MMT proponent Chris Brown for DNC national leader to face President Trump in 2020.

Would you like to see Mr. Chris Brown enter the DNC leadership race?

• Yes...

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No...

• I am not sure yet but I will pray for him.....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.. I have somebody else in mind who I prefer....

• Total voters

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If America's Democratic Party would choose an MMT proponent like Mr. Chris Brown to represent them in the 2020 election, President Donald J. Trump could coopt much of Mr. Brown's platform........

and a real estate boom could begin in rural USA that would transform the economy of America and make it theoretically possible to pay off the USA national debt, (although frankly that would probably not be the way that Chris would recommend directly all that extra money).

Mr. Chris Brown
does a fantastic job of explaining monetary policy for
a non-economist such as myself.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Back in university I did write a paper on the problems in the Weimar Republic of post WWI Germany but Chris filled me in on some details that I did not know about.

Chris Brown: "The Weimar defense?

If I said that a person who was pushed from 6th-floor balcony died because they hit the ground. Would you blame the ground for their death or the person that pushed them?

Clearly, the person would not have fallen off the balcony if they hadn't been pushed. So the precipitating cause was the push, the resulting cause was hitting the ground.

No push, the person in question would not have died at that instant.

In the same way, money creation, wasn't the precipitating cause of hyperinflation, it was the resulting cause. The precipitating cause was the loss of productivity due to the destruction of factories during the war combined with reparations and the massive foreign debt payable only in gold." (Mr. Chris Brown)

One of these years a proponent of MMT must become involved in USA politics in order for the foundation to be laid for the fulfillment of a prediction by Pastor David Wilkerson:

"There will be a sudden rush to buy farms, ranches, and homes in the country.

Thousands will attempt to flee from cities, hoping that a return to the land and

nature will provide security. There will be a growing urge to "get away from it

all"---and much money will be invested in land and acreage in rural areas by

people who have secret dreams of raising their own food and cattle and of

becoming self-supporting. The price of open rural land will continue to soar.

Acreage within 100 miles of most major cities will skyrocket out of reach to

all but syndicates." (David Wilkerson, The Vision, page 18,19).

Are land prices in countryside about to rise and rise?

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If America's Democratic Party would choose an MMT proponent like Mr. Chris Brown to represent them in the 2020 election, President Donald J. Trump could coopt much of Mr. Brown's platform........

and a real estate boom could begin in rural USA that would transform the economy of America and make it theoretically possible to pay off the USA national debt, (although frankly that would probably not be the way that Chris would recommend directly all that extra money).

Mr. Chris Brown
does a fantastic job of explaining monetary policy for
a non-economist such as myself.

I have center-right political views. Although Trump wasn’t an ideal candidate for president when he ran, I voted for him anyway because Hillary would have been much worse for America. It was a “lesser of two evils” type of vote.

I don’t know who Chris Brown is, so I can’t comment on whether I want to see him run against Trump in 2020. Honestly, I would like to see Oprah Winfrey, who expressed interest in a presidential run, face off against Trump next election. I know the Republicans would be victorious if she became the Democrat nominee for president. Basically, it would be an easy win for the GOP.

• Winner
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If America's Democratic Party would choose an MMT proponent like Mr. Chris Brown to represent them in the 2020 election,

I think MMT is pretty overrated. It strikes me as neither monetary, modern nor theoretical.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What is MMT? I tried doing a search, just lead to this thread & some political forum the same OP as here had posted on.

For starters.... all Modern Monetary Theory proponents are aware that President Abraham Lincoln saved American taxpayers FOUR BILLION DOLLARS in interest payments:

Melvin Sickler:
In 1972, the United States Treasury Department was asked to compute the amount of interest that would have been paid if that 400 million dollars would have been borrowed at interest instead of being issued by Abraham Lincoln. They did some computations, and a few weeks later, the United States Treasury Department said the United States Government saved 4 billion dollars in interest because Lincoln had created his own money. So you can about imagine how much the Government has paid and how much we owe solely on the basis of interest.

