• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Misused gifts

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by aus_koala, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aus_koala

aus_koala New Member

+0
    Just thought a discussion on giftings would be interesting. I think some people are born with gifts given by God and receive other gifts at different times of their life in order to assist in the building of the Church. There are people that then have gifts but have never been taught the nature of the gift and how it is supposed to be used and are led astray and misuse their giftings.

An example: A person may have been blessed with the gift of prophesy however they do not realise this is a gift from God (yet!) but they realise they have some form of ability. They may use their gift to delve into fortune telling instead of using is as it was intended, to build the church.  

Any thoughts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SUNSTONE

SUNSTONE Christian Warrior

+205
    Non-Denom
    Paul wanted everyone to seek to prophecy, becuase this edifies the church the most.
    He also wished that everyone would speak in tongues.

3. aus_koala

aus_koala New Member

+0
    (If) Paul was speaking on behalf of God using his gifts so it is God, through Paul and not Paul himself, that wanted everyone to seek the gift of prophecy.

Another example is a person with a gift of healing may be more inclined to become a doctor or nurse without realising they have an actual gift from God to heal people and should be using it within the Church instead of just in secular society. Same with the gift of teaching. How many school teachers are using their gift of teaching without realising they should also be using it within the Church.

4. JesusServant

JesusServant do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER

+7
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Gifts are important for the Church and to keep us moving in the right direction with our Lord. I do, however, think some Churches focus more on the Holy Spirit's gifts and forget about the fruits and the most important fruit, love.

I fear a lot of churches in the U.S. are becoming more like businesses then meeting places for God's children.

5. Athlon4all

Athlon4all I'm offline indefintely

+1
    Amen!
    Do you have any scriptural support for that? Spiritual Gifts you certainly aren't born with (maybe at the new spiritual birth, but I dunno about that either)?

About the title, "misused gifts," I don't think that a true Spiritual Gift can be misused, because if you are truely under control by God, then he won't misuse it. There are however many people who "think" they are exherting a gift of the Spirit, but in reality are not, but are just doing what they think a Spiritual Gift is. No, no, that's not it at all. An important thing is that any Gift of the Spirit will glorify Jesus Christ, and the focus will not be on the Spiritual Gift or the person doing it, the focus will be on Jesus.

6. Hoonbaba

Hoonbaba Catholic Preterist

+39
    Catholic
    Not to mention that the gifts are best used when done in love, since 'love never fails' (1 Cor 13:8) ;)

-Jason

7. Hoonbaba

+39
    Catholic
    Hi Athlon4all,

I just thought I'd post my thoughts:  We can infer that the Corinthians were misusing their gifts based on 1 Cor 13:1-3, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.  This would likely explain why Paul says, 'love never fails', since they were probably using the gifts  :)

Just a thought

-Jason

8. Hoonbaba

+39
    Catholic
    While I don't know if I agree with that, I think there is some truth to it.  What encourages me though, is the fact that the bible says to 'desire the gifts' (1 Cor 12:31).  In fact Paul even says to eagerly desire the gifts, especially prophecy (1 Cor 14:1)!  I think that if a particular believer desires to become a teacher of God's word for the edification of the body of Christ (1 Cor 14:3), then God will grant that gift (1 Cor 12:28, Eph 4:11)

Uhm...personally, I don't know if the gifts of the Spirit can be equated to fortune telling. And I seriously don't think we should get prophecy confused with fortune telling =P (btw, Wayne Grudem has a very scholarly book on the gift of prophecy, which explains what prophecy really is as opposed to what many think it is).

God bless!

-Jason

9. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    I think there's a difference between being born with a "gift" (I'd call that a talent, the Bible calls it "inclination" in Proverbs i think) and being used in the operation of one or more of the 9 supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit as listed in 1 Cor 13.

You can't be born with the latter becos it is given as the Spirit wills to Christians only.

perhaps you need to define a few terms to make it clearer for us.

10. aus_koala

aus_koala New Member

+0
    Last count I saw was that there are 34 gifts however I think only 9 are counted as the spiritual gifts. I will find the list and post them ...

11. aus_koala

aus_koala New Member

+0
    Lets see now:
    Prophecy
    Pastor
    Teaching
    Wisdom
    Knowledge
    Exhortation
    Discerning of Spirits
    Giving
    Helps
    Mercy
    Missionary
    Evangelist
    Hospitality
    Faith
    Leadership
    Administration
    Miracles
    Healing
    Tongues
    Interpretation
    Voluntary Poverty
    Celibacy
    Intercession
    Exorcism
    Service
    Apostle
    Church Planting
    Craftmanship
    Shepherding

I was wrong....only 29..... If you want I can give scripture references and descriptions for most/all of these.....

