Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

2 Corinthians 9:1,6-12 ESV

“Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints.”
“The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. As it is written,
“‘He has distributed freely, he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever.’
“He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.”

Paul felt it unnecessary for him to write to them about the ministry to the saints, for he knew of their readiness to minister God’s love and grace to their fellow Christians. Yet, he did go on and speak some on this subject. And I believe the subject had more to do with financial contributions to our brothers and sisters in Christ who are in need. But I believe the subject lends itself to a broader category which includes all needs, whether they are financial, physical, spiritual and/or emotional. But this requires much wisdom and discernment of the Spirit of God.

For one, not everyone who says they are in need are really in true need of what they are asking for. Many are con artists who know how to work the system and who know how to manipulate other people into giving to them, and some of them are addicts and users and abusers who are not godly people and who are not telling the truth about their situations. And some of them are in need because they are spending their money unwisely and/or on what is unnecessary and/or on what is sinful. And so what they may really need is some good counsel and some biblical discipline.

So, should we be generous people? Absolutely! But we need to be wise in our generosity, too, and we should pray and ask the Lord to guide us with regard to giving to the needs of others. Especially since this is talking about giving to the needs of the saints, it is talking about giving to God’s holy people who are walking in obedience to the Lord, and who are living godly and holy lives, and who are not living in deliberate and habitual sin against God and against their fellow humans.

And this isn’t all about just giving financially to other Christian’s true needs, either. This is about ministering to them in many ways, which I believe I already mentioned. And this could be about giving them food and clothing instead of money, or it could be about giving them a hug (use wisdom here) or a kind or thoughtful word of encouragement. It could be we minister to our fellow Christians in song or in writing or in sharing with them a testimony or a Scripture or some godly counsel and wisdom. But we should be engaged in ministering to one another’s legitimate needs, as led by God.

[Rom 12:1-8; Rom 15:14; 1 Co 12:1-31; Eph 4:1-16; Eph 5:17-27; Php 2:1-8; Col 3:16; Heb 3:13; Heb 10:23-25]

Caution: This link may contain ads

My Sheep

An Original Work / June 24, 2012
Based off John 10:1-18 NIV

My sheep hear me. They know me.
They listen to my voice and obey.
I call them and lead them.
They know my voice, so they follow me.
They will never follow strangers.
They will run away from them.
The voice of a stranger they know not;
They do not follow him.

So, I tell you the truth that
I am the gate, so you enter in.
Whoever does enter
Will find forgiveness and will be saved.
Nonetheless whoever enters
Not by the gate; other way,
He is the thief and a robber.
Listen not, the sheep to him.

Oh, I am the Good Shepherd,
Who laid his own life down for the sheep.
I know them. They know me.
They will live with me eternally.
The thief only comes to steal and
Kill and to destroy the church.
I have come to give you life that
You may have it to the full…

They know my voice, so they follow me.