KelsayDL

Seeker of the Way
Aug 9, 2003
✟8,104.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My aunt and I talked about this briefly just the other night.

Unfortunately, the only miracles I see on a biblical level, are all at televised gatherings where people pay an entry fee. Rather dubious IMO.

I'm waiting for someone to walk down a street in downtown Portland, lay hands upon a sick, crippled, homeless man in the name of the Lord and have him healed.

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
KelsayDL said:
My aunt and I talked about this briefly just the other night.

Unfortunately, the only miracles I see on a biblical level, are all at televised gatherings where people pay an entry fee. Rather dubious IMO.

I'm waiting for someone to walk down a street in downtown Portland, lay hands upon a sick, crippled, homeless man in the name of the Lord and have him healed.

Are you from Portland, OR?
I'm from Vancouver, WA.

I thought about healings of that magnitude for a little bit and feel that although they aren't the norm they do happen. Any kind of healing can only be done to bring glory to God and if you were to do this in downtown Portland you'd probally get a citation for disturbing the peace.

Anyways, I know miracles of a smaller nature do happen. I've been witness to a few.

I've heard before someone ask a similiar question of why miracles don't happen today. The answer that was given was because during Christ ministry and later with his apostles the church was very fragile and needed those types of things done to show the power of God returned to the earth. Kind of as physical manefistations of the Holy Spirit and the authority delegated to those apostles. Just a guess.

TW

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
twhite982 said:
I was wondering what the general feeling was on miracles in our present day.

The kind of miracles such as healing of the sick, giving sight to the blind, curing disease. Have these things ceased today?

TW

Several years ago a member of our church was in the hospital with lung cancer. One lung had been removed and the cancer was active in the other. At one point the doctors said that she would not live through the night. She had the distinct smell associated with terminally ill cancer patients. I had smelled it once before when a very close family member died. The pastor, his wife, me and my wife and a deacon and his wife, gathered around her and prayed. Shortly after that she got up and walked out of the hospital and lived for another 2 years.

In another church in the same city, one of our church youth, 12 years old, had broken her right forearm the night before, roller skating. Her arm was wrapped but not in a cast due to the swelling. During the worship service she was sitting near the back of the church, aisle side. Suddenly she grabbed her arm and said, "My arm feels funny." The next day, Monday, her parents took her back to the hospital for more Xrays and a cast. The doctor and the xray tech were completely baffled, they held up the two xrays, shaking their heads. The xray from Saturday a definite break in the forearm, bruising, swelling, and pain. The xray from Monday no break, no bruising, no swelling, and no pain.

Is God still God today? Does God still heal and perform miracles, today? Nah, those were just coincidents, scratches on the xray film, the doctors were wrong, etc. those are the arguments I have heard from the skeptics. But the people involved and their families know better.

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
I believe that there are healings and other miracles in our day. I just dont think it takes a tv evangelist to slap your forehead for it to happen. It is the will of God through your faith to be healed that does it. I also would like to point to a couple of miracles that happen every day.

The birth of a child and the conversion and salvation of a sinner. All praise to Jesus.

Upvote 0
twhite982 said:

The kind of miracles such as healing of the sick, giving sight to the blind, curing disease. Have these things ceased today?

TW

I have never seen a miraculous healing occur. I wish I had. I have not even heard of the blind gaining sight or the deaf hearing or the paralysed walking.:sigh:

Upvote 0

twhite982

Aug 19, 2003
✟16,940.00
Faith
Other Religion
Gentle Panther said:
I have never seen a miraculous healing occur. I wish I had. I have not even heard of the blind gaining sight or the deaf hearing or the paralysed walking.:sigh:

As I've heard miracles are only useful to those to help them strengthen the faith that they already have. Its not to convert anyone. The life and times of Jesus was a sobering example.

Faith is a big part and maybe this generation as a whole is lacking. But also as I stated earlier these miracles are done to bring glory to God. Maybe God has decided he might benefit us better by concentrating on other aspects of the gospel.

With the proper perspective I'm sure you'll see your miracle. As ByGrace has said they are happening all around us, even in what we might think of as common or mundane.

Keep those eyes peeled!