12. SpiritPsalmist

SpiritPsalmist Heavy lean toward Messianic Supporter

+1,327
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    Hmmm!  Never really thought of it but I suppose it's a possibility.

That's why I believe it's so important for the church to train up people in these areas.  And by train I don't just mean the mechanics of the gifting. 

A deep relationship with God is a necessity.  The Spirit flowing freely so as to move the way God would and say what God would and do what God would.

Then on the part of those moving in the gifts to continue learning, growing, and maturing.  Many people discover they have a gift but never learn how to use it properly. . . To further the Kingdom of God. That's were the abuse comes in.

13. sklippstein

sklippstein Well-Known Member

+1
    Catholic
    I agree, but I've also seen some who claim they have gifts, but no evidence is seen.

14. SpiritPsalmist

SpiritPsalmist Heavy lean toward Messianic Supporter

+1,327
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    sklippstein, I'm sure there are alot of God's gifting in you that nobody see's yet!  But they are there :hug: . . .the right time, the right place . . .they will come out. 

A lot of people in my lifetime saw nothing good coming out of me, but there were others who did see.  And instead of tearing me down they built me up by letting me know they saw it.  Even if it was only in the Spirit that they saw it. . .they spoke it out as if I was walking in it right then.

I thank God for them.  For without their incouragement I would still be manifesting the things from my past. . .instead of the things of my future.

15. sklippstein

+1
    Catholic
    Ty Quaffer for ur encouraging words. God bless u.

16. aus_koala

aus_koala New Member

+0
    Quaffer,
    I agree, people have gifts they do not know about and no-one has seen. God knows its there and will use it when the time and circumstances require.

My reading of 1 Corinthians indicates that everyone has at least one gift and that the Church has to have at least one person with each gifting as the body would not function with parts missing.

From this my logic indicates that if a church is small then it still requires all the gifts to be available the same as a big church. This then means that people would have to have multiple gifts, if not all the time then temporarily when needed or awaiting someone with the 'permanent' gifting to turn up in their church. I have had personal experience of a few gifts being used and some I have only used on the one occasion and never felt compelled to use them again. It seemed like the 'usual' person with the gifting was not available or was not responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. In this situation God will use someone else who is open to the Holy Spirits prompting at the time when the gift is required for building the Church.

I think everyone who is open to the Holy Spirit can be used by God in any particular Gift at any time however some people are used more often in some gifts than others and in some churches a persons particular gifting may never come out because there is already someone else in that church who also has the same gift and are always there when that particular gift is required or they are too scared to use it.

I have found myself prophesying in Church in Hong Kong and in New York yet I don't class myself as having the Gift of prophecy. It just happens I was a visitor in these foreign churches and God decided the congregations needed a message from someone outside of their church and I was available.

I suppose that is the key to using gifts, your availability and obedience.

17. MyangelDems

MyangelDems TGBTG

+3
    Christian
    Married
    I think that most are born with their gifts, I myself have always had a healing tendency I really cant stand to see anyone in pain either physically or emotionally, I've always tried to make them better, even as a child I would try to help or "cure" people. As I am now, I'm fully aware of what gifts I have, and which ones God has not shown me fully how to act in, but I'm also a pre-med student looking to be a doctor. I'm hoping this wont offset my natural gifts, I don't think it will though? I think everyone has gifts, but that everyone shouldnt have the same gifts, if we did we wouldnt be able to edify because if you are already strong in every area then you do not need edification in any area, so then why would we even need the gifts? I've always been curious about this, especially about how people tend to pick and choose which gifts its okay to have. Any ideas?

18. sklippstein

+1
    Catholic
    All Christians have faith. Some, however, have the spiritual gift of faith, which is an unusual measure of trust in the Holy Spirits power.

19. sklippstein

+1
    Catholic
    No matter what git a person has each gift is given by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit decides which gifts each one of us should have and we are responsibile to use and sharpen our gifts, but we can take no credit for what God has freely given us.

20. MyangelDems

MyangelDems TGBTG

+3
    Christian
    Married
    ya know i think ive heard of this, is this anything like being called a "faith bearer"? Someone mentioned this term to me and I didn't quite understand it at the time. But this reminds me of people who have this child-like faith where they know that no matter what the circumstances are God is still in it, and I mean they seriously know that they know that everything will be alright and theyre just not really affected by trials. I thought this was so odd, but pretty cool too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.