Missionary Work in NY

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Received this in my email, and I thought I would pass this on for anyone who may be interested.
...............................................................................................................................

Almost three million Jewish people live in the greater New York area, with a community of 900,000 in Brooklyn alone. This is why Chosen People Ministries' headquarters is in New York City - we want to be right in the center of our mission field!

We cannot do this wonderful work of reaching Jewish people with the Gospel without your help! In addition to your prayers and financial support, we also need you to join us this summer in Brooklyn as part of our Shalom Brooklyn Summer Outreach. Whatever your age, whatever your skill, and whatever your ministry experience, we are confident the Lord will use you powerfully in reaching His chosen people for Messiah.

Our seasoned Chosen People Ministries staff workers will lead the teams. We will minister in many different ways, including public evangelism through book tables, Gospel tract distribution, public outreach events, sports, puppets, music, drama, and humanitarian services such as medical screening, wellness programs and much more.

Would you pray and ask the Lord if he wants you to join us this summer? We are following Messiah's instruction in Matthew 9:38 to "...pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest."

You just might be the answer to our prayers!

Your brother,

Mitch

This is a time of great opportunity for believers who have a heart for the Jewish people. Are you one of them? If so, then a short-term experience in Jewish outreach - including evangelism, discipleship, and hands-on training - is for you!

Shalom Brooklyn: Take a week or two of your summer to join us in the challenging and exciting journey of sharing the Gospel with Jewish people in New York City - especially in Brooklyn. You can help us utilize Isaiah 53 to share the Jewish Messiah through medical clinics, sports camps, lectures, street ministry and much more. Impact the largest Jewish population in the world!

Join us on one of two exciting trips to Israel - Outreach Israel and eXperience Israel.

eXperience Israel: A spiritual pilgrimage designed for young adults (ages 18-35) who want to engage with God by walking through the pages of biblical history and serving the people who live in Israel.

Outreach Israel: The Outreach Israel ministry trip is designed for college students and individuals ages 18-30 who are interested in reaching Israelis for the Messiah. Outreach Israel offers excellent opportunities to witness for the Lord and encourage Israeli youth who are a part of congregations in the Land.

Chosen People Ministries - 241 E. 51st Street - New York, NY - 10022 - Home | Chosen People Ministries

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Chosen People Ministries is a good organization, as is Jews for Jesus, and many others.

They share the good news of the prophesied Jewish Messiah, Yeshua/Jesus, who has come. There is nothing more Jewish then for a Jewish person to recognize and receive the Jewish Messiah.

And He came for Gentiles too, as prophesied.

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
The only thing I can say is that the thought and intent is a good one, but unfortunately I think doomed to failue. The only peole that flock to these things (including revival type things for gentiles) are people already aware of what it is all about. Do you really think the majority of the audience at any Billy Graham Revival were people who had never heard the gospel? No, they were all believers of one caliber or another......
Again, grand idea, but.......

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
. There is nothing more Jewish then for a Jewish person to recognize and receive the Jewish Messiah.
Are you Jewish? If so, were you brought up religious?
Just curious, because I have never understood that statement and generally hear it from Gentiles.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I am Jewish and was brought up religious.

Think of it as saying, there is nothing more Jewish then for a Jewish male to be ritually circumcised, which is the Jewish thing to do.

There is nothing more Jewish, then receiving the Jewish Messianic.

If a person believes this: 'I believe with perfect faith in the coming of the Messiah. How long it takes, I will await His coming every day.' and you find out the Messiah has come, then you will believe with perfect faith that the Messiah has come. And accept Him as the Messiah. That is the Jewish thing to do.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This kind of discussion is bound to cause strife to some extent.
A while back I saw an article about this group, but haven't heard anything
about them since. I wonder what their "success rate" is.....I know when these type of groups have come through
our area it's been zilch, although they don't have permanent presence here.

It was orginally named American board of Missions to the Jews and was founded by Leopold Cohn. Moishe Rosen started out as a missionary with ABMJ. The name was changed to Chosen People Ministries around 1984.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I can say is that the thought and intent is a good one, but unfortunately I think doomed to failue. The only peole that flock to these things (including revival type things for gentiles) are people already aware of what it is all about. Do you really think the majority of the audience at any Billy Graham Revival were people who had never heard the gospel? No, they were all believers of one caliber or another......
Again, grand idea, but.......

I am assuming this is not a Billy Graham style of outreach as most Missions boards to the Jewish people use a style developed by Jews for Jesus, which is more effective.

I know a few of the missionaries who work for Chosen People ministries, quite a few with Jews for Jesus, and others from various other Missions board dedicated to sharing the gospel with the Jewish people. I have worked along side a few of the people, on the streets.

