Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sen. Mitt Romney Disinvited from CPAC 2020 After Voting to Hear Witness Testimony in Impeachment Trial

After breaking ranks with Senate Republicans and calling for additional testimony from witnesses in the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, Utah Senator Mitt Romney has been "formally NOT invited" to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) expected to take place in February 2020 in Fort Washington, Maryland.

American Conservative Union (ACU) Chairman Matt Schlapp made the announcement on Twitter Friday.

"BREAKING: The 'extreme conservative' and Junior Senator from the great state of Utah, @SenatorRomney is formally NOT invited to #CPAC2020."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Good riddance.
M-Bob

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Shameful retaliation for casting a vote in a free society. Groupthink of 1984 has arrived.
That's probably what Bernie Sanders is thinking right now.

:nono:*First it was the 2016 election, and now the "Superdelegates" are back to take me out again; and I didn't even cast a vote that the Party didn't like!*

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I cannot imagine why he was ever invited in the first place? CPAC is not supposed to be a gathering of all nominal Republicans is it?

Mitt didn't follow the party line, and so he is officially a "non-person" as far as the extreme right is concerned. Remember, they don't agree with the idea of representative democracy.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt Schlapp won't invite Mitt Romney to CPAC after impeachment witness vote - CNNPolitics

Schlapp's tweet appeared to reference when Romney, while running for president in 2012, infamously said he was "severely conservative" -- not "extremely conservative" -- at CPAC. President Donald Trump has spoken at the conference several times.

On Monday, Republican Sen. Kelly Loeffler of Georgia alleged on Twitter that "Sadly, my colleague @SenatorRomney wants to appease the left by calling witnesses who will slander the @realDonaldTrump during their 15 minutes of fame."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mitt should just join the other side
and get done with it.
MB

I don't get to speak for all the "other side" but I think we don't want him, thank you. He still looks pretty conservative to me, although I respect him for voting his conscience and not marching lock-step with the party line. That's what true statesmen do. But we seem to have a lack of those inside the beltway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't get to speak for all the "other side" but I think we don't want him, thank you. He still looks pretty conservative to me, although I respect him for voting his conscience and not marching lock-step with the party line.
If you don't respect legislators who routinely march lock-step with their party, you couldn't logically be a Democrat where that sort of thing is standard operating procedure.

How many Democrats broke ranks, for instance, on that vote to call additional witnesses? That's right...none.

He still looks pretty conservative to me....

Yes, he "looks" conservative. That's the role he plays on television and when running for office in Utah!

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shameful retaliation for casting a vote in a free society. Groupthink of 1984 has arrived.

I think petty is also an appropriate word to describe this retaliation against Romney.

I don't get to speak for all the "other side" but I think we don't want him, thank you. He still looks pretty conservative to me, although I respect him for voting his conscience and not marching lock-step with the party line. That's what true statesmen do. But we seem to have a lack of those inside the beltway.

Good for him for finally growing a backbone and standing up against Trump. I respect his courage to stand up to Trump. I think he should see this backstabbing ploy against him as an honor and a fresh start in restoring his personal integrity. I hope he eventually realizes that it's actually a great honor to be considered human scum by Donald Trump and his faithful cronies. It's a dignified badge of honor.

• Agree
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...How many Democrats broke ranks, for instance, on that vote to call additional witnesses? That's right...none.

Aw, come on, Albion, give me some credit. I said we seem to have a lack of statesmen within the beltway. I didn't qualify that by political party. :grinning:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Aw, come on, Albion, give me some credit. I said we seem to have a lack of statesmen within the beltway. I didn't qualify that by political party. :grinning:
My apologies. When you wrote, "but I think we don't want him, thank you. He still looks pretty conservative to me,.." I took it to be something other than a bi-partisan observation. I do agree with you, however, that we have a lack of statesmen within the beltway--regardless of party.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Mitt Romney disinvited from CPAC 2020

Only the Republicans would disinvite one of their 2 Senators who took the outrageous act of aligning themselves with the position taken by 75% of the American public that a "fair" Impeachment Trial would require documents and witnesses!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Good for them.
He did not stand strong
against the fake impeachment.
M-Bob

Romney never voted in favor of impeachment - he merely asked for more documents and witnesses on which to base his decision, with which 75% of American's would concur constitutes a "fair" trial!

Apparently Trump supporters appear intent on proving that last week's "head on a pike" comment to be true, despite the denials - any senators who voted their conscience on documents and witnesses instead of following their "marching orders" from the White House. find themselves being subjected to political purgatory!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, a man who would bring witnesses and evidence into a trial, is surely not a real conservative.
In a trial decisions on witnesses what it determined is if they can bring any material substance which is relevant to the issue at hand. Even if Bolton stated the worse with if it's still not deemed an impeachable offence then there's no need to continue on.

The Dem politicians let the cat out of the bag too when they said they might like to call John Kelly to testify. John Kelly? He wasn't even employed at the White House at the time. So an endless fishing expedition to bog down the Senate up until the election....good to see the Republicans putting an end to it.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Romney never voted in favor of impeachment - he merely asked for more documents and witnesses on which to base his decision, with which 75% of American's would concur constitutes a "fair" trial!

So you really think 75% of the public REALLY watched the Senate trial and listened to the President's defence team on making the case why calling more wouldn't make any sense?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Yes, a man who would bring witnesses and evidence into a trial, is surely not a real conservative.

In a trial decisions on witnesses what it determined is if they can bring any material substance which is relevant to the issue at hand.

Since Trump was charged with withholding aid from Ukraine until they helped him against a political rival (which is illegal according to Trump's own GAO) and is a federal crime, that's not at issue. As you know, witnesses and evidence were excluded by the accused perp's own defenders,the first time that happened in a presidential impeachment.

Even if Bolton stated the worse with if it's still not deemed an impeachable offence

If that were true, then the perp's defenders would be eager to bring in the witnesses and clear him. We all get that. When one side in a courtroom desperately wants to exclude witnesses and evidence, everyone realizes why. Everyone in Congress gets it. More importantly, Americans get it. Even a plurality of republicans wanted the evidence brought forward. Here's what they thought:

Just a fraction of voters want to block witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial — but Republicans are likely to block them anyway
  • The Senate is largely divided along partisan lines on whether to call witnesses to testify in President Donald Trump's impeachment trial.
  • But voters aren't totally falling in line.
  • Overall, just 13% of American adults in a recent Insider poll said they didn't see a need for witnesses, while 49% said they wanted some combination of witnesses — just the direct witnesses, just indirect witnesses, or both.
  • Of respondents who said they're likely to vote Republican in November, a plurality said they wanted to see some form of witness testimony.
Just a fraction of voters want to block witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial — but Republicans are likely to block them anyway

It's probably complicated the election for some democrats, too. But for the future of our country, the facts had to be laid out. And the Senate can't stop the facts from coming out, even if they had enough votes to rig the trial. That's how it works here.

Maybe that's enough. The elections are coming.

Upvote 0