Mississippi Police Fatally Shoot a the Wrong Man While Serving a Warrant...

LaraLara

1 leptofrofron + 1 leptofrafran = 1 leptofrofran
Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My current theory is: insufficient training, lack of proper oversight, and an unfortunately increasing War Zone mentality which encourages an aggressive stance which escalates situations that don't need to go lethal.

Upvote 0

LaraLara

1 leptofrofron + 1 leptofrafran = 1 leptofrofran
Jul 18, 2017
NRW
✟11,363.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My current theory is: insufficient training, lack of proper oversight, and an unfortunately increasing War Zone mentality which encourages an aggressive stance which escalates situations that don't need to go lethal.

I remember I read somewhere that US training is very short. In our country it is three years for an ordinary policeman.

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I remember I read somewhere that US training is very short. In our country it is three years for an ordinary policeman.

19 weeks is the average for the US. If you assume a 40-hour week schedule, it's 9 weeks in Louisiana (360 hours). There is no national standard.

For comparison, in Louisiana, a licensed manicurist requires 500 hours of training. You can strap on a gun and arrest people in less time than it would take you to be allowed to paint people's nails.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the first problem in the US is that the vetting process is too lenient. They don't do the psychological evaluations that they should. Some officers just aren't suited to working out in the field and should be placed only for administrative duties.

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think the first problem in the US is that the vetting process is too lenient. They don't do the psychological evaluations that they should. Some officers just aren't suited to working out in the field and should be placed only for administrative duties.

It's also compounded by the fragmented nature of the entire policing system, where you can have an officer who really shouldn't be on the force bounce from department to department without a record trail letting them know "yep, this officer is a bad choice".

This can be a problem if there are 15,400 local law enforcement departments throughout the country.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I never read a story like this in my country. What is up with US police?

No clue, but it seems they have enough support to do what the do - otherwise they wouldn't keep doing this type of thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Your IQ cannot be too high in most states in order to be a cop. Some jurisdictions literally bar IQ scores above 96, for example.

Not that they hire stupid people, they want people who follow orders without putting too much thought into the action. Basically, they need people who won't question authority.

So, the vetting process will never change until those policies change.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your IQ cannot be too high in most states in order to be a cop. Some jurisdictions literally bar IQ scores above 96, for example.

Not that they hire stupid people, they want people who follow orders without putting too much thought into the action. Basically, they need people who won't question authority.

So, the vetting process will never change until those policies change.

I always wondered if that was true - someone I worked for told me the same thing years ago

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I agree. IMO, anyone who wants to become a police officer, should undergo a significant amount of psychological tests, before being allowed to have the authority they do in the public.

After that, there is a good chance overall training regimes need to be reevaluated and changed, to include much more training, in being able to deescalate situations.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. IMO, anyone who wants to become a police officer, should undergo a significant amount of psychological tests, before being allowed to have the authority they do in the public.

After that, there is a good chance overall training regimes need to be reevaluated and changed, to include much more training, in being able to deescalate situations.

That would require police with higher IQ's.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It looks to me like they went there to kill someone, but didn't want to kill a white man, so they killed a Latino instead. In fact they may indeed have gone there to kill the Latino man.

Also, if you look at the two houses in question it is 'obvious' that the run down mobile home would be where problems would occur, not at the nice house across the street.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It looks to me like they went there to kill someone, but didn't want to kill a white man, so they killed a Latino instead. In fact they may indeed have gone there to kill the Latino man.

Also, if you look at the two houses in question it is 'obvious' that the run down mobile home would be where problems would occur, not at the nice house across the street.

I think problems can occur just about anywhere. Cops are supposed to have probable cause of problems occurring though, before drawing conclusions.

Upvote 0