Miracles in the Bible...when do they become believable?

Miracles in the Bible...when do they become believable?

• After the Pentateuch (first 5 books of the OT)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The OT Prophets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've encountered quite a mixed bag of held beliefs on this subject. Some track from the NT onwards, some from Genesis 1:1 (my view) and there are various views in-between.

So what say you fellow Christian? Do you have some 'cut off' or 'start point' where the Miracles recorded in the Bible are believable or unbelievable to you?

And for purposes of the OP so we are all on the same sheet of paper...

Miracle
A miracle, broadly defined, is any action in time where the normal operation of nature is suspended by the agency of a supernatural action.

Further definitions
An interference with Nature by supernatural power. -- C. S. Lewis

An event in which God temporarily makes an exception to the natural order of things, to show that God is acting. -- Richard Purtill

A miracle is an event which is not producible by the natural causes that are operative at the time and place that the event occurs. -- William Lane Craig
https://www.theopedia.com/miracle

Edit added a quote from @Tree of Life which elaborates on the definition of Miracle:

I would say that a miracle is an extraordinary manifestation of God's Lordship. While what we call the "natural order" is really an ordinary manifestation of God's Lordship.

To say that a miracle suspends or breaks a law of nature or to divide the world into "natural" and "supernatural" risks suggesting that God is not immediately involved in "natural" stuff. This can trend in the direction of deism.

For example, we talk about natural laws like gravity and magnetism as if these are forces that God put in place and then let them spin without his immediate help. But I'm not sure this can be biblically supported. The Bible teaches that it's God who sends rain and snow and causes the sun to rise. We are planted on the earth not because of an impersonal law of gravity, but because we have a loving God who is consistent and who keeps us planted on the ground.

God is immediately involved in everything. But sometimes he peels back the curtain and shows us that he is immediately involved. God was always present with Moses in the wilderness and Moses was always standing on holy ground. But God brought about the miracle of the burning bush to reveal his presence to Moses.

For example, we talk about natural laws like gravity and magnetism as if these are forces that God put in place and then let them spin without his immediate help. But I'm not sure this can be biblically supported. The Bible teaches that it's God who sends rain and snow and causes the sun to rise. We are planted on the earth not because of an impersonal law of gravity, but because we have a loving God who is consistent and who keeps us planted on the ground.

God is immediately involved in everything. But sometimes he peels back the curtain and shows us that he is immediately involved. God was always present with Moses in the wilderness and Moses was always standing on holy ground. But God brought about the miracle of the burning bush to reveal his presence to Moses.
And please let's avoid semantics. I think the above outlines what we are talking about that is Miracles.

The Poll will have some definition which can drive the discussion. If someone wants to recommend adding a response please do and I will consider it.

God Bless you all!

Last edited:

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some of us...it was when one happened directly to us personally. He is rich in grace and mercy, and made a way even for some one might think could never have made it.

----

Maybe that moment for me, was the miracle that He said "even as I have loved you", and then any other miracle began to become believable.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The great signs and wonders miracles that confirmed the apostles' authority expired with the apostles. We have some less spectacular, although miraculous healings through the prayer of faith. But Charismatics discredit the real miracles by claiming today's frauds are on par with the originals.

• Winner
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For some of us...it was when one happened directly to us personally. He is rich in grace and mercy, and made a way even for some one might think could never have made it.

----

Maybe that moment for me, was the miracle that He said "even as I have loved you", and then any other miracle began to become believable.
Ok, where do you stand now?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would quibble with those definitions of miracles, although I appreciate this thread. I'm not trying to be pedantic, but may a suggest a different definition?
Sure and I will add it to the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The great signs and wonders miracles that confirmed the apostles' authority expired with the apostles. We have some less spectacular, although miraculous healings through the prayer of faith. But Charismatics discredit the real miracles by claiming today's frauds are on par with the originals.
A bit off topic. The OP title is "Miracles in the Bible...when do they become believable?"

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sure and I will add it to the OP.

I would say that a miracle is an extraordinary manifestation of God's Lordship. While what we call the "natural order" is really an ordinary manifestation of God's Lordship.

To say that a miracle suspends or breaks a law of nature or to divide the world into "natural" and "supernatural" risks suggesting that God is not immediately involved in "natural" stuff. This can trend in the direction of deism.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trying to attach some measure of believably to a miracle kinda defeats the point and definition of miracles.
Perhaps some elaboration is needed on my part.

There are Christians who believe every recorded supernatural event in the Bible is that from God. There are some who look to something like the parting of the Red Sea, the sun 'standing still', the Plagues of Egypt and other OT recorded supernatural events as legend or come up with naturalistic explanations...But they believe in the miracles of Christ and His Apostles are as they are recorded. Then there are those who even question the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So this thread is to get a 'pulse' of where Christians stand on the demonstrated Power of God recorded in the OT and NT--The Bible.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I will add your quote to the OP. Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Off topic and attacking others

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0