They all know exactly how simple it was for President Lincoln to do this:

Melvin Sickler:
"During the Civil War (1861-1865), President Lincoln needed money to finance the War from the North. The Bankers were going to charge him 24% to 36% interest. Lincoln was horrified and went away greatly distressed, for he was a man of principle and would not think of plunging his beloved country into a debt that the country would find impossible to pay back.

Eventually President Lincoln was advised to get Congress to pass a law authorizing the printing of full legal tender Treasury notes to pay for the War effort. Lincoln recognized the great benefits of this issue. At one point he wrote:

“... (we) gave the people of this Republic the greatest blessing they have ever had – their own paper money to pay their own debts...”

The Treasury notes were printed with green ink on the back, so the people called them “Greenbacks”.

Lincoln printed 400 million dollars worth of Greenbacks (the exact amount being $449,338,902), money that he delegated to be created, a debt-free and interest-free money to finance the War. It served as legal tender for all debts, public and private. He printed it, paid it to the soldiers, to the U.S. Civil Service employees, and bought supplies for war.

Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think MMT is pretty overrated. It strikes me as neither monetary, modern nor theoretical.

This may help:

Intro to MMT - Modern Monetary Theory

Chris Brown
December 25, 2016
If someone tells you that the government can't afford something, like say...Paying benefits to SS recipients or fund healthcare or build a bullet train from NY to LA....Be sure and ask why.

If they say the US government can't afford it, remind them how silly that is. The government can create all the money it wants and it can use those dollars to purchase whatever it wants from the US private sector.

At that point, you'll probably be told (in a scolding voice) that when the government creates money that it results in inflation.

To which, you'd point out that they said *money* was the limitation and now they've rightly identified the real limitation.

Now that we've identified the real constraint, make sure you both agree on the cause of inflation driven by demand. Simply put, inflation driven by demand happens when demand for goods and services exceeds the private sectors ability to supply them. Now in the case of a bullet train from Boston to LA, do you really believe that there isn't enough labor and raw materials in the nation to supply what's needed to build a train? Really? I mean we've funded billions, even trillions of dollars to fight 2 wars, but we don't have the resources to build a train without causing insurmountable shortages such that it will cause the value of the dollar to fall long term? What about healthcare? Does anyone really believe that the nation can't find people to step up into those jobs (if the training was freely available) without creating massive permanent labor shortages?

The reality is that we have 20 million people (source BLS) who are under/unemployed with a net 145k new workers entering the job force each month (Source WSJ). The labor is there. The private sectors productive capacity is at 75%, which is 5% lower than the 40-year average, 10% lower than the 40-year high and 17% lower than the 75-year high (1940's). (Source The Fed - Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization - G.17)

The reality is that we fear inflation more than we fear unemployment and wasting potential productivity.

[Edited for clarity]

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have center-right political views. Although Trump wasn’t an ideal candidate for president when he ran, I voted for him anyway because Hillary would have been much worse for America. It was a “lesser of two evils” type of vote.

I don’t know who Chris Brown is, so I can’t comment on whether I want to see him run against Trump in 2020. Honestly, I would like to see Oprah Winfrey, who expressed interest in a presidential run, face off against Trump next election. I know the Republicans would be victorious if she became the Democrat nominee for president. Basically, it would be an easy win for the GOP.

I agree that Oprah Winfrey would be one of the best possible candidates that the DNC could put forward for 2020.

She would be attracted to much of what Mr. Chris Brown teaches. He could also be perfect as her V. P. candidate:

Chris Brown:

December 25, 2016
If a person tells you that government money creates inflation. Ask them, if too much money creates inflation, the opposite must also be true? Too little money can cause deflation?

Then ask, what is the metric you use to determine that we are at the point where any additional deficit spending will cause inflation?

Then tell them, you believe that the opposite is, in fact true. The government isn't creating enough money. When they ask you what *your* metric is, tell them "unemployment".