When you make yourself available on the streets in a Jewish neighborhood, proclaiming to be a Jewish believer in Jesus, you find that most do not know much if they know anything at all about Jesus, other then He is the 'Gentile' God.

The number of Jewish believers is a little less then 1% of the Jewish population.

Jews for Jesus has an outreach in NYC every summer, and has had it for about 35 years. I'm not sure how long Chosen People ministries has had their NYC summer outreach. I suspect for at least 15 years, but I do not know for sure.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am Jewish and was brought up religious.
May I ask how you define "brought up religious"?
It seems to have a wide definition. To me it means Orthodox, to others
it's something else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My father was Orthodox and was a teacher in the religious school.
(My mother was brought up Reform, and ate treif at restaurants, outside of the house).
Interesting combination there :). Did dad go OTD? Of not, it must have been difficult for you mother
to make those kind of changes.
You have said you are now Chassidic. Were you brought up Chassidic?
I am not Chassidic, although I do attend a Chabad shul as well as an OU shul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Curious as to the "success" rate with these J4J and Chosen People campaigns. And by success I mean, how many Jews actually "convert" to Christianity and give up their normative Jewish practice? How many begin attending Messianic synagogues and become involved in Messianic Judaism while maintaining their Jewish distinction?

Upvote 0

Temptinfates

Mar 5, 2010
Cartersville, Georgia
✟15,738.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Like weighing scripture, there usually are two sides. On the one side it is seen as a disruption of community that most "outreach ministries" do not consider. I spent some time in a JFJ chatroom and was not impressed. There were "anti-missionaries" that would come in to try to disrupt it. So, I went to their websites to see what their view was. It seems that some of these people trying to convert Jews don't care about other issues in Jewish communities at all--as long as they "get someone saved".
Part of this is the idea in some circles that they can somehow hurry up Messiah's return and prophetic events. Many Jewish people are highly skeptical of such groups and for good measure. Some understand what I am saying.
This is a problem for MJ. If MJ is just an outreach of christianity, then they ought to come out and admit it. Many Jewish communities say that is what we are. That is what many christians say or want us to be. JFJ is seen as that because it's founder was a christian. Many people that come here do not understand these issues when they want MJ's to be just another branch of christianity. I think some of these type people should see the other side a little bit before they go on these crusades.
If someone came to me teaching G-d did away with his law, Sunday instead of Sabbath, forget the feasts, and brother come have a pork sandwich were to try to get me to believe that they worship the same G-d, I would have serious doubts about it. Instead of presenting or being able to present Messiah as most Messianics try to do, there are some that want to describe us as mere christians in disguise with deceptive measures to tear down Jewish communities. Now, some christians take offence that we don't want to be like them in many ways. They can't see that if our worship of the creator and Messiah are not the same as theirs, then we are so wrong or bashing christianity. If we, on the other hand present ourselves as more christian (if there is such a thing), then we are seen as evilly trying to destroy Jewish communities.
And, Vis, I know you have good intentions-and that is not even a question in my mind. I just think that some people should take some time and consider what Jewish leaders and communities have to say about it first.
Temptinfates

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Temptinfates said:
Like weighing scripture, there usually are two sides. On the one side it is seen as a disruption of community that most "outreach ministries" do not consider. I spent some time in a JFJ chatroom and was not impressed. There were "anti-missionaries" that would come in to try to disrupt it. So, I went to their websites to see what their view was. It seems that some of these people trying to convert Jews don't care about other issues in Jewish communities at all--as long as they "get someone saved".
Part of this is the idea in some circles that they can somehow hurry up Messiah's return and prophetic events. Many Jewish people are highly skeptical of such groups and for good measure. Some understand what I am saying.
This is a problem for MJ. If MJ is just an outreach of christianity, then they ought to come out and admit it. Many Jewish communities say that is what we are. That is what many christians say or want us to be. JFJ is seen as that because it's founder was a christian. Many people that come here do not understand these issues when they want MJ's to be just another branch of christianity. I think some of these type people should see the other side a little bit before they go on these crusades.
If someone came to me teaching G-d did away with his law, Sunday instead of Sabbath, forget the feasts, and brother come have a pork sandwich were to try to get me to believe that they worship the same G-d, I would have serious doubts about it. Instead of presenting or being able to present Messiah as most Messianics try to do, there are some that want to describe us as mere christians in disguise with deceptive measures to tear down Jewish communities. Now, some christians take offence that we don't want to be like them in many ways. They can't see that if our worship of the creator and Messiah are not the same as theirs, then we are so wrong or bashing christianity. If we, on the other hand present ourselves as more christian (if there is such a thing), then we are seen as evilly trying to destroy Jewish communities.
And, Vis, I know you have good intentions-and that is not even a question in my mind. I just think that some people should take some time and consider what Jewish leaders and communities have to say about it first.
Temptinfates
Well and truly said.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Curious as to the "success" rate with these J4J and Chosen People campaigns. And by success I mean, how many Jews actually "convert" to Christianity and give up their normative Jewish practice? How many begin attending Messianic synagogues and become involved in Messianic Judaism while maintaining their Jewish distinction?
It would be interesting to know, but I don't think there is really any way to find out....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Temptinfates

