"Minimal" requirements to be a Christian?

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I read your verses....but never saw the word "Christian" in the verses or anywhere in the context. :scratch:

So are you saying a 'Christian' is one who is "forgiven" or is it one who is "saved" or one who is "working out their salvation with fear and trembling"? Or is it one who is "justified" or "justified" and being "sanctified"? Is a Christian someone who has "Christ in you" or do the "you in Christ" scriptures trump? Is it fulfilling the "of the faith" scriptures or is it the "in the faith" scriptures? Is it the scriptures which say you are saved by the "faith OF Jesus" (only 'correctly' found in KJV) or is it the verses which say we're saved by "faith IN Jesus"?

The name "Christian" never existed in the church for 43 years, and then it was reportedly a name given by unbelievers to 'the church' at Antioch. Isn't it funny that we have all these differing posts from 'bible scholars' who can't agree on what a bunch of unbelievers were in agreement about?
The Scriptures that I posted say what they say. To me they are the plan of salvation. All that you asked builds onto that. A lot of good questions. Yes! As I understand the moniker "Christian" as "coined" in Antioch, it means we who believe that Jesus is the Christ. It gives us a warm and fuzzy feeling when we are referred to by that moniker. Thank you Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The name "Christian" never existed in the church for 43 years, and then it was reportedly a name given by unbelievers to 'the church' at Antioch. Isn't it funny that we have all these differing posts from 'bible scholars' who can't agree on what a bunch of unbelievers were in agreement about?
Basically I think the unbelievers were scoffing
at those who were immersed in Yeshua's Name
and thought they were all idiots(literally) and simpletons because they would
no longer participate in the "good boy" garbage/politics/business/religion as usual that
the ungodly routinely did every day
and that they also (the ones immersed in Yeshua's Name)
had once taken part in fully (sinning with all the others ) until
they had been purchased by Yeshua's Blood.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point was that saying this: "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples...."

doesn't resolve anything since we all know that Jesus' words have been interpreted in many different ways. But I'd agree in principle with your observation.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If Christian means disciple of Jesus, then I think this is the minimum:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32
Remember also
what did Jesus tell those with Him, the minimum Jesus said,
if they wanted to be His disciple ?

And during His training and teaching His disciples, already with Him for a time,
MOST of His disciples LEFT Him ......
saying "this is TOO HARD for us" ....

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My point was that saying this: "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples...."

doesn't resolve anything since we all know that Jesus' words have been interpreted in many different ways. But I'd agree in principle with your observation.
The answer which sums up the last 3 posts starting with; "To me they are", "Basically I think", "I believe it means". From there they go three different directions. Nothing really wrong with any of those answers....but. Oh well.:help:

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

But Isaiah 55:11 says God's word "shall" do all which God pleases. So, it doesn't matter if certain people make it look like people aren't getting anywhere with God's word. We can trust God to do with us all He knows He means by His word, and this is more and better than what some number of humans are promoting or denying > He does better :idea: Proverbs 3:5-6

About the minimum for getting into Heaven > I consider Romans 8:29 with 1 John 4:17 < this is what God Himself does.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Perhaps the interpreting is the problem and people should understand what Jesus says without making own interpretations that seems to be just opposite for remaining in his words.

Reactions: tucker58
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But Isaiah 55:11 says God's word "shall" do all which God pleases. So, it doesn't matter if certain people make it look like people aren't getting anywhere with God's word. We can trust God to do with us all He knows He means by His word, and this is more and better than what some number of humans are promoting or denying > He does better :idea: Proverbs 3:5-6
As said before, I (and everyone?) can agree in principle on that, but since we all know that there are sincere, practicing, Christians who belong to any of thousands of different denominations that are divided on the understanding of something or other relating to his "word," to simply say "we can trust God to show us the way" isn't really much of an answer.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the interpreting is the problem and people should understand what Jesus says without making own interpretations that seems to be just opposite for remaining in his words.
Don't you think that most of the people who hold different understandings of the words Jesus spoke here or there do so to the best of their ability and sincerely think that theirs is the correct interpretation? I mean...take the Lord's Supper, for instance. Among the leading Christian denominations (so, we're not talking about some weird interpretation held by an individual here or there) there are at least a half-dozen different understandings that are derived from the same passage, and each of them points to the wording and says "See there?!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
to simply say "we can trust God to show us the way" isn't really much of an answer.
t is better than deciding that it is useless to trust God to show us the way :) And Proverbs 3:5-6 clearly tells us to trust God to show us the way. And Jesus says He is the way, in John 14:6.