TW

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jet Black said:
well it would be nice to see the films and the doctors reports... even though I am a sceptic, I don't make judgements without the evidence.

That's exactly why I didn't say more, because I knew some know-it-all would pop off with some skeptical nonsense. I could care less if you believe me or not. This is not something I heard from a friend of a friend or a second cousin's wife's sister, etc. I was there I saw what I saw.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Der Alter said:
That's exactly why I didn't say more, because I knew some know-it-all would pop off with some skeptical nonsense. I could care less if you believe me or not. This is not something I heard from a friend of a friend or a second cousin's wife's sister, etc. I was there I saw what I saw.

and I am sure you did... however can you blame me for being cynical? I didn't immediately toss your story in the bin, as I might have done if you said you flew to the moon, had tea with the Queen of England and flew back again, I just said that for me to believe that sort of thing, I need a bit of evidence... is that such a crime?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
twhite982 said:
As I've heard miracles are only useful to those to help them strengthen the faith that they already have. Its not to convert anyone. The life and times of Jesus was a sobering example.

Faith is a big part and maybe this generation as a whole is lacking. But also as I stated earlier these miracles are done to bring glory to God. Maybe God has decided he might benefit us better by concentrating on other aspects of the gospel.

With the proper perspective I'm sure you'll see your miracle. As ByGrace has said they are happening all around us, even in what we might think of as common or mundane.

Keep those eyes peeled!

TW

Thank you!!;)

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
twhite982 said:

TW
I believe that there are still healing miracles today. My sister and I took our mother to the emergency room on Monday (9/2). She had experienced a stoke and was paralyzed on the left side and unable to speak coherently when we took her into the emergency room.

Withing 30 minutes of arriving in the emergency room, she had regained her speech and part of the the paralysis was resolving, but not all.

On Tuesday, test were conclusive that there was a blood clot inside the heart that was probably causing the stroke, and it was potentially dangerous for another stroke. So, they began to administer blood thinner to try and dissolve the clot. I told friends not to bother sending flowers to the hospital.

Well, this morning it was 72 hours after taking my mother to the emergency room where she could not walk, talk, or even bare weight on her left side. Yesterday, the doctor talked about starting therapy to regain the use of the left side of her body.

Today, the doctor called after seeing my mother and the doctor told me that therapy would not do any good.

He states that she is 100 percent recovered, and there is no need for therapy, or for that matter, there is not need for her to remain in the hospital.

Isn't God good?

~malaka~

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
twhite982 said:

TW

I firmly believe in miracles. The bible says that even 'age to come' would one of miraculous power (Heb 6:4-5). the Greek word for 'power' mentioned in the verse is 'dunamis' which means miraculous power.

Apostle Paul used such power to preach the gospel (1 Cor 2:4-5, 1 Thess 1:5). In fact, Apostle Paul 'fully proclaimed the gospel' through signs and miracles (Rom 15:18-19).

Also, check out Acts 2:17-18. and make sure to read Mark 16:17-18. I firmly believe that the biblical method of evangelism concerns the gifts of the Spirit as they're listed in Rom 12 and 1 Cor 12. God even desires that his children use the gifts as good stewards (1 Pet 4:10). And in the book of Acts we see ordinary people using these gifts, not just the apostle. So I believe the whole notion about miracles validating apostles is a false presupposition.

And here's a fascinating statement from catholic.com:

Historian Ramsay MacMullen points out that contemporary miracles played a central role in Christian apologetics in the early centuries: "When careful assessment is made of passages in the ancient written evidence that clearly indicate [a] motive . . . leading a person to conversion, they show (so far as I can discover): first, the operation of a desire for blessings . . . second, and much more attested, a fear of physical pain . . . third, and most frequent, credence in miracles" (Christianizing the Roman Empire, 108).

"Christian writers themselves . . . portray the learned and sophisticated as having been won over by sheer force of logic, and the unlearned, by a sort of stupefaction or terror before the greatness of God’s power" (ibid., 109).

While I'm not a pentecostal, I do consider myself charismatic...Charismatic Catholic to be exact, so I try to stay away from the likes of Benny Hinn, Ken Copeland, and other big name televangelists. Anyway, I hope some of this helps :)

-Jason

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.