacon the crumbles would be fun to try in salads and eggs.

Thanks again and I will be checking out some of these recommendations!

You're welcome. Out of all of them I'd say my favorite is Big Franks, with Swiss Stakes being a close second. They are so good, but I'm biased, I grew up with them. Yes, the crumbles are great for making various recipes that would normally require hamburger. While I'm not particularly fond of the Griller crumble taste, it does the job. The Italian and Chorizo are a bit better. The Chorizo will overpower any dish with its flavor. I sometimes use it in chili.

Back to the thread topic. grin

Upvote 0