Missing Mystery Science Theater 3000? Joel Hodgson Has a Kickstarter for That (Again)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Wolseley

From modest beginnings on a local Minneapolis television station in the late 1980s to cable to a live tour, Mystery Science Theater 3000 has proved to be an enduring cult classic. The show—which features a captive audience of one human and several robots riffing on bad movies—was last seen on Netflixfor a two-season revival in 2017 and 2018.

With the streaming service opting not to pick it up for a third season, creator Joel Hodgson and Shout! Factory are going direct-to-consumer with a Kickstarter that allows MST3K fans to fund new episodes without any meddlesome executives involved.

“A year in quarantine gave us a lot of time to think, and we realized two important things,” Hodgson said in a press release. “First, nobody’s virtual Zoom background is as amusing as they think it is. And second, that Mystery Science Theater 3000 is back because it's what the fans wanted. So, you know, it doesn't make sense for a network to decide the show's fate after each season. That should be up to the people we're making the show for. We want ourfans to decide how long we keep going, and how many new episodes we make each year.”

645277-shoutfactory.jpg

Joel Hodgson, Patton Oswalt, Jonah Ray, and Felicia Day want to make more MST3K.SHOUT! FACTORY

Continued below.
Missing <em>Mystery Science Theater 3000</em>? Joel Hodgson Has a Kickstarter for That (Again)

Last edited:

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've tried to watch a few of MST3K episodes and didn't much care for them. You can watch a lot of them for free on streaming TV Shout Factory channel.

I'll admit a lot of them weren't very good, but some of them---especially in the later seasons---were absolutely hilarious! Some of my personal faves were "Werewolf", "The Final Sacrifice" ("Rowsdower!"), "Space Mutiny", "The Giant Spider Invasion", "The Horror of Party Beach", and "Soultaker". :)

Upvote 0