Harrisburg
✟7,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I am new to this forum. I am currently looking for some advice from fellow ministers. Sorry for the length of this post i just have to give a lot of background info to give the big picture of the situation I am in.

Some back story first.

I come from a Pentecostal/Assemblies of God background I went through a program called Masters Commission for two years, was a youth pastor for 2 years afterwards, and went to Bible College to gain a 4 year degree. I got married a little over a year ago.

After my wife and I were married her and I were asked to become the children's pastor's at our local church we are attending. It is a non denominational church but is Pentecostal with beliefs identical to Assemblies of God. I have never done children's ministry before other than helping at events here or there. My wife had done children's ministry alongside her mother while growing up. After some time of prayer we felt we were supposed to take the position. I was nervous but knew this would be a great opportunity for her and I to grow together and learn how we function in ministry together. In January it will officially be a year since we have started. Alongside doing children's ministry I also fill in for the pastor when needed.

We have been at this church well over a year and coming up on a year of being on staff. We are not paid for this position other than a monthly housing allowance so her and I work full time as well. She just recently finished her masters and has applied for a great opportunity in our local community.

However after a year in it's become evident to me, that I have hardly any desire to do children's ministry. We find when we talk about visions and dreams for the future, children's ministry never comes up. My passion falls more towards evangelism and discipleship and teaching, hers falls into similar categories. Knowing this we decided to keep serving but to be in a lot of prayer about our future.

This past week has been extremely difficult on the both of us. Because we have both felt like we are consistently playing second fiddle to the youth pastor. I want to also add, that both the youth pastor and senior pastor have less experience than I do. I share that not out of pride more to give clarity to something I am struggling with. Last night we did our annual trunk or treat outreach. This outreach serves children, adults, and teens. Soon after the event last night to our church facebook page our pastor made the announcement that he and the youth pastor would like to thank everyone who came out to support. I'm not one who cares a lot for getting recognition, however it stung pretty deep that I was not included with him and the youth pastor. It made me realize that I am not considered on their level.

This stung deep and it brought up a repeat of a conversation between my wife and I about our future with the church. I struggle because I do not feel i fit with the culture of the church a lot. This is a struggle I have had since we have gotten here. However, due to my wife's great work opportunity we can't just leave, and feel like we need to stay in the area. I want to be in ministry and to teach and disciple and I, to be honest, want to leave children's ministry behind. Just there are no spirit filled pentecostal churches in our area it makes it tough. I don't know, we are both feeling very frustrated and confused right now and any advice from fellow ministers or from a senior pastor's perspective would be greatly welcome.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I were asked to become the children's pastor's at our local church
we are consistently playing second fiddle to the youth pastor.
What is going on at your church you are a childrens pastor and there is also a youth pastor. How many children/youths attend your church?

Basic advice check your contract/letter appointing you. Does it say what the chain of command is.
Talk to the minister and see if this can be resolved.
I suspect that the youth pastor is paid and because you are unpaid he will out rank you.
It shouldn't be like that but it often is.

Talk to the minister, is there a role for you as an evangelist?
Options:-
Leave, you are already working full time so up your hours and find somewhere else to live, continue attending church but as a member of the congragation untill you and your wife can move elsewhere.
or
continue as you are, but spend more time in evangelism. You are just a helper to the youth pastor so help him while also carving out a role for yourself.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I am only a pastor of a very small home church but have done much Jail, Prison and nursing home ministry and evangelism.
Friend I don't know what to tell you but at least let me mention the nursing homes in your area. They are ripe for the harvest and so so overlooked.
Activity directors often beg ministers to come preach because no one wants too and these residents are often abandoned and neglected. NO it doesn't pay monetarily but the benefits are out of this world :]

I say this because you can get your feet wet preaching which you probably need at this point and the best training is on your knees and behind the pulpit.
You will be surprised at how often you will receive invites from other pastors to bring a message to their church as they come to visit their aging congregation and this maybe your open door.

Many of these precious people have not accepted Christ yet and are at death's door. Please consider this golden opportunity and I know you will not be dissapointed :] Blessings

Upvote 0