Chris Brown:
"To believe that government spending creates inflation is to believe that, as a nation, we have exceeded the nation's productive capacity and any additional spending will just create demand the private sector is incapable of supplying."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Chris gives a great explanation for taxes:

Chris Brown:
March 16, 2016
So I'm trying to create something to get some of my friends interested in how the economy works. Most of these people are hopelessly trapped in the Matrix. This writing is the "red pill". The problem is, as most of you know, is that for every explanation you offer, there is some other idea that supports it. So when talking to those who really have no idea, you are forced to leave things out. Below I've left out how the government currently finances it's debt via bond sales. God only knows the confusion that would sew. Hopefully, what I've written is interesting enough that my friends will stick around and I can circle back with a full explanation later. I'm really trying to start something the complete layman can understand, though I admit, the "red pill" is going to be hard to swallow and some may reject my ideas.

I'm fortunate in that most of these people are real-life friends that I'm going to present this too...

Anyone see any glaring flaws or have any ideas on how I might improve it? (Yes John, I know, create a blog...lol)

Thanks
I want you to imagine that a newly created country has been set up in a remote area, we’ll call it “Newville”. About 50,000 people live in Newville. The area is remote, but it has all the things people need to make a life and living for themselves.

People come together and elect a government, create a Constitution and establish laws, courts and a police force. As it so happens, the laws are very similar to those here in the US.

There are lots of things to build, people need food, shelter, energy, clothes. The city needs infrastructure, water roads ect…

Problem is, the new government has no money, but already there are lots of things to be paid for….

Today, you’ve been placed in charge of the creation of new money and the collection of taxes. The only stipulation is that you can only collect tax dollars created by the Newville government (of which you are the treasurer so you create money) and every single dollar you create, you have to mark down as a “debt” in a leger.

So if you create a dollar, Newville “owes” $1. So for every positive $1, there is a -$1 liability.

On the very first day you realize you’re going to need lots of money to get the economy started, but you can’t tax it because the only thing you can tax, dollars, don’t exist yet because you haven’t created any.

So you head to your highly secure office that has the government’s printing press. You print up $100,000 and you deposit it in the Newville Central bank into the Newville government’s account. Now the Newville Congress has money to spend on the projects it votes on. At the same time, you announce that Newville is $100,000 in debt.

The citizens in Newville stop and consider the fact that you are simply creating money with a printer. They start to ask why they should accept the paper you’ve printed dollars on as money. You remind them that you have the power to impose taxes on everyone. Shortly after you announce that everyone will be expected to pay some level of tax. You have the authority of the government, backed by the courts and enforced by the police and other authorities. Now you have created demand for the currency you've created by imposing taxes. Everyone needs the money you create in order to meet their legal obligation to pay taxes. When you collect taxes you use them to mark down the “debt” in your leger. When you need more money, you simply create it.

The President of Newville announces that he will spend money provisioned to him by the Newville Congress to build roads, buildings, schools, police stations, hospitals, water and sewer, bridges and lots of other things.

Once the dollars start to circulate, people start creating other jobs to do for one another, not just the government.
-----------------------------------------

I’ve tried to create something that is a very simple but reasonable copy of how the US government works.

For example;

The treasury (that’s you in this example) creates the money and deposits it in Newvillie’s Central Bank. (The US Central Bank is the Federal Reserve (the Fed). It is the government’s bank and it is a bank for other banks. For now, I’m not going to go into a lot of detail on the Fed.)

The Congress makes the laws and creates the budget and designates where money will be spent.

The President is responsible to carry out the spending given to him.

The government creates money out of thin air and it creates a debt equal to the creation of that money.

Everyone that earns money must pay some of that money to the government in taxes.

Getting back to my hypothetical, let’s think about what’s happening here and how this hypothetical parallels the US government.

The single most important lesson I can share with any of you is the hardest one to accept. It is the fact that in the case of Newville and the US government, when it collects taxes, that money isn’t used to pay for things like we've been lead to believe. Taxes simply offset debt.

“What??” You say, as you second guess agreeing to read any of this…..

Yes, let’s see if I can explain.

The government creates money, why would it need to collect its own money, money it can create in order to spend more?

Now in this hypothetical, you create the money and you keep track of it in a leger. At last count you had created $100,000 so that means that the government of Newville is in debt $100,000.

Now you are the Treasurer and you represent government. When you spend it, you are spending it into the “non-government” sector, in this case everyday people.

