• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mis-understood

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I've been reading through some of the posts, I've realized that many of us are so mis-understood by society.
So many times I've gotten so frustrated, for I always seem to be backing into a shell around certain people. I've had to bite my tongue more times than not when people are judgemental and I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to be able to do that afore snapping!
I usually don't see a lot of people on my bad days and so they think that I'm just fine and dandy......so they're just like, "well you seem fine to me" or "you don't act bipolar" or better yet "mental illness is over-rated I think they just wanna label you and get money for treating you for something that don't exist"...............Number one, sure I may seem fine at the moment, for it's more than likely one of my good days or I'm putting a smile on my face just to hide what I'm really feeling on the inside, which is breaking down and crying for reasons I can't explain...........number two, how do they expect us bipolars to act? And if they don't know anything about it to begin with, then how do they know I don't act bipolar?......number three, just because they can handle stress better than me, or they do have a problem and are in denial, doesn't mean the illness doesn't exist.

I don't really expect anyone to understand me, for I don't understand myself most of the time. But I do however, expect for people to respect me as a person and stop judging me just because I'm not like them. If I was like them, then I wouldn't be unique. :doh:

I also get hammered on when my sister in law starts judging people who are being abused and things such as that. She sits and says she don't understand why people just stay there and take it instead of just up and leaving and getting out of the situation. Number one, she's never been in that situation, so the way I see it, she has no right to sit and talk about such people. Number two, meanings she knows SQUAT, she don't realize that some situations ain't as easy to get out of. And, she knows that I was in a VERY abusive relationship. It really tweeks my melon when she gives her opionion on things that's really none of her concern.

Hubby's ex won't even let my step son come over unless his daddy is here. She don't want him to be alone with me. I have given her no reason at all to think that I am not capable of taking care of a child. Just because I'm bipolar don't mean I'm a bad person and it don't mean I don't know what I'm doing. When she first found out I was bipolar, I still don't know who informed her, she asked hubby if he was ever afraid of me.
Although I don't have kids of my own, I have actually raised other people's kids just fine. Sure, she tweeks my melon by the crazy things she says and does to keep conflict goin and yeah, I've dared for her to come to my door at times, but when you try to throw hubby in jail for kidnapping after letting him take him through the holiday, yeah I'm gonna be upset! DUH BIG RED TRUCK!:eek:

Anywho, I figured since a lot of us go through this, this would be a good thread to vent such things.
:hug:'s and :angel::kiss:es!!

lemonflavor

Feb 21, 2006
✟16,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And people like Dr. Phil (TV show in USA) don't help. I don't watch the show but saw the one where he had bipolar people on. If people didn't see it-they pick the worst case scenarios and showed a person with major psychosis (no offense to those who experience this) and a woman with constant rage problems, probably going beyond bipolar.

Not being able to sympathize is one thing. And we can't expect people to know. Just like I can't expect to know what having a baby is like. But we can still bear one another's burdens. But being mean and condescending is so wrong. I haven't really experienced this to this extent yet and would probably be crushed if I did. I have a hard enough time just accepting that people can't understand. I don't know how you deal with it.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And people like Dr. Phil (TV show in USA) don't help. I don't watch the show but saw the one where he had bipolar people on. If people didn't see it-they pick the worst case scenarios and showed a person with major psychosis (no offense to those who experience this) and a woman with constant rage problems, probably going beyond bipolar.

Not being able to sympathize is one thing. And we can't expect people to know. Just like I can't expect to know what having a baby is like. But we can still bear one another's burdens. But being mean and condescending is so wrong. I haven't really experienced this to this extent yet and would probably be crushed if I did. I have a hard enough time just accepting that people can't understand. I don't know how you deal with it.
It's definately not easy having to deal with it. Especially when it's people I have to deal with all the time. I'm not usually one who cares what people think, but when I hear them cutting down, not only me, but people like me, it really gets hard to bite my tongue. It's getting harder all the time. :sigh:

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For awhile I was able to participate in IOOV IN OUr Own Voices. A Program through NAMI that is designed to shre your story of living with a mental illness to help break down such stigmas. It was good, but scary at times as well.
I've never heard of it. :scratch: Is it for the people who have the illness, or people who know people with the illness, or everyone?

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IOOV isfor people livingwith mentall illness to share their story of recovery and life with any audience that is willing. I have done it for emt's, community groups, cops, state hospital workers and church groups to name a few.

The goal is to show the truth about the illness, the challenges, the successes, to give a face to and illness and to help set aside stigmas about those with psychiatric illnesses.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IOOV isfor people livingwith mentall illness to share their story of recovery and life with any audience that is willing. I have done it for emt's, community groups, cops, state hospital workers and church groups to name a few.

The goal is to show the truth about the illness, the challenges, the successes, to give a face to and illness and to help set aside stigmas about those with psychiatric illnesses.
Wow! That sounds awesome! :cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.