Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
This psalm, given from David to the director of music, is often interpreted as referring to atheists. From the words of David, it would more likely relate to those who kill his people and oppress (or frustrate) the poor. This is obviously not the sort of capital A atheist we might meet at a family reunion or down at the club.

The first words of the verse, "the fool" is translated as the immoral, or the one who is morally deficient. These individuals reject God and go on to perform all sorts of acts such as we might associate with reprobates, and predators. They "devour my people as men eat bread" and "Evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge." Does this sound like any atheist that you know?

David was speaking from the brutal, ancient world that we love to ignore. If rape and annihilation was de rigueur, who amongst us would state that there were any righteous among them? No, not one.

It doesn't take much imagination to see the world that David was bemoaning. It is very different than the one portrayed by your run of the mill bible college. Allow God to speak to you in truth, not in worldly rhetoric.

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Does this sound like any atheist that you know?

Interesting point. I know a lot of rather moral atheists and I wonder if historically that has more to do with humanism, the age of reason and the more investigative bent that came out of latter half of the 18th century; along with the industrial revolution and the age of science.

I'm not sure if "atheism" (at least in the context that we understand it today) actually existed in the ancient world? Lack of knowledge of how the world (medicine, physics, math) operates tends to make people more superstitious.

Also, I would agree with you that it's worth noting that life was just a lot more difficult 150 plus years ago. Unless we are history geeks, not only are we pretty far removed from some of the hardships they faced; we often aren't even aware of them. And this is why I think some people are pretty shocked if they go live / visit a 3rd world country for a while.

So yes, I would agree; (even though I'd still need to take a good look at the psalm). This is not referring to atheism as we understand it today.

The other principle I think holds true here too, is when Jesus talks about one's enemies found under their own roof. Much of the worst persecution has always come from those within the "religious" community against people of genuine faith. Thus the reference to the "immoral". "Gentile nations" (particularly in the days of David) didn't have the same morality standards. Much of what we "take for granted" of simple moral principles comes out of the Christianization of the west that has transpired over the centuries. And yet again; taking note that much of the biggest hypocrisy (when looking at stuff like slavery) comes from justifications from people who "should know better".

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
See, this is what I love about the Bible. There is just so much to chew on, on so many levels!
Gregorikos, that point about it being said in the heart really helps bring us back around to how people of God must still be wary of all the ways we deny God's existence with our thoughts and actions. As you point out, Righterzpen, some of the most atrocious things in history have come from people in the Church who in one way or another deny God.

What really bothers me is how people use this psalm as a wedge to drive between Christians and modern Atheists, who at this point are largely using Christian ethical underpinnings to live their lives. This isn't to say that there is no difference. Obviously we're all much better off with a real connection to God, rather than getting our guidance second hand, but the vilification puts a real barrier in the way of the type of relationships that could help bring people back to the fold. It also makes it difficult for people who have family members that have chosen atheism who struggle with loving people who they think God, through the bible, is telling them are 100% morally devoid and wicked.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
See, this is what I love about the Bible. There is just so much to chew on, on so many levels!
Gregorikos, that point about it being said in the heart really helps bring us back around to how people of God must still be wary of all the ways we deny God's existence with our thoughts and actions. As you point out, Righterzpen, some of the most atrocious things in history have come from people in the Church who in one way or another deny God.

What really bothers me is how people use this psalm as a wedge to drive between Christians and modern Atheists, who at this point are largely using Christian ethical underpinnings to live their lives. This isn't to say that there is no difference. Obviously we're all much better off with a real connection to God, rather than getting our guidance second hand, but the vilification puts a real barrier in the way of the type of relationships that could help bring people back to the fold. It also makes it difficult for people who have family members that have chosen atheism who struggle with loving people who they think God, through the bible, is telling them are 100% morally devoid and wicked.

Good points. It makes me wonder if we don't stumble partly because we don't have many good Biblical examples of people engaging with atheists. Do we? Was atheism a thing back then?

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how far back it goes, but there was some atheistic thinking in antiquity. It wouldn't really have looked much like what we consider modern Atheism. As for engagement, we could sort of look at the general ways in which the righteous were to interact with people of other religions. I'm not an old testament scholar, but it seems there was a practice of living alongside others, but drawing the line at marrying and taking up their ways or beliefs. I'm thinking of Joseph living in Egypt. Obviously not of his choosing, initially, but he certainly didn't shun the company of Egyptians, despite their difference of belief.

Now, for those who were truly doing awful things, the separation (and hostilities ) would have been more stark. These are the people I see psalm 14 talking about, those who reject God and also commit atrocious acts. So in the Bible we do see that a certain judiciousness was allowed as to how differing beliefs were accommodated.

I would love insight from someone with a better picture of life in the ancient world.

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Great post! And welcome to Christian Forums! We need more people like you to participate, so don't hesitate.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the encouragement, Pescador. It can be overwhelming on this forum, as in life, but the work of fellowship is too important to let go. Wrestling with scripture is so necessary.
I appreciate your signature. When the accepted biblical interpretation is more cudgel than good news we must scrutinize ourselves and our ancestors, to see where we may have lost God's love.

Upvote 0