New Jersey
✟335,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't going to respond when it was just a couple of people commenting, but when 6 people take a joke window decal seriously it behooves me to inform you all that IT'S A JOKE.

It's a joke, but it's a joke with a point.

When my oldest child was a teenager, my husband's brothers got my husband a "Dads against daughters dating" t-shirt as a birthday present. The brothers thought it was funny. My husband and I had seen the DADD meme before, but the implications of it struck us when we had both the shirt and our real-life daughter in front of us. DADD says that Dad is uncomfortable with his daughter becoming an adult sexual being; that Dad has no plans to rejoice as his daughter finds love; that Dad would prefer that his daughter never find a romantic partner; that if she does insist on finding a partner, she and the partner should at least be afraid and ashamed. My daughter (who was at the birthday party) commented later that the family seemed to be unclear on how people acquire grandchildren.

To his credit, my husband said one of those noncommittal things that you say when you get an awkward present, and never wore the shirt.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,183.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's a joke, but it's a joke with a point.

When my oldest child was a teenager, my husband's brothers got my husband a "Dads against daughters dating" t-shirt as a birthday present. The brothers thought it was funny. My husband and I had seen the DADD meme before, but the implications of it struck us when we had both the shirt and our real-life daughter in front of us. DADD says that Dad is uncomfortable with his daughter becoming an adult sexual being; that Dad has no plans to rejoice as his daughter finds love; that Dad would prefer that his daughter never find a romantic partner; that if she does insist on finding a partner, she and the partner should at least be afraid and ashamed. My daughter (who was at the birthday party) commented later that the family seemed to be unclear on how people acquire grandchildren.

To his credit, my husband said one of those noncommittal things that you say when you get an awkward present, and never wore the shirt.
See, this is why we can't have nice things.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If we explore this more deeply from a purely evolutionary perspective, the OP's behaviour could be considered acceptable based on a morality dictated by the natural order of things found in the animal kingdom. Though ethical principles provide us with a sense of structure to conduct ourselves in a societal environment, they are ultimately subjective concepts. What seems horrible to one animal is merely indifference to another animal species.
So in a purely evolutionary perspective, nature determined the daughter (the weaker) to submit to the father's (the alpha) decisions in the same way an elderly alpha wolf is discarded by a younger stronger wolf in the pack. "Only the strong shall rule" or something like that.

A different story if there is an inherent universal morality which apparently most here adhere to knowingly and unknowingly.
You lack understanding of human society as well as wolf society.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I knew it!

Popcorn is the most evil of all foods. I mean, look at the way you get them stuck between your teeth? And it starts off nice, but when you get to the end, it's all the horrible bits. Just like Satan! His temptations seem nice when you start, but by the time you find out that it's really horrible, it's too late!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Popcorn is the most evil of all foods. I mean, look at the way you get them stuck between your teeth? And it starts off nice, but when you get to the end, it's all the horrible bits. Just like Satan! His temptations seem nice when you start, but by the time you find out that it's really horrible, it's too late!!!!!!!!

And flavored popcorn too.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 266325
This is disgusting!

It’s not possible to check a girl’s hymen and be sure that it’s intact. For example, if she’s athletic she’s not going to have one. This explains a lot why older women ( my generation and older) were discouraged from being physically active as children. This inactivity is why so many older women have osteoporosis.

This practice also teaches daughters and women that they are a man’s property and that their only worth depends on apiece of skin that they might not have in the first place.

Some women “ watch “ their daughters periods. Not to keep track of them for health reasons but to harass the daughter over a sex life they
might or might not be getting . It’s the same type of emotionally abusive behavior .
As ever, I stand with the patriarchy.

Patriarchy: Why the heck not?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As ever, I stand with the patriarchy.

Patriarchy: Why the heck not?
I mean, assuming you're male, it would benefit you to support an institution that favors you. But even if you're female, it doesn't mean there isn't some bias involved, particularly in a Stockholm syndrome fashion of defending the abuser as actually having some good intent behind their clearly toxic attitude and conditioning

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I mean, assuming you're male, it would benefit you to support an institution that favors you. But even if you're female, it doesn't mean there isn't some bias involved, particularly in a Stockholm syndrome fashion of defending the abuser as actually having some good intent behind their clearly toxic attitude and conditioning
I am male. Not that you asked.

Still, it seems a beneficial equilibrium is impossible. As a society, we can choose a semi-repressive patriarchy or a semi-oppressive matriarchy.

I am male. So for self-interest alone, why should I support anything other than a patriarchal model?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Still, it seems a beneficial equilibrium is impossible. As a society, we can choose a semi-repressive patriarchy or a semi-oppressive matriarchy.

Or we could build a society where power isn't distributed along gender lines?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Or we could build a society where power isn't distributed along gender lines?
That was the nominal goal of Feminism 1.0. But obviously we're way past that now. Feminism 1.0's goals were achieved decades ago. And yet, the feminists march on.

So, again, it seems we have a binary choice: semi-repressive patriarchy or semi-repressive matriarchy.

Given that I am male, what possible incentive do I have to advocate anything other than a patriarchal model?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That was the nominal goal of Feminism 1.0. But obviously we're way past that now. Feminism 1.0's goals were achieved decades ago.

We certainly haven't achieved basic equality, on lots of measures.

So, again, it seems we have a binary choice: semi-repressive patriarchy or semi-repressive matriarchy.

I'm still not seeing why those are the only options.

Given that I am male, what possible incentive do I have to advocate anything other than a patriarchal model?

As an ethical human being, altruistic concern for others. Or as a Christian, a commitment to the reign of God, which does not endorse the evils of patriarchy.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We certainly haven't achieved basic equality, on lots of measures.
Thank you for proving my point for me. I truly wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

I'm still not seeing why those are the only options.
See above.

As an ethical human being, altruistic concern for others.
I take exception to this because ethics, altruism and other virtues are hardly inextricably linked to modern feminist notions of "equality". In fact, there's a very solid argument to be made that authentic altruism cannot exist in a truly egalitarian paradigm. But I suspect that this is not the thread for that discussion.

Or as a Christian, a commitment to the reign of God, which does not endorse the evils of patriarchy.
If I've discovered nothing else over the last six years, it's that Christianity is compatible with many social and political orders. In fact, the list of ideologies with which Christianity simply cannot coexist is considerably smaller than the list of ideologies with which it can exist. More can be said here but, as above, I suspect this is not the place for that discussion.

Thus, we arrive back at my original dilemma. We are faced with a binary choice: semi-repressive patriarchy or semi-repressive matriarchy.

Given that I am male, what possible incentive could I have to advocate for anything other than a patriarchal model?

Upvote 0