Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I read on Google the Old Testament originally had 14 Apocrypha books. However, on the list of missing books is additional text in Esther, which means the Vatican took out 13 plus, not a full 14 OT books. In addition, some books were removed from the New Testament.

I also have seen only seven books were removed from the Bible. Where did this come from?

Also, if the Vatican removed the Apocryphal books and chapters, why are Roman Catholics still reading them?

Reactions: Tayla

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Also, if the Vatican removed the Apocryphal books and chapters, why are Roman Catholics still reading them?
They are reading some of them. You seemed to me to be making this very point in your own post.

Prior to the Reformation, these books were not accepted as unquestionably part of the canon of Scripture by the Catholic Church and they were, in fact, not accepted in the same form--the same books--throughout the Christian world before then either.

And then the Roman Catholic Church responded to the Protestants by making some changes in the listing of Apocryphal books that it was going to consider to be part of Holy Scripture thereafter..

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I read on Google the Old Testament originally had 14 Apocrypha books. However, on the list of missing books is additional text in Esther, which means the Vatican took out 13 plus, not a full 14 OT books. In addition, some books were removed from the New Testament.

I also have seen only seven books were removed from the Bible. Where did this come from?

You have that the other way around I'm afraid. The Christian canon has always contained the books of the Septuagint. The Septuagint is a collection of Jewish books -an old testament if you will- compiled prior to Christianity. Those books were "officially" canonized by several Christian Synods in the fifth century. That canon has always included those books you mentioned, often referred to as the "apocrypha".

The modern Jewish canon was not "officially" established until late first century AD after the destruction of the Jewish temple. That canon does not include the apocrypha. During the protestant reformation, circa sixteenth century, some protestants took issue with those books and they were finally removed entirely from protestant bibles around one hundred years ago.

The new testament canon was formalized by the same Christian Synods in the fifth century from books considered authentic by those Synods based on which books had been accepted through tradition. Other books were rejected by those synods, including authentic letters written by sub-apostolic fathers, pious frauds, and gnostic forgeries.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You have that the other way around I'm afraid. The Christian canon has always contained the books of the Septuagint. The Septuagint is a collection of Jewish books -an old testament if you will- compiled prior to Christianity. Those books were "officially" canonized by several Christian Synods in the fifth century. That canon has always included those books you mentioned, often referred to as the "apocrypha".
Included, yes. As opposed to excluded. But their status as part of the canon was not
decided then.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
They are reading some of them. You seemed to me to be making this very point in your own post.

Prior to the Reformation, these books were not accepted as unquestionably part of the canon of Scripture by the Catholic Church and they were, in fact, not accepted in the same form--the same books--throughout the Christian world before then either.

And then the Roman Catholic Church responded to the Protestants by making some changes in the listing of Apocryphal books that it was going to consider to be part of Holy Scripture thereafter.

What prompted the Pope's decision to bring some books back?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
which means the Vatican took out 13 plus

This is the second time in about a year that I've seen the claim on CF that the Vatican removed books from the canon. (The earlier discussion was this one: Why did the vatican remove 14 books from bible?) You said you found this idea in a Google search; can I ask what web site supplied the information? It's a really odd idea, and since it's come up multiple times, I'm curious about whether there's an odd web site out there that people are running into.

Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Christians disagree about exactly which books belong in the OT canon, but Catholics use a larger canon than Protestants do, not a smaller one, so it wouldn't have been the Vatican that removed books. That's why the claim about the Vatican seems so strange to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the pointer to this web site. There are multiple problems with the claims on the web site (and note the complete lack of scholarly footnotes), but one big issue is that the site seems to be talking about the history of the King James translation into English, in 1611 and subsequent editions. By 1611, England had broken with Rome. King James was not Catholic and did not answer to the Vatican. So, any complaints about the books included or excluded from the King James Version are actually complaints about the policies of the Church of England.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
King James was not Catholic and did not answer to the Vatican.

Actually James VI of Scotland was Roman Catholic. In order to assume the throne of England as James I he had to renounce his Catholicism. He had his priorities and he made his choice accordingly. Power corrupts doesn't it?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Actually James VI of Scotland was Roman Catholic. In order to assume the throne of England as James I he had to renounce his Catholicism. He had his priorities and he made his choice accordingly. Power corrupts doesn't it?

So he changed his thorne succession number to make himself appear to be the first kind named James?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
So he changed his thorne succession number to make himself appear to be the first kind named James?

On the Scottish throne he was the sixth James but he became the first James on the English throne but he remained king of both.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0