✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I'm wondering what your christian friends, or your church does to reach people during the covid situation? Especially where any organized meeting is prohibited. I'm curious to see if anyone found ways to connect or had great ideas.

We assemble together for worship, preaching, and sacrament. Where the government forbids this, we ought to civilly disobey.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Churches in my Diocese have followed their own path based upon good science, not government. We do submit to governmental authority, but have at times been even more restrictive than required in order to be good stewards of the community's health. We had no online worship before. Now you can worship with us online, outside in warmer months, or inside during colder months - both distanced and masked.

We have found ways to increase programming during the pandemic. There are more services offered each week, more study groups, and more fellowship groups now than ever before, although many of them are virtual. I can be more involved with my church than ever before.

Some outreach has been adapted. For example, we do a large Thanksgiving dinner for homeless, marginalized, and folks living in our community shelters. This year we still did it, but we assembled dinners and delivered them to folks in their homes, shelters, or where they are. We also started a service of grocery shopping and delivery for those who are ill, at high risk, or just afraid to go out.

The Church is alive and well and will not be stopped by a virus.

Upvote 0

Leveche5

Aug 31, 2020
Budapest area
✟15,747.00
Country
Hungary
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Churches in my Diocese have followed their own path based upon good science, not government. We do submit to governmental authority, but have at times been even more restrictive than required in order to be good stewards of the community's health. We had no online worship before. Now you can worship with us online, outside in warmer months, or inside during colder months - both distanced and masked.

We have found ways to increase programming during the pandemic. There are more services offered each week, more study groups, and more fellowship groups now than ever before, although many of them are virtual. I can be more involved with my church than ever before.

That's actually great. We find getting people involved online is hard, as in, people follow our webcasts but just don't appear on virtual meetings we set up so we can meet afterwards. Some may be older and never took a liking to these platforms, some may not have the hardware, but most of them I feel is just not interested...

Some outreach has been adapted. For example, we do a large Thanksgiving dinner for homeless, marginalized, and folks living in our community shelters. This year we still did it, but we assembled dinners and delivered them to folks in their homes, shelters, or where they are. We also started a service of grocery shopping and delivery for those who are ill, at high risk, or just afraid to go out.

The Church is alive and well and will not be stopped by a virus.

The Church is indeed alive and it's great to see that you find the way to keep working for your community.

Keep the ideas coming, people.

• Informative
Reactions: ronlion
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I'm wondering what your christian friends, or your church does to reach people during the covid situation? Especially where any organized meeting is prohibited. I'm curious to see if anyone found ways to connect or had great ideas.

It is quite strange normally we would have maybe upto a hundred people attending a morning service under half that an evening service and a handful a midweek meeting.
Yet our morning service sent out on utube regularly has two hundre plus viewers from many different parts of the world, not just the UK.

So our evangelism as we cannot meet is on line.

Upvote 0

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Hi Leveche5, and all my brothers and sisters around the world!
My church has always streamed its services online at the same time as in-the-building, so it was relatively easy to be just online when the church had to be closed. In fact, our senior pastor and his wife made themselves available online every morning, to pray for people, which I know a lot people found really reassuring.
On a personal level, I wrote a Gospel play for women in prison some years back, and had the privilege of performing it for women here and abroad. And now that I'm shielding (staying at home with my mother, who is elderly), I'm turning the play into very short, very simple YouTube word-videos, to hopefully reach people online! The first video is about the woman caught in adultery (John 8:2-11) and if anyone wants to watch it (
), I'd value your feedback!
Several of my non-Christian neighbours and friends have watched it and responded very positively, but none have given their lives to Christ yet. I'm hoping that seeds have been sown in their hearts which will bear fruit in God's perfect timing.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a handout dinner for anybody twice a week even during this unfortunate time. As far as personal evangelism I don’t see any opportunities. I don’t want to pick up hitch hikers any more and I don’t see any. At the dinner people just want their food. I know they need encouragement but with social distancing and masks it’s hard. There is only time for a God bless you but that has gotten old. I’m supposed to reach out... but how? Any ideas?

• Informative
Upvote 0

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe ask those coming for the handout dinner if they have any prayer needs, as they're given their meal? As you say, most will just want their food, but perhaps one or two might want (Covid-safe) prayer, which might lead on to their wanting a relationship with Jesus for themselves...?

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Lg2000. @True Counterphobia's right: you're the salt of the earth right there in your neighbourhood and wherever you go. And you're the light of the world, too, during these dark times. So even if it's just an encouraging, Spirit-filled text to a neighbour or work colleague who doesn't yet know Christ, that might make all the difference in the world - and more importantly, in eternity!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Leveche5, and all my brothers and sisters around the world!
My church has always streamed its services online at the same time as in-the-building, so it was relatively easy to be just online when the church had to be closed. In fact, our senior pastor and his wife made themselves available online every morning, to pray for people, which I know a lot people found really reassuring.
On a personal level, I wrote a Gospel play for women in prison some years back, and had the privilege of performing it for women here and abroad. And now that I'm shielding (staying at home with my mother, who is elderly), I'm turning the play into very short, very simple YouTube word-videos, to hopefully reach people online! The first video is about the woman caught in adultery (John 8:2-11) and if anyone wants to watch it (
), I'd value your feedback!
Several of my non-Christian neighbours and friends have watched it and responded very positively, but none have given their lives to Christ yet. I'm hoping that seeds have been sown in their hearts which will bear fruit in God's perfect timing.
I thought it was very good ThisIsLove: just about the right length, Biblical and neatly presented. I also like the fact that you concentrated on the love of God and that it kept to the Biblical account and didn't start preaching at people about what they should and shouldn't do. (I used the word "at" deliberately - I hate heavy-handed evangelism and love messages which engage people and help them to think.) I was wondering whether it would be worth ending on a scripture, such as John 3 v 16, but maybe it is better as it is. It's sown a seed of thought leaving it open for them to take the next step.