So for every $1 the government goes into debt, the non-government gains a $1. Another way to say non-government is the “private sector”. Government is the “public sector”, but for now I’ll just use non-/government.

If that is true, then for every $1 the government taxes the non-government loses $1

If the government’s debt is paid with taxes, if you paid off the entire debt you would have to literally take away ALL the dollars held by the non-government sector. This is true in Newville and it’s true in the US.

The single most important thing you can understand here is:

When the government creates debt, the non-government sector increases its assets. Translation - When the government creates debt, everyone else gains money. This is because when the government spends money, most of that money is earned by everyday people, the non-government sector.

So when the government decreases debt it does so by decreasing the assets of the non-government (again, that’s you and me). Translation – The government decreases debt by collecting dollars. The only way the government collects dollars in though taxes. To pay down debt the government must take away your money via higher taxes.

For this reason, all US dollars are just coupons to pay taxes!!! That’s it. We think of those coupons as money and we use them, exchange them buy things with them and sell things for them. We also save them in savings accounts and investments. At the end of the day, all dollars exist because the government hasn’t taxed them back yet. The US debt, just like the Newville debt, is just a record of all the dollars created in the economy.

Now this has been very long, and if you’ve read this far, I thank you and hope that it’s helped.

There are lots of other things to cover, like inflation, interest on the debt, the Federal Reserve, the trade deficit, securities (bonds), and anything else you want to know I’ll do my best to answer." (Chris Brown)

Chris Brown:
"They key, IMO, is not just making it technically correct. I mean, I remember reading a lot of Mosler's stuff.. The guy is a genius, but the layman's eyes cross listening to him. Now his business card explanation is a good one, but even that can be tough to grasp without some background. We need to keep it interesting!!

For me, understanding our economy is everything. All other issues are subordinate because they all rely on the nations ability to deploy productive resources and we all here know that productivity is capped by our fiscal system. If you don't understand our money system, how can you know what ideas to support with respect to them. More importantly, how can any of the other serious issues you care about be addressed?

My friends are probably like some of yours. They are housewives, programmers, office people, teachers, truck drivers.....They only know what they see on TV, or god forbid, some crap on YouTube.

I have no idea how many people I can keep interested, but time will tell!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chris gives a great explanation for taxes

See what I mean - it's fiscal, not monetary.

And are you prepared to defend these views, or is this just something you read and it sounded like it might be right?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I agree that Oprah Winfrey would be one of the best possible candidates that the DNC could put forward for 2020.

She would be attracted to much of what Mr. Chris Brown teaches. He could also be perfect as her V. P. candidate:

Chris Brown:

December 25, 2016

Chris Brown:

I said she would be one of the worst possible choices.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

And are you prepared to defend these views, or is this just something you read and it sounded like it might be right?

I can't say for absolute certainty that I personally understand Modern Monetary Theory but the ideas that I have found since 1994 seem to be like sister theories to MMT.

I have campaigned for public office four times already and my own recommendations on Central Banking Policy were always an important part of my own campaigns. (I am not great at politics though and I have only 41 votes total in all four campaigns combined, and I am certainly no economist, but here is an explanation for an important part of this that I wrote up back in 2006):

www.BankingSystemFlaws.blogspot.ca/

June 13, 2006 Pictou Centre Campaign Writing

My name is Dennis Tate. I lived most of my forty seven years in West Lochiel Lake, Guysborough County. I am running for MLA as an independent in the area of Pictou Centre so that I can help as many people as possible become more aware of what I am sure is the real reason why our roads are in disrepair, why hospital beds are unused, why so many of the rural schools have been shut down, why our soldiers in Afghanistan are poorly equipped and why many if not most of our young people may have to leave Nova Scotia to find jobs.

When well trained workers have high quality technology to work with then the total of all wages and benefits paid out to employees is only a fraction of the retail value of the products they produce. As a result of this fact the only way to move products out of warehouses is to extend higher and higher levels of credit. One problem with an abundance of red ink is that compound interest on all this government, business and personal debt over a period of decades will grow to astronomical levels. At this time there is approximately TEN TIMES as much debt in Canada as there is money. A simple explanation for how this happened can be seen here:
The Public-Debt Problem
In my opinion this rather simple mathematical problem is perhaps the number one cause of inflation in the Canadian economy over the past three decades. This is also perhaps the number one reason why our costs of production are so high and Canadian products cannot compete on the world markets as well as they could under better conditions.

