Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I'm trying to understand Orthodoxy, how is this viewed.

Catholics are generally taught if you miss Mass it's a mortal sin, and if you die in mortal sin you go to hell. Same thing for Holy Days of Obligation I believe.

This has resulted in what we are calling "checkmarkism" many going to Mass to get their checkmark, but really not out of want or desire. It leverages guilt and fear and attempts to be controlling.

I think the issue is not as much missing Mass as it is a heart that does not want to go. I have also argued that special days should be called Holy Days of Celebration not Obligation. The whole Catholic atmosphere seems to run on guilt and control - and some of the most unconverted people I have met have got all the "checkmarks".

Does Orthodoxy treat days of worship - either Sundays or special days - like this?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
As I'm trying to understand Orthodoxy, how is this viewed.

Catholics are generally taught if you miss Mass it's a mortal sin, and if you die in mortal sin you go to hell. Same thing for Holy Days of Obligation I believe.

This has resulted in what we are calling "checkmarkism" many going to Mass to get their checkmark, but really not out of want or desire. It leverages guilt and fear and attempts to be controlling.

I think the issue is not as much missing Mass as it is a heart that does not want to go. I have also argued that special days should be called Holy Days of Celebration not Obligation. The whole Catholic atmosphere seems to run on guilt and control - and some of the most unconverted people I have met have got all the "checkmarks".

I agree with your perception. And many Catholics don't seem to take it all that seriously anymore, so the teaching falls on deaf ears.

My impression of Orthodoxy is that it's alot like Lutheranism or Anglicanism in that not going to church on any given sunday is not exactly a sin. It really varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction- in many Orthodox churches if you aren't a regular attendee going to confession, you aren't a communicant. However, it's hard to twist peoples arms to get them to go to church, that simply doesn't work in the modern world.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree it's more about the heart.

We don't check off the boxes of going to Church. But if Jesus is going to be somewhere, and you simply can't be bothered to go or you'd rather do something else, what does that say about your love for God? It needs to be carefully examined in that case.

Upvote 0