So, for whom is this not much of an answer????

Why let failing people and groups decide how you see things?

And, Albion :) I have known people of different groups who all have gotten the same understanding which is more mature and real than that of their denominations. They stay in them in order to share with and reach others, and because they have become attached to members or the pastors . . . though they can see through how the pastors are mistaken. Because God does make us able to do this > 1 John 2:27.

Also, you can have pastors in groups, where they have outgrown the groups but stay there in order to reach people, plus in order to feed the ones who really are growing in Jesus.

God is able; Jesus says it is possible with God > actually, Jesus is the answer; He is succeeding with His sheep > John 10:1-30.

God is not distant from His children, but does personally and effectively communicate with us, plus this includes how He personally corrects anyone who is His child > Hebrews 12:4-11. And, of course, none of us is perfect, even so. But the Bible is clear that it is not vain and it is not a poor answer, to trust God to guide us and enlighten us. The fact that humans and their groups have failed is evidence that we do need how God Himself shares with us and has us become able to get things right > in His love >

"And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment." (Philippines 1:9)

In God's love we have His own light to make us clear about things :idea:

But there are people who are only conforming to what their group may do and say, and they are not deeply how God perfects us in His love > 1 John 4:17, 1 Peter 3:4. And there are ones who are only or mainly intellectual and/or immature so they do not have the character to perceive and receive all God shares with us > Hebrews 5:14.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
t is better than deciding that it is useless to trust God to show us the way .
Of course, and so is it better than all sorts of other unattractive possibilities. But saying this doesn't explain how what one Christian thinks is the word of God and what the next one thinks is the word of God--both being determined to follow it--can answer the question.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But part of the minimum of being a child of God is that we trust God to show us the way. So, it answers the question partly. Christianity includes how our Father personally corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-11 < this correction includes correcting us to know and go the right way. So, this doesn't answer the question fully, but it can help, can't it?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What do you believe are the minimal requirements for one to be considered a Christian and to recieve the Divine benefits that are promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?

It seems to me that one has to publicly declare Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior, they have to confess their sins, and they have to be baptized in the name of Lord Jesus to even start to be considered a Christian and receive the Divine benefits. But are there other things that absolutely have to be done for one to be considered a Christian and to receive the Divine benefits promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?

To me if one has publicly declared Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior, has confessed their sins to Lord Jesus and asked for forgiveness, and has been baptized, then they are a Christian. From there I am not sure where things go. It seems to me that as long as you do not sin against the Holy Spirit and that you are not bullheadedly willful about your sins that everything can eventually be worked out so that one can/will recieve the Divine benefits that are promised to those who declare Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior.

What do you believe about what minimally needs to be done to be considered a Christian and to recieve the benefits that are promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?
"

As a Christian, I have a firm belief in the saving eficacy of Christ's atonement on the cross, and His resurrection. These are the means of our salvation.

However, that does not necessarily mean that, in order to be saved, one must utter the word "Christ".

I believe there is a scriptural answer as to the minimum necessary for a person to come to salvation:

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

But, as I say, the possibility of salvation depends on the sacrifice of Jesus, giving His life.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What do you believe are the minimal requirements for one to be considered a Christian and to recieve the Divine benefits that are promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?

It seems to me that one has to publicly declare Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior, they have to confess their sins, and they have to be baptized in the name of Lord Jesus to even start to be considered a Christian and receive the Divine benefits. But are there other things that absolutely have to be done for one to be considered a Christian and to receive the Divine benefits promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?