I'm glad that your non-Christian contacts enjoyed it. I agree about God's perfect timing. I continue to witness to my neighbours, and feel a bit frustrated when they don't respond to the gospel, although they like me praying for them, but we can't force it. The seeds are being sown. Mark 6 v 26-29 is very encouraging. :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks very much, @rebornfree. Yes, adding John 3:16 at the end will be good. I watched a brilliant lecture on digital evangelism last week in which we were told always to put a "call to action" at the end of videos, so I'll include John 3:16 and some kind of call to action at the end of Scene 2, which, by God's grace, I'll begin next week!

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟332,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We meet in person, but follow the social distancing guidelines and people wear masks. Most people watch our Livestream Broadcast. Small groups can meet in person or online, whatever the group is comfortable with. For evangelizing, I still pass out tracts, etc.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks very much, @rebornfree. Yes, adding John 3:16 at the end will be good. I watched a brilliant lecture on digital evangelism last week in which we were told always to put a "call to action" at the end of videos, so I'll include John 3:16 and some kind of call to action at the end of Scene 2, which, by God's grace, I'll begin next week!
You're very welcome ThisIsLoveUK. I hope you find the right "call to action" to end the video. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope everyone's bearing up in this continuing trial. :wave: Thank goodness His strength is made perfect in our weakness. :prayer:
I'm still looking for ways to share my Gospel videos to many more people (all tips gratefully received!), and have just found some evangelism tips/resources that you may find interesting/useful:

ARTICLE: "Being Salt and Light in Isolation" 17 March 2020
Being Salt and Light in Isolation - News - 10ofThose.com

LINKS: "Useful resources | Evangelism in lockdown" 27 March 2020
https://www.ceministries.org/Articles/57110/Blog/Evangelism_in_lockdown_how_to.aspx

ANIMATION: "What is Christianity? | New Animation" 12 February 2021
https://www.ceministries.org/Articles/602305
/Blog/What_is_Christianity_New_Animation.aspx

Hope some of these are helpful. Ok - on with my search! :)

Reactions: Inhocsigno
Upvote 0

Inhocsigno

Dec 20, 2007
✟26,763.00
Faith
Lutheran
We meet in person, but follow the social distancing guidelines and people wear masks. Most people watch our Livestream Broadcast. Small groups can meet in person or online, whatever the group is comfortable with. For evangelizing, I still pass out tracts, etc.
This is also how we've been doing it for most part, though with increasing shift online for logistics anyway with ministers spread internationally. We'd been making moves to try more in-person meetings recently, but put that on hold when members in a couple of our groups got dangerously sick with COVID despite getting the vaccine, apparently some of the new strains are resistant or the immunity just falls off after a few weeks, no one's really sure yet. One of our Web broadcast and simulcast gurus with experience in assisting the digital church services helped get us set up with livestreams, and both Zoom and Tiktok wound up being a great help to disseminate tracts and record little vignettes to coordinate our efforts. It can be helpful to have little small-group orientation sessions first, starting with simple things like broadcasting sermons and Bible study, so that members can get a better feel for how to interact productively in the larger online meetings.

Reactions: David Hunter
Upvote 0

ThisIsLoveUK

Dec 15, 2020
London
✟8,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is also how we've been doing it for most part, though with increasing shift online for logistics anyway with ministers spread internationally. We'd been making moves to try more in-person meetings recently, but put that on hold when members in a couple of our groups got dangerously sick with COVID despite getting the vaccine, apparently some of the new strains are resistant or the immunity just falls off after a few weeks, no one's really sure yet. One of our Web broadcast and simulcast gurus with experience in assisting the digital church services helped get us set up with livestreams, and both Zoom and Tiktok wound up being a great help to disseminate tracts and record little vignettes to coordinate our efforts. It can be helpful to have little small-group orientation sessions first, starting with simple things like broadcasting sermons and Bible study, so that members can get a better feel for how to interact productively in the larger online meetings.

This is great @Inhocsigno. Thanks!

• Friendly
Reactions: Inhocsigno
Upvote 0

mike_inc

Church Of Christ
Mar 15, 2021
Johnsonville
✟10,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

At the Church Of Christ, we continue to propagate our faith in places where gatherings are still prohibited or limited. We do so by means of worship services and bible studies on Webex! It's been quite effective, with new faces showing up daily to hear the Good News, and get any questions they have answered straight from the Bible. If ever you are interested in joining a bible study or just curious, let me know ;)

Upvote 0