Mixing between boys and girls

amorly

Jan 11, 2012
✟7,826.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Boys need to be taught separately from girls from the age of five to prevent them being damaged by the education system, experts claimed.

Again, western countries are calling to separate boys and girls in schools,
Dr Leonard Sax argues that boys are "turned off" by starting formal education too soon when they are expected to sit down and keep quiet in class. And, because they develop at different rates to girls, they can be discouraged from learning while very young when sat alongside female classmates.

He said: "With boys you have to start right away. If you wait until secondary school, you have waited too long. From the age of five, there are clear advantages in all-boys' education when teachers know how to take advantage of it. "

Sax refers to a few other studies that he says show that girls and boys draw differently, including one from a group of Japanese researchers who found girls' drawings typically depict still lifes of people, pets or flowers, using 10 or more crayons, favoring warm colors like red, green, beige and brown; boys, on the other hand, draw action, using 6 or fewer colors, mostly cool hues like gray, blue, silver and black. This apparent difference, which Sax argues is hard-wired, causes teachers to praise girls' artwork and make boys feel that they're drawing incorrectly.

Glory to Allah who says in the Qur'an about that issue: (And the male is not like the female) [Sûrat Al-Imrân-(The Family of Imran) verse36].

Dr. Sax believes girls also benefit from single-sex education because they can concentrate on subjects such as maths, which is traditionally seen as a "male" interest.

WeMuslims can find in the Sunnah the same instructions as the prophet peace be upon him orders us by saying: {separate between boys and girls in beds} as both of them must sleep in a separated beds if they became adults.

Also the great religion of Islam orders men not to look at forbidden things by saying: (Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.) [Sûrat An-Nûr-The Light-verse 30].

At the end we say that whoever read the latest researches in many disciplines will discover that western scientists and researchers are calling people to avoid alcohol, not to eat too much and women to wear decent clothes, so they returns to the principles of Islam.

Allah almighty says: (And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.) [Sûrat Al-ImrânSûrat Al-Imrân-verse85].

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Is the trick to find something that is vaguely related to something and claim it is exactly related? The entire article is about education, it says nothing about beds or lowering gazes or protecting private parts. The article you are quoting mentions nothing of alcohol or eating right or dressing in a specific way. You should source the article, by the way.

Look, I get that you want to promote your religion as something good. That's fine, even a noble goal. But this kind of stuff turns me so far off with regards to what you're saying you wouldn't believe it.

Islam is not the only religion that advocates modesty. Yet, by the way you've stated it on this forum, all religions but Islam are just bedlams of hedonism. That is provably false.

Upvote 0

Halossellar

Jun 13, 2012
✟15,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I don't know if this is the same OP or not, but there were a lot of these over the past year. They all tried to link a particular teaching in the Koran to some recent study. I read them as a feeble attempt at the OP trying to convince himself. He seemed to have a ton of self-doubt. The person seemed so desperate to find any proof that the Koran was correct, it was just silly and a bit sad. I could do the same thing with a Harry Potter book. I might if challenged.

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
..The person seemed so desperate to find any proof that the Koran was correct, it was just silly and a bit sad. I could do the same thing with a Harry Potter book. I might if challenged.

You can find gazillions of muslim websites/blogs that make such silly attempts and revel in those acts.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think educating boys and girls together can work and having experienced it myself it seems to have worked..

Yes girls and boys mature at different rates.. but they also can learn how to get along socializing together.

When you separate people they don't learn how to adjust to each other very well...

Also in some parts of the world girls are segragated and not encouraged to go to go to further their education.

Also consider an article recommending keeping boys and girls together:

“Being with more girls is good for everybody,” says Prof. Analia Schlosser, an economist from the Eitan Berglas School of Economics at Tel Aviv University. “We find that both boys and girls do better when there are more girls in the class.” She investigated girls and boys in mixed classrooms in the elementary, middle, and high-school grades of the Israeli school system.
In an unpublished paper, Prof. Schlosser concluded that classes with more than 55 percent of girls resulted in better exam results and less violent outbursts overall. “It appears that this effect is due to the positive influence the girls are adding to the classroom environment,” says Prof. Schlosser. She carried out the study while on a post-doctoral fellowship at Princeton University, and will study the effects of gender in higher education lecture halls next.
This is one of few studies of its kind to use scientific data to address the question of gender effects in school.

Keep Boys And Girls Together In The Classroom To Optimize Learning, Research Suggests

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Allah almighty says: (And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.) [Sûrat Al-ImrânSûrat Al-Imrân-verse85].