To me if one has publicly declared Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior, has confessed their sins to Lord Jesus and asked for forgiveness, and has been baptized, then they are a Christian. From there I am not sure where things go. It seems to me that as long as you do not sin against the Holy Spirit and that you are not bullheadedly willful about your sins that everything can eventually be worked out so that one can/will recieve the Divine benefits that are promised to those who declare Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior.

What do you believe about what minimally needs to be done to be considered a Christian and to recieve the benefits that are promised to those that call Lord Jesus their Lord and Savior?
Faith and the responsibility that comes with it was the original gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But part of the minimum of being a child of God is that we trust God to show us the way. So, it answers the question partly. Christianity includes how our Father personally corrects us > Hebrews 12:4-11 < this correction includes correcting us to know and go the right way. So, this doesn't answer the question fully, but it can help, can't it?
What I think you're saying is another way of describing what I said many posts ago. That is that this concept is correct, but only in principle. That doesn't mean it's of trivial importance. On the contrary, it's basic! But it doesn't exactly answer the question as a non-believer might put it (and often does on these forums).

He asks, "What is the minimum of belief that would qualify one to be considered a Christian?"

He's really asking for specifics ("Believe in God? Believe in Jesus? Believe that Jesus is God? Believe that he is one's personal Savior in addition to just believing that there is a God? What?").

Upvote 0

NewbieinChrist

Don't magnify your problems; magnify God Almighty.
Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

I believe one must believe in their heart that Jesus died on the Cross to save sinners, believe also that God raised Him from the dead 3 days later, and finally confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord is what it takes to be saved. Minimal requirements to be a Christian would be to obey James 1:22,"But be doers of the Word (obey the message),and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves (into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth)."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think the idea of a "bare minimum" is somewhat troubling in itself. I don't know that Christianity can be reduced to a bare minimalist set of things or thing.

The bare minimum could be said to believe that Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ; one can't be a Christian (after all) if they don't believe Jesus is, indeed, the Christ, i.e. the Messiah.

That of course isn't necessarily sufficient, as there are other religions which believe this too, most notably Islam accepts the claim that Jesus is the Messiah. And Christianity has never stopped merely at that one statement, because there are certain fundamental ramifications of such a bold claim and surrounding, compounding issues: namely that if Jesus died, but did not rise, well then He's not the Messiah. We can only confess that Jesus is the Messiah because He stopped being dead, He rose from the dead, and among everything else this means it also means that Jesus' messianic claims are vindicated. If Jesus remained dead, and still is dead, well then He's not the Messiah because a dead messiah is no messiah at all.

Of course as we continue to work through all these things we realize that at some point a "bare minimum" almost becomes impossible--we see this work itself out in history itself; as Christians put their faith in Christ into words it required doing so in meaningful ways--and that often resulted in the various heresiological controversies of the early centuries, which culminated in the ancient ecumenical councils and the historic creeds of the first thousand years of Christianity.

Is the bare minimum Nicea? Nicea and Constantinople? Well how do we address the Nestorian controversy? The Eutychian controversy? The Monothelite controversy? The Iconoclast controversy? Etc.

We end up getting, rather than a "bare minimum", a rather robust, historic tradition of a living, ongoing faith of the Christian community. That itself gives us more problems, however, as sometimes that community has resulted in schisms. We can see that for example in the 5th century between Diaphysite (Chalcedonian) and Miaphysite (non-Chalcedonian) churches; the Miaphysites became what we call the Oriental Orthodox today, and the Diaphysite became what we call the undivided catholic and orthodox Church--until there were further problems, such as the 9th century Photian Schism which was kind of healed until the 11th century and the Great Schism took place, and then the Great Schism was effectively finalized by the events which transpired in the [Western instigated] Council of Florence in the 15th century--effectively ending any chance of reunification between East and West. This means that we now speak of Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox. Not long afterward, in the West, the Lutheran reformers were speaking out about certain abuses, and also calling into question certain teachings which resulted in a papal condemnation of Luther and the Lutherans, with the Lutherans then largely accusing Rome of acting as antichrist, and so we get another schism there, and of course then there is the significant differences of views between the Calvinists and the Lutherans, and also with the Swiss Reformed (Zwinglians), and the uniquely British schism with the formation of an independent Church of England. And the eventual explosion of Protestant, quasi-Protestant, and neo-Protestant sects of the next few centuries.

