Democrat
Apr 12, 2004
Belgium
✟16,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I recently saw the debate between Inspiring Phylosophy and Cosmic Skeptic : www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ulnmb-4v2M

Cosmic Skeptic is still young but seems to have talent. He will probably become a skilled adversary of superstition.

I don't really adhere to any moral phylosophies (except perhaps utilitarianism) because I haven't investigated any of them enough, because all of them seem to miss the point. In this post is my view of morality from 6 years ago, which is still reasonably accurate : 'The subjectivity of objective morality' : www.debate.org/forums/religion/topic/56333/

Presupposionalists have a habit of asking annoying questions, like : “How can you know anything ?”
Atheists have difficulty answering such questions because :
  1. They don't understand the question.
  2. They lack the expertise to answer the question.
  3. Providing a complete answer would be a lot of work, while atheists are lazy.
These are good excuses for failing to answer the question, but most atheists fail to realize that. They think they ought to be able to provide a comprehensive answer. The wannabe god-believers can then enjoy the spectacle of a clumsy atheist falling over his words.

Moral argumentalists have a habit of asking annoying questions, like : “If the Nazis came to power and decided that gassing Jews for fun is good, would it then be good ?”

Atheists have difficulty answering such questions because they don't understand the question.

Language is conventional. In order to be answered, it needs to be interpreted. Presumably, that one ought to be interpreted according to the conventions of the English language. However, that convention is not always clear. Many words are poorly understood by those sending or receiving them, like time, life, to exist and god. One of these problem words is good. Depending on how one would define good, the answer to the question would be different.

If good means whatever is in agreement with Nazi moral standard, then the answer would be yes.
If good means whatever is in accordance with God's nature, then one can wonder how the Nazis could decide something like that, but the answer would still be yes.

About whether there exist moral facts or objective moral claims, depending on how one defines these terms and 'to exist', there are or there aren't. Either way, as far as the evidence is concerned, God has nothing to do with them.

Another thing Christians have an issue with is that standards can change. Once people claimed slaverly is good and now it is bad. They can't both be right, so who is right ?

Pluto was a planet, but in 2006 the International Astronomical Union decided that Pluto was no longer a planet, but a dwarf planet in stead. Why ? Astronomers disliked Pluto being a planet. Before that date most astronomers, when asked, said Pluto is a planet. Were they wrong then ? The astronmers then and now contradict each other and they can't both be right.

That is the sort of silly contradiction Christians see in morality and they invent God to solve it. They just declare God right and everyone who disagrees with him wrong. However, that does not solve the problem. Only everyone agreeing would solve the problem.

The moral argument is a nirvana fallacy combined with a God-of-the-gaps argument : people don't understand morality, dislike that someone doing evil is not 'really' wrong and like believing in God. Inventing God allows hitting three birds with one stone.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Missing sense, reason and clarification in post 2.
You had an opportunity to restate your opening post in the light of my criticism, a criticism that attracted agreement from three other members. More telling was the complete absence of any other posts, for or against.

If you have something to say your are not, at present, getting it across. You have two main options:
  • Rethink and rewrite your thesis
  • Try to shoot the messenger
At the moment you have opted for the second approach. How's that working for you?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Might makes right and God is the mightiest. But God is all things that are good. so the most beautiful is the most truthful. The most virtuous is also the wisest.

I have no need of objective morality because I have Divine being versus all other beings. if someone was better than God, god would step down and honor them.

The desire of equal outcome might sometimes be rooted in moral systems. But God is better than your ways and that's why I pick him over you. Because there is better and worse I have to feel shame because I do not measure up to an ideal of myself.

I abandon that which I no longer need and I cling on to that which I find valuable. Because of God's infinite nature and because of my limited nature, that can grow and become, it would appear that morality is subjective. But it's nothing more than a finite point of reality expanding into the infinitude of reality.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently saw the debate between Inspiring Phylosophy and Cosmic Skeptic : www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ulnmb-4v2M

Cosmic Skeptic is still young but seems to have talent. He will probably become a skilled adversary of superstition.

I don't really adhere to any moral phylosophies (except perhaps utilitarianism) because I haven't investigated any of them enough, because all of them seem to miss the point. In this post is my view of morality from 6 years ago, which is still reasonably accurate : 'The subjectivity of objective morality' : www.debate.org/forums/religion/topic/56333/

Presupposionalists have a habit of asking annoying questions, like : “How can you know anything ?”
Atheists have difficulty answering such questions because :
  1. They don't understand the question.
  2. They lack the expertise to answer the question.
  3. Providing a complete answer would be a lot of work, while atheists are lazy.
These are good excuses for failing to answer the question, but most atheists fail to realize that. They think they ought to be able to provide a comprehensive answer. The wannabe god-believers can then enjoy the spectacle of a clumsy atheist falling over his words.

Moral argumentalists have a habit of asking annoying questions, like : “If the Nazis came to power and decided that gassing Jews for fun is good, would it then be good ?”

Atheists have difficulty answering such questions because they don't understand the question.

Language is conventional. In order to be answered, it needs to be interpreted. Presumably, that one ought to be interpreted according to the conventions of the English language. However, that convention is not always clear. Many words are poorly understood by those sending or receiving them, like time, life, to exist and god. One of these problem words is good. Depending on how one would define good, the answer to the question would be different.

If good means whatever is in agreement with Nazi moral standard, then the answer would be yes.
If good means whatever is in accordance with God's nature, then one can wonder how the Nazis could decide something like that, but the answer would still be yes.

About whether there exist moral facts or objective moral claims, depending on how one defines these terms and 'to exist', there are or there aren't. Either way, as far as the evidence is concerned, God has nothing to do with them.

Another thing Christians have an issue with is that standards can change. Once people claimed slaverly is good and now it is bad. They can't both be right, so who is right ?

Pluto was a planet, but in 2006 the International Astronomical Union decided that Pluto was no longer a planet, but a dwarf planet in stead. Why ? Astronomers disliked Pluto being a planet. Before that date most astronomers, when asked, said Pluto is a planet. Were they wrong then ? The astronmers then and now contradict each other and they can't both be right.

That is the sort of silly contradiction Christians see in morality and they invent God to solve it. They just declare God right and everyone who disagrees with him wrong. However, that does not solve the problem. Only everyone agreeing would solve the problem.

The moral argument is a nirvana fallacy combined with a God-of-the-gaps argument : people don't understand morality, dislike that someone doing evil is not 'really' wrong and like believing in God. Inventing God allows hitting three birds with one stone.

Is it just me or is the list of 'fallacies' various atheists refer to is an ever growing thing with no end in sight?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amoranemix

Democrat
Apr 12, 2004
Belgium
✟16,446.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
@Ophiolite :
Thank you for your constructive criticism and for bumping my post. My views on morality are not popular and tend to go over people's head.

Could you please be more specific with your criticism ? Giving an even longer explanation is probably counter-productive and I have added analogies in an attempt to be concrete and to illustrate and support my position. What do you identify as non-sensible or lacking reason ?

2PhiloVoid 6 said:
Is it just me, or is the list of 'fallacies' that various atheists refer to an ever growing thing, with no end in sight?
I am unlcear on what 'fallacies' you are referring to. If you qualify the moral argument as a 'fallacy', then that 'fallacy' has to my knowledge been on the list since ever the argument was used.

Upvote 0