I view Messianic Judaism as a Jewish form of Christianity.

Christianity, at its most minimal basic, believes the Jesus is God, clothed in human flesh, who came to the earth, lived a perfect life, died for our sin, rose again on the third day. And there is only one way to be saved, by faith alone in Yeshua.

Messianic Judaism teaches the same thing. These are the basic truths of both beliefs and the fundamentals of the faith. A person does not have to be Messianic to be saved.

When Judaism looks at Messianic Judaism and says, the belief in Jesus, as we believe is Christianity, they are right. But most Jewish people do not understand what that means. A Christian is a disciple of Jesus. A Messianic Jew is a disciple of Jesus/Yeshua. Why? Because He is the Jewish Messiah and savior.

Messianic Judaism started with two purposes. One is definitely to share the good news with the Jewish people. The second was to assist Jewish believers with their unique problems and cultural views. Messianic Judaism was a Jewish community of believers when the Jewish community ejected us and tried to deny we even existed. We exist, we are Jewish and we believe in the Jewish Messiah. That made us visible, and undeniable that we exist, and that in itself is making the good news for Jewish people visible.

Prior to the 1990's all Messianic Jews considered themselves also Christian. This denial of Messianic Judaism being Christianity is very very recent, and there has been some papers written about this issue.

Messianic Judaism is primarily an outreach by the Jewish believers to our Jewish people (and Gentiles who worship along side and love the Jewish people).

Jews for Jesus is a missionary board whose sole purpose is to share the good news of the Messiah with the Jewish people. That doesn't mean that they do not become involved in Jewish issues, but you will never see it in a Jews for Jesus room. The involvement in Jewish issues is definitely in the background and not showcased. If the Lord puts something in your heart to do, and that is your primary purpose, that is what you will put out front.

Jews for Jesus does not teach that they are trying to get Jesus to return and that is the reason for sharing the gospel. If your parents had not yet accepted Yeshua, you would want your parents to hear, believe and receive salvation. Jews for Jesus is Jewish believers who have a desire to see their own families and Jewish community come to Yeshua. As many as are willing.

Me personally, I hope Jesus tarries. I want more time for my own people to hear the gospel and hopefully believe.

But Messianic Judaism has always been about sharing the good news with the Jewish people. Most Jewish believers came from families where they are the only person who believes on Yeshua. And we want our parents brothers sisters aunts uncles nieces nephews, in laws, cousins and neighbors to believe.

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Goyishe naches, Anisavta.:)

My suspicion - is it's largely a waste of time, sorry to dissapoint j4js. A jew comes to xtian faith on his/her own or not at all, and traditions they are pushing are a hard sell, a jew is usually smart enough to distinguish traditions that came into being thru political shenanigans of theologians or the Pope from something that is truly related to our faith.

Plus - critical thinking that jews approach theology with.Despite the zeal most evangelicals have a very rudimentary knowledge of scriptures...

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

From my view, I never converted.

To convert means to turn away and turn to. The Tenakh is not to be turned away from. It is also the words of God.

What I did do was realize that the New Testament was actually a Jewish book about Jewish people and the Jewish Messiah. And Yeshua really is the Jewish Messiah.

I don't know much about Chosen People ministries and how they track numbers.

I do know more about Jews for Jesus. They try not to keep count. They do keep count of contacts with Jewish people where Jesus is brought up. In scripture, it says the one plants but another waters, and then another harvests. But it is actually the Lord who saves. How can we take credit for a person who believes on Yeshua? What about the planters and harvesters, and it is the Lord who actually saves. So, our responsibility and what we can do, is share the gospel.

But, I can say that when I first accepted Yeshua, there were maybe 20,000 Jewish believers. There are now around 120,000 Jewish believers. When I accepted Yeshua, I thought I was the only Jew on the face of the earth who discovered who Jesus really was. I look around today, and say we are still too few in number, but still, what a huge difference.

Upvote 0