Mockers Can't Target Jews any more so they Target Mormons?

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I get my e-mail via "hotmail.com", and when I exit my e-mail account my browser always goes to a news site, but there are links to all sorts of other sites that might be news or might be fake news. Today I followed a link to "www.sportingz.com/opinions/top-secret-inside-book-mormon/1" with label Top Secret: Inside The Real Book Of Mormon, and read 38 consecutive articles, ending in "www.sportingz.com/opinions/top-secret-inside-book-mormon/38". It was hilarious. Some of it was even true. But I couldn't help thinking, are these the same people who used to write things against the Jews, back when it was popular to do that? They can't do that now, so they're targeting Mormons? It was clear that Stella Basconi (who was listed as the author) or whoever put those webpages together, didn't really care if she was accurate or not; she just wanted to publish a bunch of webpages that would put the LDS Church in a bad light. It wouldn't have taken very much to find out which inflammatory things she said were actually true, and then she could have left out the rest and had a group of webpages that actually told the truth.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Those sorts of sites are the sort of websites that throw a lot at the wall and see what sticks. They cast a very broad net and it's almost always click-bait where you have to click through multiple pages to generate more ad revenue for them.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This site isn't click bait.. Mormon Claims Answered Chapter Three

The Mormons were actually the ones to throw the first punch by mocking that our bible had been corrupted.
And of course with anti-Semitism the Jews threw the first punch by killing Jesus. So I guess anti-Semitism is justified now, isn't it?

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And of course with anti-Semitism the Jews threw the first punch by killing Jesus. So I guess anti-Semitism is justified now, isn't it?
Apples and oranges. What I said about Mormonism is true. What you said about the Jews isn't since we are all guilty of your example...

for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.
(Act 4:27-28)

Hence, all were involved, even God Himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I find it more problematic that you equate thousands of years of hatred and mass violence against a people with mockery of Mormonism.

No religion is free from mockery.
And Mormons have never been in the same position as Jews have historically.

If you want to take issue with anti-Mormon sentiment that's fine, but comparing it to what the Jews have had to put up with is both offensive and ridiculous.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Apples and oranges. What I said about Mormonism is true. What you said about the Jews isn't since we are all guilty of your example...

for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.
(Act 4:27-28)

Hence, all were involved, even God Himself.
I guess I just see it as kind of juvenile to think that it's okay to mock a group if one has judged that that group threw the first blow. Reminds me of the line from "Fiddler on the Roof" where the one villager proclaims, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth," to which Tevye replies, "Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless."

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it more problematic that you equate thousands of years of hatred and mass violence against a people with mockery of Mormonism.
I didn't equate those years of hatred and violence with mockery of Mormonism. All I was saying was that if you could justify mockery of Mormonism by what it said God revealed to them about Christianity, that was the kind of thinking that justified mockery of the Jews by those people who like to mock the Jews. That doesn't equate Judaism with Mormonism; it just points out that the same kind of people mock both.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess I just see it as kind of juvenile to think that it's okay to mock a group if one has judged that that group threw the first blow. Reminds me of the line from "Fiddler on the Roof" where the one villager proclaims, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth," to which Tevye replies, "Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless."
I made a statement of fact about the mocking of our Bible when I said, "The Mormons were actually the ones to throw the first punch by mocking that our bible had been corrupted."

It was a statement of historical fact, then you turned around and claim me as the mocker. Can you speak to the issue and not accuse me of being juvenile? You know as well as I do that the Mormons claim was that our Bible had been corrupted and now you want to defend their action?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I made a statement of fact about the mocking of our Bible when I said, "The Mormons were actually the ones to throw the first punch by mocking that our bible had been corrupted."

It was a statement of historical fact, then you turned around and claim me as the mocker.
When did I claim you "as the mocker"?

Can you speak to the issue and not accuse me of being juvenile?
You're the one who implied that it was justified to mock the LDS Church because, in your opinion, the LDS Church threw "the first punch." If you didn't want me to criticize that by calling it juvenile, you shouldn't have posted it.

You know as well as I do that the Mormons claim was that our Bible had been corrupted and now you want to defend their action?
Actually, no, I didn't have any intent to defend their action. It's kind of beside the point. The point is that it's actually contrary to the spirit of Christianity as a whole to mock any faith, regardless of whether or not that faith threw "the first punch," especially when much of that mockery involves stating things that are false, as in the case of the SportingZ series of posts.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is that it's actually contrary to the spirit of Christianity as a whole to mock any faith,
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
(Psa 2:4)
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
(Pro 1:26)

And when it comes to false cults such as Mormonism, Elijah sets a good example...
And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
(1Ki 18:27)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

And when it comes to false cults such as Mormonism, Elijah sets a good example...
And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
Proverbs 1:26 is very poetic. Wisdom will indeed mock us as we reap our folly.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This site isn't click bait.. Mormon Claims Answered Chapter Three

The Mormons were actually the ones to throw the first punch by mocking that our bible had been corrupted.
I just got thinking. Didn't Jesus pretty explicitly say that the leaders of Judaism were corrupt? Does that constitute throwing "the first punch" against Judaism, and therefore inviting the Jews to mock Christianity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Those are all Old Testament passages. What I think is interesting is what Jesus said, as recorded in Luke 6:29, "And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also." That doesn't sound like Jesus is advocating that people mock faith groups just because that faith group threw "the first punch." What Jesus is advocating sounds more like love for the people who oppose you.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just got thinking. Didn't Jesus pretty explicitly say that the leaders of Judaism were corrupt? Does that constitute throwing "the first punch" against Judaism, and therefore inviting the Jews to mock Christianity?
Judaism of the first century had deteriorated from the faith of Abraham, Moses and David. It deserved the rebukes of Jesus as it was substituting man's tradition for God's Word.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those are all Old Testament passages. What I think is interesting is what Jesus said, as recorded in Luke 6:29, "And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also." That doesn't sound like Jesus is advocating that people mock faith groups just because that faith group threw "the first punch." What Jesus is advocating sounds more like love for the people who oppose you.
Faith groups? Just because a group calls themselves 'biblical' or 'Christian' or 'people of faith' doesn't mean it is so. Faith must be placed in the right object and in the case of Mormonism faith in a Jesus that progresses to godhood just won't cut it.

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Judaism of the first century had deteriorated from the faith of Abraham, Moses and David. It deserved the rebukes of Jesus as it was substituting man's tradition for God's Word.
So are you saying that if the faith involved does actually deserve the charges of corruption, then the faith is not justified in mocking the people charging it with corruption?

Upvote 0