From 1940 to 1970 the Government of Canada put roughly half of the total money supply into the economy through loans issued through the federally owned Bank of Canada. Provincial and municipal governments could borrow the money to build roads, schools, hospitals and sewage treatment facilities at zero or one percent interest. In 1970 we changed our system and since that time a higher and higher percentage of all government debt is financed through loans issued through privately owned banks. At this time it is ninety eight percent. This policy may be great for our banking sector but it was estimated that in the one year of 1995 alone our federal government could have saved roughly SIXTY FIVE BILLION DOLLARS in interest payments if we had gone back to creating half the total money supply through these low interest rate loans issued through the bank that is OWNED BY ALL CANADIANS.

Considering that our deficit was approximately thirty billion dollars for that year, simply by changing back to an already proven monetary and banking system, we could theoretically have had a FEDERAL BUDGET SURPLUS OF THIRTY FIVE BILLION DOLLARS in 1995.

The massive cutbacks in the Canadian military, in health care, highway construction, social programs and education were profoundly affected by these accounting practices?

So what can you and I do about this problem?
1. If we will do our homework and study this question we can put pressure on our provincial level politicians to create a provincially owned bank. A true Bank of Nova Scotia owned by all Nova Scotians could be used to finance town and municipal government projects at zero or one percent interest just as The Bank of Canada used to do.

2. Town and municipal government officials in New Glasgow, Stellarton and Trenton should seriously consider creating a local currency unit such as has been done in Ithaca, New York.
Introducing HOUR Money

This is a great way to promote local businesses and help sustain rural economies.

3. It is also possible for groups of concerned individuals to get together and organize a local barter exchange as a cooperative. Mr. Rob Assels has been instrumental in just such an initiative in the Tatamagouche and River John area so surely we can get similar organizations up and running here in New Glasgow, Pictou, Stellarton, Trenton and Westville. Here is a link into the Halifax LETS system:

Note... .I am of the belief that North American churches are in a great position to apply this principle:
North American churches should each have their own currency!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Oprah Winfrey is of course flawed, we all are, but I believe that her opinion on the importance of the Colton Burpo testimony is closer to the truth than thirty seven percent of the Christians who have responded to this poll so far:

Friends of yours watch Heaven Is For Real and ask you about it?

Is Colton Burpo a credible witness?

Edit
  1. *
    Yes
    8 vote(s)
    50.0%

2. No
    6 vote(s)
    37.5%

3. I am not sure but I am looking into this.
    2 vote(s)
    12.5%

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I could be wrong, I often am but I believe that for all her flaws, Oprah Winfrey could do a great job of directing Americans toward the information that could lead to the most rapid and sincere Awakening that America could possibly experience:

The being of light of NDE fame, G-d or Satan?

It seems to me that we are in a situation somewhat like the time of the Prophet Elijah.

1Kings 18:21 "And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word."

I began to study these experiences a great deal back in 1990. They immediately made me realize that the "soul sleep" doctrine that I had been taught was almost certainly in error. I got kicked out of two churches due to disagreements mainly over that doctrine. But as a Christian there was no way that I could deny the possibility of people having an "out of the body experience!"

2 Corinthians 12:2 "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter."

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This will help you all to get to know Chris better:

Chris Brown:
June 4, 2016
I work as a sales engineer. I'm not a "sales person" per-se, my job is to be the nerd that helps the salesperson talk to the technical people on a sales call (I work in the IT field) and as such I am responsible for helping define the customers problems and the challenges my customer faces and then, after I've collected enough info I go home, build a solution it and give it to my salesperson who then negotiates prices. So I do sell, I just do it in the technical capacity and don't have to be involved in anything that has to do with prices (thank goodness).

Ok, so why did I tell you this?

I'm my business there is something called the "Elevator Pitch". That is, you are on an elevator and you run into the CIO or CEO of a big company and you have about 1-2 minutes to explain how your product will transform their business.

