"Minimal" requirements to be a Christian?

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
look not everyone agree in the invented word 'backslide' and i am one of them. so please do not hijack my post to assert your political incorrectness and state like its a general term. you have to ask the question first.

what i believe in is christian growth. there may be ups and downs, but the christian never slides back or never loses his/her moral compass - it still points up, nor does he become the new creation, then back to the old creation, then back to the new. there may be moments of weakness but then he/she moves forward. which means the desire is always there, it is part of the new creation.
Well thanks for giving your opinion.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What?? Who said that? All I said was baptized babies are saved by God's grace. I said nothing about unbaptized babies. I hope they will go to heaven too.
It's easy to misunderstand what someone is saying, isn't it.
If they aren't I'm sure God could provide His grace another way unknown to the church if it's His will they be saved.
It's God's will/desire that all are saved. I have no doubt that all babies will be saved.
Do you think they need to know that? Is God unable to save someone who doesn't understand they are sinning against God?
Yes, I do. We all have sinned in ignorance at sometime.
What about people who are not sinners? Do you think they can be saved?
Who has not sinned would be my question.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Muslim beliefs about Jesus:

- Jesus is second most important messenger of God, next only to Muhammed who is the "seal of the prophets".
- Jesus is virgin-born son of Mary.
- Jesus is the Messiah.
- Jesus was never crucified, but instead was taken directly into heaven.
- Jesus will return in the end times, along with the Madih, to fight the Antichrist, Jesus will die and be resurrected along with the rest of the righteous on the Day of Judgment.

Those are all Muslim beliefs about Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran
Yep.
What does Messiah mean to them?

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It's easy to misunderstand what someone is saying, isn't it.

It's God's will/desire that all are saved. I have no doubt that all babies will be saved.

That's understandable and why I have hope they may be saved.

Yes, I do. We all have sinned in ignorance at sometime.

Who has not sinned would be my question.

What sins can babies commit? What about those who died in the womb? What sins could they have committed?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's understandable and why I have hope they may be saved.

What sins can babies commit? What about those who died in the womb? What sins could they have committed?
I guess that depends upon what one believes about the original sin of Adam. That is why the Catholic Church baptists babies. Babies cannot repent of sin and baptism comes after receiving the Lord and repentance.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I guess that depends upon what one believes about the original sin of Adam. That is why the Catholic Church baptists babies. Babies cannot repent of sin and baptism comes after receiving the Lord and repentance.

Even if babies are guilty of Adam's sin, that still doesn't make them sinners since they never committed any sins.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even if babies are guilty of Adam's sin, that still doesn't make them sinners since they never committed any sins.
I tend to agree with you but many don't.
Charles Spurgeon, who was a Calvinist, so it made his statement that more profound because they believe in OSAS from birth.
"I don't serve a God like Molech." He was referring to the Israelites sacrificing their children in the fires of Molech. I don't serve that kind of God either.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Asking about the bare minimum seems to be a bad start but at least it is a start. I had a friend who it seems was going to wait til he was on his death bed and do what he wants up until then, that's a pretty bare minimum and I have a feeling with that attitude, it may not work quit like that, as his heart may be so hardened by then he may not be able to do it. But who knows, maybe it will work but I'm not going to take that chance myself. I'm guilty to a point, I waited till a few years ago to start getting serious. No, I wasn't a terrible person but I was still Hell bound and expected to end up there if I suddenly bough Farm.

More to topic, I'd say taking care of the poor and just generally helping others is a solid requirement, and if it hasn't already been posted, here is why:

Matthew 25:31-46King James Version (KJV)
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
More to topic, I'd say taking care of the poor and just generally helping others is a solid requirement, and if it hasn't already been posted, here is why:
Amein and thankgiving be to Yhwh in heaven forever !

