West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So, i'm going to miss mass today and i'm really angry at myself. I had every intention to go. Went to communion yesterday evening in preparation and set my alarms. However, I managed to get woken up by my alarms but in my "just woken up daze" I completely forgot I had mass (I've only recently started to make myself go regularly as I got more serious about my faith) and fell straight back to sleep involuntarily. This is a common thing for me where I struggle to get up when i'm exhausted (i've been quite sleep deprived this week more than usual). I ended up waking up 40 mins before mass started, but I walk to mass and the walk takes about 20 mins and I just wouldn't have been ready on time.

I am so angry at myself as this is the first one i've missed since making the decision to go every single week and I feel like a real disappointment to myself and God.

I'm not sure if i've committed a mortal sin. I had every intention to go and my waking up late was out of my control. I thought to myself that maybe I should have gone to bed earlier, but I wasn't tired at the time and if i'm not tired mentally then it takes me ages to sleep.

I'm not looking for somebody to sugar coat it (which i'm sure I won't get on here haha), but I want to know if i've committed a mortal sin so I at least know to arrange another confession with Father. My head is telling me theres nothing more I could have done apart from go to bed earlier, but my head is also telling me that I know full well if I had done i'd have probably just been lying there for hours struggling to sleep anyway. But I feel so rotten inside anyway. I don't know.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Exact samething happend to me this morning got woke up by alarm fell back to sleep woke up 15 min b4 mass... wud never had made it on time... be late walk in on the gospel?? or go to another mass... decided to go to a local 10am novus ordo mass instead.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Things happen sometimes. If it's not intentional or if it's unavoidable you are fine. I missed last week because my son and wife were sick and I was exhausted after a 65 hour work week. No way for me to take a hacking sick child to mass all the while being exhausted myself. There are circumstances that make us excused :)

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I managed to get to the 5PM mass. Managed to get my dad to give me a lift so I was so relieved.

Thank God for those priests who hold more than one mass a day.

And thank God for our parents too :wink:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I managed to get to the 5PM mass. Managed to get my dad to give me a lift so I was so relieved.

Thank God for those priests who hold more than one mass a day.

It's important not to fall into legalism too. It happens. There's a very good reason for our Sunday obligation and we are to keep it, but it's not a tool to torment us rather it's the church's way of pushing her son's and daughters to remain faithful and close to the Lord.

It's intention is solemnly pastoral. It's a way to keep our fallible flesh from turning away from the Lord. To help us in our task on earth.

We must consider it a blessing and not a punishment. If you miss out on mass you'll miss it and suffer from it spiritually and if this continues you'll grow away from the Lord.
Keep going to mass is essential in order for us to keep oil on our a lamps.

Upvote 0