Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Someone might say something that makes me cringe.
"All Muslims are evil and need to be kept out of Australia".
Now, to me that just seems like a dumb sweeping generalisation. I might feel superior to this person because they make statements which seem simplistic to me, and they haven't allowed for research to test such a claim. Have you spoken to every Muslim? How do you know?
And there just seems to be a lot of emotion and very few brain cells used to say it.

But, and here's my point. The danger is for me to feel superior to this person over one comment. If they make further simplistic comments, I really have to watch my own arrogance. Otherwise I will really feel totally superior to them. I may not listen to anything that person says anymore. If I have to spend time with this person at work for instance, I really have to watch my own attitude or prejudice towards them.
Prayer may indeed be useful for treating this person with respect instead of contempt.

Reactions: archer75

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear stuff like that too, and I often have to bite my tongue to keep from going after them. Depending on the circumstance, I may say or ask something in an attempt to make them aware of their "stupidity".

I don't know if it is arrogance, as it could be a feeling that this person does not understand the complexity of the issue. Many people, like a lot of politicians and commentators, try to simplify an issue that cannot be reduced to jingoism.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Someone might say something that makes me cringe.
"All Muslims are evil and need to be kept out of Australia".
Now, to me that just seems like a dumb sweeping generalisation. I might feel superior to this person because they make statements which seem simplistic to me, and they haven't allowed for research to test such a claim. Have you spoken to every Muslim? How do you know?
And there just seems to be a lot of emotion and very few brain cells used to say it.

But, and here's my point. The danger is for me to feel superior to this person over one comment. If they make further simplistic comments, I really have to watch my own arrogance. Otherwise I will really feel totally superior to them. I may not listen to anything that person says anymore. If I have to spend time with this person at work for instance, I really have to watch my own attitude or prejudice towards them.
Prayer may indeed be useful for treating this person with respect instead of contempt.

Pride and all the various manifestations of it are often the hardest faults to deal with.

Especially when people seem to give evidence to support such a way of thinking.

It's a struggle ...

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Pride and all the various manifestations of it are often the hardest faults to deal with.
I think "pride " is the root of all the other sins. or at least it is THE sin. The one that has a domino effect and can see our life spiral away from God instead of closer to Him.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think "pride " is the root of all the other sins. or at least it is THE sin. The one that has a domino effect and can see our life spiral away from God instead of closer to Him.

I think you may be right in that. It seems like every time I try to trace the root, it comes back to that somehow. Or what might be called "selfishness" but I think that's just another face of pride ... putting oneself on the throne of their own heart.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Our parish priest is one of a kind as I've said many times on here.
Yesterday, for the homily, he let two parishioners speak about their recent loss of a child. The funerals had been held just recently. They spoke of their feeling of grief and sadness. I think it had the effect of galvanising our parish community. Those of us who hadn't been to the funeral, heard about the pain of fellow parishioners. Otherwise many of us wouldn't have known.
I wonder if anyone was disappointed not to get a direct homily from the priest about the gospel reading for instance.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Sounds like my parents.
*shrugs*
Nothing can really be done, but I don't normally get any sense of superiority.
Only depression and frustration.

Any kind of political discussion tends just end with me being told "X is common sense" or "It's true though, isn't it; you see it in the news papers/on the news."

Ain't got any advice.
Maybe you could try and get depressed and frustrated instead?
Probably better not to.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our parish priest is one of a kind as I've said many times on here.
Yesterday, for the homily, he let two parishioners speak about their recent loss of a child. The funerals had been held just recently. They spoke of their feeling of grief and sadness. I think it had the effect of galvanising our parish community. Those of us who hadn't been to the funeral, heard about the pain of fellow parishioners. Otherwise many of us wouldn't have known.
I wonder if anyone was disappointed not to get a direct homily from the priest about the gospel reading for instance.

When we were visiting my niece and nephew's school on Father's Day one of the parishioners talked about his experience of losing his wife and kids in a tragic accident. It was a compelling story though it didn't come close to being a homily.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think "safe havens" such as TLT is for Liberal American catholics, can become a place where like-minded people just bore each other to death.
Sorry that is worst case scenario.
Fortunately w e haven't done that yet.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

While in Puerto Vallarta our tour guide told us "What happens in Puerto Vallarta never happened."

And last but not least "What happens on your birthday gets a free pass." ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've had the interesting experience today of having one of my collectors return seven pieces of my art because she's moving into a smaller home. They were done around 1999.

It's nice having them home again.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It seems to me the combination of popular Pope and unpopular President, have galvanised TLT and other liberals. We feel vindicated in our point of view. But I try to keep a check on myself, believe it or not. I don't want to become a "nya nya ,na, nya nya, told you so" kind of Liberal. That is childish.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Aren't Catholics constantly told that all opinions aren't equal? Was this Ever truer?
I'm new to this game, relatively. You would know better than me about the politics of America (of course) and bishop versus Pope scenarios. You know how bad Trump is. I guess it really is a crisis then. An unprecedented crisis.

Upvote 0