Which then gets us to a point where we want to ask, "What is the bare minimum?"

And that really is a hard question. We can make certain decision for the sake of functioning together in a medium such as here on Christian Forums, the Christians-only sections require subscription to the Nicene Creed (with or without Filioque) and a Trinitarian belief--that is helpful as a kind of bare minimum so that Christians from across traditions and denominations can come together to discuss other topics. That works here for the intended purpose, so in that case a "bare minimum" may just mean for what purpose.

Because if the ultimate purpose of a bare minimum is "what do I need to do and/or believe in order to be a Christian (from God's POV) and to be saved" which is effectively what is being asked in the POV then you're going to ultimately get very different answers from different Christians.

As a Lutheran I'd say that you don't do anything yourself really, God does it for you, objectively by the death and resurrection of Christ, and that God unites you to this objective reality by granting faith to you through the Means He has established: Word and Sacrament; that by the hearing of the Gospel, in the waters of baptism, etc God works faith in you and through this faith you have been saved and are in fact being saved. It is these gifts from God which make all the difference.

That isn't the sort of answer you'll get from others, you may not get that same answer from anyone who isn't Lutheran.

On some level one is going to have to make some sort of commitment to a confession and conviction, that may change over time, because one may be convinced of a different perspective; but fundamentally it boils down to that conviction and confession--and it may be right or wrong ultimately, we don't know, we're making our stand on faith not certainty. And, ultimately, then, simply trusting in God to be merciful to us sinners.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The OP raises an important question mined with obstacles. Posters have cited Romans 10:9-10, but have ignored the fact that these verses omit reference to salvation by grace through faith in Christ's atoning death on the cross. Paul is not a systematic theologian, and his statements often presume suppressed premises that must be identified through comparison with his other explanations elsewhere. Salvation presumably involves more than finding the right house of worship to get your ticket punched to a heavenly Disney World, regardless of your way of being. Surely it minimally involves not just what you are saved from, but what you are saved to--i.e. transformation, a new way of being. Can we then claim that the minimal requirement is the inner regenerating work of the Holy Spirit? If so, how can we tell who has and has not been the beneficiary of this inner transformation? What exactly is the minimal cognitive clarity about Christian doctrine and practice needed for salvation?

Consider these 3 problematic cases:
(1) Many Christians are mentally limited and incapable of clearly expressing concepts like substitutionary atonement, the meaning of baptismal dying and rising with Christ, grace-based living versus works-based righteousness, duty-based service vs. grace-based service motivated by gratitude for God's grace. And what about the salvation of mentally ill Christians and older Christians with the onset of dementia?

(2) "To those who by patiently doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, He will give eternal life...glory honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek (Romans 2:7, 10)."
Jews and pagans are envisaged here, not Christians, and their salvation depends on "doing good," not on saving faith in Christ. What does Paul's doctrine of salvation through general revelation imply about the essential role of doctrinal accuracy?

(3) If you've monitored the "Non-Christian Religion" section of this site, you know that Mormons are making the case that they believe in salvation by grace through repentance and faith in Christ's atoning death on the cross. They believe they are saved for service, but believe that their salvation is not based on merit. Yet they also believe in what evangelicals regard as a false prophet (Joseph Smith) and a false book of revelation (The Book of Mormon), and so, most of the evangelicals debating them reject Mormon claims to be true Christians. My question is, why can't we rejoice in the possibility that they meet the minimal conditions for qualifying as true Christians?

Upvote 0