For any of you that read what I write, you know the "Elevator Pitch" is a challenge for me...lol

Now I'm asking all of you to help me develop an MMT "Elevator Pitch" as I find myself in situations quite often when economics arises as a topic I have 2-4 minutes to try to get people interested in the conversation, but to do that, you need a "hook", something to grab attention so they are asking you for more, otherwise you end up feeling like your talking at people rather than with them.

I just posted that I was on a radio show and had very little time to talk, there are 50,000 things I can bring up, but I have to work on figuring out how to sort though all the facts I know and choose the

Now I know that it matters who your talking to, so let's assume we are talking to reasonably educated people who hold the common views on economics.

Anyone know if something like this? Anyone have any ideas?" (Chris Brown)

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Have no idea who this guy is, so he isn't someone I'd back without more research.

I am in contact with him for around a year or so and I consider him to be one of the greatest economists on earth..... and this in spite of the fact that he is not a professional economist.

He is astonishingly polite and brilliant at debating his ideas with all of us all over the political spectrum.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Econ4every1

Nov 13, 2017
Winchester
✟14,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

Is it over rated? I wouldn't really talk about MMT in terms of ratings, but rather decide whether it is a good explanation for how the economy works.

I'm fairly knowledgeable with respect to MMT and the first thing I'd like to say is that I think the name "Modern Monetary Theory" is an awful name for what MMT actually is.

It is "modern" in the sense that it describes the system of money that we've had in place since 1974 (also known as chartalism).

It is "monetary" only in the sense that it talks about money.

However the word theory is entirely inappropriate. It is not a "theory" in that it's a "best guess" or a "hunch", nor is it a theory in the more scientific sense (as in a theory of gravity), as in a well-reseached group of ideas created to explain a group of facts and confirmed through experimentation.

Anyone that knows much about economics knows that it's not a science, strictly speaking. It is more closely related to the field of accounting.

So for what it's worth, I agree with your assessment with respect to the name MMT. In my own conversations, I rarely talk about the school of thought I belong to and stick to addressing the facts as best I understand them.

If MMT is anything, its just a detailed description of how our modern money system works. The hard part of understanding and accepting MMT as a description is that in some ways is a bit counter intuitive because when the US system of money changed in 1974 (the US government no longer pledged to back the currency with gold), it was impossible to completely reinvent the system. There were very subtle changes made, but those subtle changes had profound impact on the way our money system works today. Unfortunately, those changes were not made part of any school or university curriculum. The old system has continued to be taught and it's lead to profound confusion.

Now, having said all of that, the ideas of MMT are completely divorced from any political party. Both parties approach the problem of the economy wrongly and each has aspects which are correct (confused yet?), but each does it in a different way.

One of the mistakes I see people make when discussing economics is that they conflate facts about the economy with political policy.

For example, spending=income. That's an accounting fact, when spending happens, someone else earns and income. What the rate of minimum wage is, or if there should be a minimum wage at all, is a political economic policy. It's best to stick with the descriptive facts and come to some sort of understanding, then discuss policies supported based on that understanding. It's just important to remember that MMT does not support policy, but people that understand and support MMT do.

In Christian terms, Jesus is the son of God. This is a Christian fact.

But....

Churches should be a sign of our reverence for God:

250px-Washington_National_Cathedral_in_Washington%2C_D_C_1.jpg

Churches should be humble before God:

1406087161.jpg

These are two examples of Christian policies.

Point here being, that what a church should look like is more a matter of Christian policy between denominations rather than a fact....

If you know what I mean.

Now the bible might have something to say about this (I really don't know - but remember that's not really the point here) if it did, than in a hypothetical conversation with another Christian, you'd want to discuss the facts of Christianity before confusing the facts with ideas that are more driven by policiy.

I hope that makes sense.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Econ4every1

Nov 13, 2017
Winchester
✟14,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

It's neither monetary nor fiscal. It simply describes these systems in some detail.

I'd be happy to "defend" ideas promoted by MMT, though I don't really like to think about it in those terms. I would rather "discuss" them....

• Informative
Upvote 0