Well, thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And girls are also "damaged" by an education system that doesn't take their developmental needs into account and where they are not encouraged to speak up when mixed with boys.

But none of those issues are things that cannot be overcome in some way short of totally separate schooling.

Separating the sexes totally creates other problems.

I will say I was more than a little dismayed that all gym classes are mixed gender these days in our school system.

Yeah, cause that makes no sense on so many levels...and yes, modesty and sexual harassment are a couple of the things that come to mind, though there are other problems as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fschmidt

Oct 30, 2010
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟25,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Another great post by amorly. amorly is one of my favorite posters here. I have been carefully observing from which religions are the best posters on the various forums that I read. And the clear winners are Orthodox Christianity, Orthodox Judaism, and Islam.

I homeschool my kids. I have a daughter and a son. I teach them the same material but I have seen without a doubt that boys and girls learn in a fundamentally different way.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Growing up, I was always a strong supporter of single gender classes, and although I still incline in that direction, I recognize that there are negatives as well. I chose the home school path for two of my kids... the eldest still home schools... the second home schooled for four years, and then she wanted to attend regular school, so she took that route. The three little ones are still in Islamic school.. the school can't afford to have separate classes for boys and girls.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I taught English at an elementary school. The boys' classes used to come to my room at different times than the girls' classes. I will agree with shmidt that they were very different. Gender differences become very pronounced in that system. That has its benefits and its disadvantages, too... in a mixed setting, they sort of balance each other out. I was working with 2nd graders at the time, and my general observation was that boys especially do better when it's an only boys class, for some reason. The girls only classes I had more trouble with. Maybe it's just because drama annoys me and I didn't know how to connect with the girls as well????, but I always did so well with the boys only classes. The rate at which they progressed was at least 30% faster than the girls' classes. In mixed classes that I've taught, I didn't notice as much of a difference between the boys and girls.

The other thing I worry about, especially for boys who have no sisters at home, is that lots of guys who have only dealt with other boys all their lives (aside from their mom) have a much harder time understanding where their wives are coming from when they get married. They expect their wives to behave like their guy friends.

I'm not saying that the negatives associated with single gender education outweigh the negatives of co-education... I think that would require more study, but it's just that I now see that both have pros and cons.

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Boys need to be taught separately from girls from the age of five to prevent them being damaged by the education system, experts claimed.

Again, western countries are calling to separate boys and girls in schools,
Dr Leonard Sax argues that boys are "turned off" by starting formal education too soon when they are expected to sit down and keep quiet in class. And, because they develop at different rates to girls, they can be discouraged from learning while very young when sat alongside female classmates.

He said: "With boys you have to start right away. If you wait until secondary school, you have waited too long. From the age of five, there are clear advantages in all-boys' education when teachers know how to take advantage of it. "

Sax refers to a few other studies that he says show that girls and boys draw differently, including one from a group of Japanese researchers who found girls' drawings typically depict still lifes of people, pets or flowers, using 10 or more crayons, favoring warm colors like red, green, beige and brown; boys, on the other hand, draw action, using 6 or fewer colors, mostly cool hues like gray, blue, silver and black. This apparent difference, which Sax argues is hard-wired, causes teachers to praise girls' artwork and make boys feel that they're drawing incorrectly.

Glory to Allah who says in the Qur'an about that issue: (And the male is not like the female) [Sûrat Al-Imrân-(The Family of Imran) verse36].

Dr. Sax believes girls also benefit from single-sex education because they can concentrate on subjects such as maths, which is traditionally seen as a "male" interest.

WeMuslims can find in the Sunnah the same instructions as the prophet peace be upon him orders us by saying: {separate between boys and girls in beds} as both of them must sleep in a separated beds if they became adults.

Also the great religion of Islam orders men not to look at forbidden things by saying: (Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.) [Sûrat An-Nûr-The Light-verse 30].

At the end we say that whoever read the latest researches in many disciplines will discover that western scientists and researchers are calling people to avoid alcohol, not to eat too much and women to wear decent clothes, so they returns to the principles of Islam.

Armorly,

None of the Quranic or Hadith links you gave talk about boys and girls learning in the same classroom.

- This verse says males and females are not alike. Something every human being knows and that is in one way or another also mentioned in almost every other religious text.

- This has nothing to do with segregated or non-segregated classrooms. No boarding school allows boys and girls to sleep together in the same beds.

