✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or is it really stalkerish?

A woman in my local area, posted to a local Facebook group about a casual encounter she had with a guy at a grocery store that she was attracted to. They had a brief banter in the store, and then bumped into each other later, and flirted in the parking lot.

They didn't exchange contact info, but she jumped on the local community FB group to attempt to locate this guy and if anyone knows him, to contact her.

A lot of women jumped on this thread, totally rooting for this connection, which is great....however, I feel like jumping into it all with a comment, "Hm, if it was switched...the man seeking out the woman on here, would it be kind of creepy or stalkerish in nature?"

Thoughts on this?

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My first thought was, what if the guy is married. He definitely soon would be found out. Or what if he has a girlfriend. That's probably the negative side, but involving community can be a good thing. She will quickly get some background information on this guy if she's able to connect. A lot more information will be given to her then if she just had exchanged phone numbers with him. Also if he had acted quickly, the back of my mind I would be wondering how often this guy does that and if he is just a charming guy.

I've had so many encounters like what the woman had but never ventured to pursue it. There is actually an app I think it's called Miss connection or something, the app is based on the exact premise of your post which is when you make a connection with somebody but you never exchanged phone numbers.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reminds me of a song by Michael Bublé.

If they were already flirting etc., I don't think it would necessarily be creepy or stalkerish for the guy to do the same.

But yeah, like @sampa mentioned, he might already be married. Or maybe he's the kind of guy who flirts with everyone. I wouldn't assume that there was necessarily a meaningful connection. After all, why didn't they exchange contact info? There's probably a reason why it didn't happen.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A woman in my local area, posted to a local Facebook group about a casual encounter she had with a guy at a grocery store that she was attracted to. They had a brief banter in the store, and then bumped into each other later, and flirted in the parking lot.

They didn't exchange contact info, but she jumped on the local community FB group to attempt to locate this guy and if anyone knows him, to contact her.

A lot of women jumped on this thread, totally rooting for this connection, which is great....however, I feel like jumping into it all with a comment, "Hm, if it was switched...the man seeking out the woman on here, would it be kind of creepy or stalkerish in nature?"

Thoughts on this?

Personally, that would feel stalkerish to me. If I learned someone was interested in me and was using fb to find me, I would definitely avoid that one. I don’t need that kind of extroversion in my life. ^_^

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So here's a story relating sort of similar to that. A friend I know lived in Chicago at one time. While she was walking her dog she saw another man walking his dog. They would make conversation every time they would run into each other. Then one day he said he was going to be leaving out of country for a while and not to be alarmed. After he left there was something in her that told her that she needed to get to know him and that she should seek him out. I think this was the 1990s so she searched all the telephone books for his last name and started making calls. She finally located his parents who then exchanged her phone number with him. I think they got together for dinner and maybe a couple other times but they lost touch again for about a year and bumped into each other again out on the streets.h Tey ended up marrying and moved away from Chicago but I think 15 years later they divorced. But for the longest time she felt like this is a connection that she needed to pursue. It seemed like a good story at the time, but now she is happy with someone else.

That's about the closest story I have heard of somebody seeking out someone they felt a connection with but this was one that she had bumped into multiple times. Not just a one-time thing.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Personally, that would feel stalkerish to me. If I learned someone was interested in me and was using fb to find me, I would definitely avoid that one. I don’t need that kind of extroversion in my life. ^_^
lol

I imagine this kind of thing happening to other people. If it happened to me, that might feel a little awkward come to think of it.

She wouldn't find me on fb, as I haven't been on there since the late 2000s.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What is sad is, she just made a 2ND post on the city FB group trying to find this guy, now this...this is getting obsessive at this point. Now she's not letting it go it seems. People saying otherwise are immediately shut down with "Shut up, and let her find the love of her life!!"

Some honestly believe this is a TRUE love story in the making! Gross

In this next post, she's asking people to SHARE her photo around to see if it can get back to him.

The ladies there are only encouraging her for the purpose of entertainment.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So here's a story relating sort of similar to that. A friend I know lived in Chicago at one time. While she was walking her dog she saw another man walking his dog. They would make conversation every time they would run into each other. Then one day he said he was going to be leaving out of country for a while and not to be alarmed. After he left there was something in her that told her that she needed to get to know him and that she should seek him out. I think this was the 1990s so she searched all the telephone books for his last name and started making calls.

You know what's sad...if a guy did this, he'd be labeled a stalker.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is sad is, she just made a 2ND post on the city FB group trying to find this guy, now this...this is getting obsessive at this point. Now she's not letting it go it seems. People saying otherwise are immediately shut down with "Shut up, and let her find the love of her life!!"

In this next post, she's asking people to SHARE her photo around to see if it can get back to him.

The ladies there are only encouraging her for the purpose of entertainment.

I feel sorry for the guy, but that's only because I'm projecting how I would feel into the situation. This situation would be a hard, "No thanks" for me, but some guys might like that. To each their own, but this kind of behavior sends up all kinds of red flags for me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟123,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If there was a chance before that he was interested and he was single, I don't think there's much of a chance now unless he's some kind of public displays romantic.
I think when something is put out in public there's a lot of pressure.

Not that this situation is the same but There was a situation where a boyfriend tried to propose to his girlfriend at a ball game recently, she looked taken aback and surprised. It was enough that other people started pulling out their phones and even the ball game cameras came on the situation. He pulled out a candy ring and immediately she slapped him. And there was shock from the people in the audience behind. And it's been a viral post that has divided audiences on her reaction. And also the form in which he did the joke in a public place. He probably had the real ring and his left pocket because you can see the outline of a box there.

You know what's sad...if a guy did this, he'd be labeled a stalker.
You are indeed right. The divorce was quite a messy thing. The husband about to be ex had an obsessive look about finding her whereabouts. And unfortunately I had to lie when I ran into him in a coffee house that he did his work remotely. The chemicals of what we consider love can do some crazy things sometimes.

Again the case of this girl that you are posting about I think she's in for a huge letdown. I don't think there's any guy that has that capacity for public display unless he's a unicorn or an actor like Tom Cruise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would have been flattered.

Is it okay for a guy to be flattered or is that mainly considered a girl thing?

I'm sure different people would take it different ways. I don't see why a guy can't be flattered. That would not he my response in this case, but that's me.

Reactions: Vinter
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thoughts on this?

Personally, I don't really find it creepy or stalkerish. Man or woman.

Depends on what the guy ( or girl) looks like though. Not saying it's right or fair. Just how people are going to perceive things. Not that good look stops one from being seen as creepy to others... but I think ugly people tend to get less of a pass.

Upvote 0