Like the 'famous' sermon on the mount - "blessed are ....." covers many things,
and it is not just one thing
that identifies the blessed, but ALL of them, all the "blessed are...."
as to what they are blessed for (being (monetarily poor, voluntarily!) , persecuted already in the past and today and the future of THIS life, rejected by family by church by unions and by society, treated like lepers (yes, everywhere on earth true followers of Jesus are treated like lepers and like drunks and like worse ! ) ... )

So a lot of 'bad' stuff accompanies being a true christian in this perverse world
as well as the 'good' stuff (blessing of Yhwh generously from His Throne of Grace in time of need, DAILY) .

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2016
Nigeria
✟7,662.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 14:6
"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Knowing oneself to believe in Christ and the Gospel is all that is required to be a Christian. Christianity should not be reduced to a cult or closed group of some sort, where new members have to undergo ritualistic procedures as a precondition for admittance. It is always a matter of personal conviction, of wholeheartedly surrendering oneself to the truth stated in John 14:6, which is the basis for Christianity itself.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The bare minimum for being a Christian is found in 1Cor15:1-4. After this read Romans10:9-10.
From these two you will reading the plan of salvation. When you understand this you are a Christian.
A little bit more than "reading" and "understanding" is required. The most militant atheist does not have to fear that just by reading he might become saved - though hopefully will be, will take steps, DO what is required.

"eternalspring7" has it about right.

Upvote 0

Aijalon

Sayin' it like it is
Jun 4, 2012
✟17,356.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The first, and most primitive of requirements is to understand you need saving (fear of wrath)

The second step is to understand you cannot save yourself, and need the help of a Savior.

The journey to finding that Savior could look quite different for many people, but Jesus said he IS the way, so I don't limit him from bringing into his fold whoever he wants. He says his sheep know his voice, therefore, no sheep that is his can deny what it is, for a sheep is either lost, or found, but it was always a sheep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Repentance, Baptism, and accepting Christ as Lord (as defined in the Nicene Creed)

One more important thing that's difficult to use as a checklist item is to take practical action to nurture that faith which should:
  • Motivate desire for repentance
  • Reflect on the significance of baptism
  • Commit and recommit to following Christ in practice
Wouldn't that last part give power to other than Jesus? Making for a creedal belief not a faith of Christ?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yep.
What does Messiah mean to them?

It means that Jesus was the Messiah prophesied from ancient times by the prophets. Muslims do not embrace Christian ideas about the Messiah, such as that Jesus as the Messiah is the Savior of the world and the redeemer of mankind.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
May 30, 2007
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know this is a good question all I can think of right now is that Jesus said and this is eternal life that they may know me....as you know the word "know" implies a relationship which only comes through accepting the perfect sacrifice for your sins Jesus this gives you forgiveness of sins and bridges the gap between you and god creating closeness sin seperates but Jesus dealt with every one of our sins at the cross that's all I need to know. I believed and got baptized for remission of sins I backslid and am now delivered and set free from all my bondages it's true the lord loves us I love talking about it so much I try not to get to legalistic and just remember if I screw things up I am under grace peace out all may grace and peace be with you in the name of the lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
look not everyone agree in the invented word 'backslide' and i am one of them. so please do not hijack my post to assert your political incorrectness and state like its a general term. you have to ask the question first.

what i believe in is christian growth. there may be ups and downs, but the christian never slides back or never loses his/her moral compass - it still points up, nor does he become the new creation, then back to the old creation, then back to the new. there may be moments of weakness but then he/she moves forward. which means the desire is always there, it is part of the new creation.
It is a well known and used Christian term, based on scripture.

Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any among you may go astray from the truth, and any one may turn him back,
Jas 5:20 let him know that he who did turn back a sinner from the straying of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.

Psa_26:1 By David. Judge me, O Yehovah, for I in mine integrity have walked, And in Yehovah I have trusted, I slide not.
Psa_37:31 The law of his God is his heart, His steps do not slide.

Isa 42:2 He doth not cry, nor lift up, Nor cause his voice to be heard, in the street.
Isa 42:3 A bruised reed he breaketh not, And dim flax he quencheth not, To truth he bringeth forth judgment.

Upvote 0