- Jesus also told people not to look at lust at one another, and the Bible talks about adultery very many times. Again, this has nothing to do with segregated or unsegregated classrooms. Boys and girls sitting in the same class does not have to lead to lust. Also, boys and girls can lust for the other sex by thinking about her/him in a segregated class.

None of the verses provided have anything to say about education.

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up, I was always a strong supporter of single gender classes, and although I still incline in that direction, I recognize that there are negatives as well. I chose the home school path for two of my kids... the eldest still home schools... the second home schooled for four years, and then she wanted to attend regular school, so she took that route. The three little ones are still in Islamic school.. the school can't afford to have separate classes for boys and girls.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I taught English at an elementary school. The boys' classes used to come to my room at different times than the girls' classes. I will agree with shmidt that they were very different. Gender differences become very pronounced in that system. That has its benefits and its disadvantages, too... in a mixed setting, they sort of balance each other out. I was working with 2nd graders at the time, and my general observation was that boys especially do better when it's an only boys class, for some reason. The girls only classes I had more trouble with. Maybe it's just because drama annoys me and I didn't know how to connect with the girls as well????, but I always did so well with the boys only classes. The rate at which they progressed was at least 30% faster than the girls' classes. In mixed classes that I've taught, I didn't notice as much of a difference between the boys and girls.

The other thing I worry about, especially for boys who have no sisters at home, is that lots of guys who have only dealt with other boys all their lives (aside from their mom) have a much harder time understanding where their wives are coming from when they get married. They expect their wives to behave like their guy friends.

I'm not saying that the negatives associated with single gender education outweigh the negatives of co-education... I think that would require more study, but it's just that I now see that both have pros and cons.
Interesting reflection as always, JJ. Thanks so much for sharing. God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A good education system should recognize that students are individuals and as such different people (regardless of gender) learn differently. This, of course, probably also means having a better educational system in general, including better pay for educators.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
A good education system should recognize that students are individuals and as such different people (regardless of gender) learn differently. This, of course, probably also means having a better educational system in general, including better pay for educators.

-CryptoLutheran

That's true, too.

One can study the benefits of each setup though.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That's true, too.

One can study the benefits of each setup though.

In many ways, a lot of understanding can go a long way. I remember in school I had trouble sitting still and I would fidget. I would pay attention, but my leg would shake or something similar. A lot of teachers would yell at me for this, even though I wasn't bothering anybody. So, instead of being able to focus on the lesson, I had to focus on not moving, which made me want to move more, which broke my focus even more until I acted out against the teacher. It was like putting me through torture, but the teacher didn't care because he or she valued me sitting still more than my comfort.

Upvote 0

JJWhite

Dec 24, 2009
U.S.A.
✟11,028.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
In many ways, a lot of understanding can go a long way. I remember in school I had trouble sitting still and I would fidget. I would pay attention, but my leg would shake or something similar. A lot of teachers would yell at me for this, even though I wasn't bothering anybody. So, instead of being able to focus on the lesson, I had to focus on not moving, which made me want to move more, which broke my focus even more until I acted out against the teacher. It was like putting me through torture, but the teacher didn't care because he or she valued me sitting still more than my comfort.

I'll use that story in my next workshop. :)

I see all sorts of similar things happening. 99% of the time, I blame the adult if kids "misbehave". Sometimes, it's almost like the kids are set up to fail, and then they get in trouble when the do.

Lots of teachers are more understanding of these differences now though, I think. There's a little guy named Adam in my daughter's class who is allowed to stand up whenever he can't take sitting down anymore. I was also happy to see when I subbed for that class that the other kids didn't mind that he got a "special" rule just for him. I think that the kids could recognize that he needed it and were happy with it. If a teacher wasn't fair with something else where the kids believed they all stood equal, then the rebellion began. Sometimes kids have better sense of when same is fair and when different is fair than adults to.... and I'm changing from one topic to next, so I'll stop here.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I'll use that story in my next workshop. :)

School was.... not pleasant for me. I have so many stories of teachers that treated me poorly and, well, to be honest how the school system failed me.

I remember getting all my work done in class, getting the homework done, and still having 25 minutes left. Everybody else was still working. So, I pulled out a book and began to quietly read when the teacher snatched it away and said if I was going to finish assignments so quickly, she was just going to have to assign me more work. I told her that I didn't want extra work, I just wanted to read and be left alone, but if I was assigned extra work I would refuse to do it unless everybody else was assigned the extra work as well.

I ended up in the office after exploding at her eventually.

Upvote 0