Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
http://au.news.yahoo.com/060506/2/yuws.html

"Tuesday May 9, 05:41 AM

Beaconsfield miners free at last

Trapped Tasmanian miners Brant Webb and Todd Russell have been released, mine management has announced.

"Both Brant and Todd are out of the tunnel and well," mine manager Matthew Gill said.

Australian Workers Union national secretary Bill Shorten said the men would be above ground soon.
"Today we've had unbelievable news. After 14 nights at 4.47am, Brant Webb and 4.54am Todd Russell, were freed."
"This is an amazing day, the rescuers have done a fantastic job. The families have been fantastic. And clearly these two men have been outstanding Australians. It's a great day," Mr Shorten said.
A bell at Beaconsfield's Uniting Church pealed in celebration just after 5am (AEST).
It was the first time the bell had been rung since the end of World War II, 61 years ago.
Residents of the town are making their way to the mine site.
Mine management spokesman Michael Lester said the pair was being assessed by paramedics at the end of the rescue tunnel.
"They are being medically assessed as we speak," Mr Lester said.
"Both of them have been reported to be in very good health considering where they are."
Mr Lester said the paramedics "wanted to make sure they are OK before they move them".
Mr Lester said the men would probably bypass the large crib room 700m underground where it was earlier thought they would be medically assessed, and head straight for the mine lift.
"They have to drive up to the 375m level, basically the bottom of the shaft."
Mine management earlier said the drive would take 30-45 minutes.
Mr Lester said the men would be on the surface at around 6am AEST.
Mr Russell and Mr Webb had been trapped almost one kilometre underground at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine since a rockfall triggered by an earth tremor on April 25.
They were found alive on April 30 and rescuers have been slowly and painstakingly tunnelling towards them ever since.
Last night marked their 14th night trapped in a work cage.
Their workmate Larry Knight was killed in the rockfall.
His funeral will be held in Launceston this afternoon.
Jubilant local resident and councillor Smokey Walters said two of Beaconsfield's boys were about to come home.
"I'm feeling elated. Why shouldn't I be?
"Two of our boys are coming home.
Mr Walters jokingly said he would have a word with the mine manager over sirens that wailed from the site announcing the rescue had been a success.
"They woke me up," he said.
Older residents Hank and Sue Timmers said they had acted as pseudo-grandparents to one of the rescuers from Queensland, Donovan Lightfoot.
"It's a fantastic feeling, especially when you are so involved," Mr Timmers said.
"It's just amazing.
Mr Timmers was unsure whether Mr Lightfoot was among the team that freed Mr Russell and Mr Webb.
Tasmania's Deputy Premier Bryan Green said the men had been assessed at a category three health level.
Category four is normal health.
"With respect to their physical health, I don't think too long at all (before they are back to normal) but I think they'll have to work through a number of emotions as a result of their rescue," he said"

These miners have been trapped underground for the last two weeks. Their mate was killed in the initial rock fall and it has been a real miracle that they have survived at all, let alone for two weeks.

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
http://seven.com.au/news/topstories/169262

"Miner farewelled at packed service
Date: 09/05/06

The first thoughts of miners Todd Russell and Brant Webb when they were found alive was the fate of their fallen workmate Larry Knight, whose funeral was held on Tuesday...."

With the funeral of the miner that did not get out alive just about brings an end to a very sad time for his family.

This whole experience has really brought the town together and I doubt if there is a person in Australia who has not been caught up with what has happened.

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
catlover said:
Thank-you for the follow up, Cliff.

My pleasure to help out.

It has just been fantastic the way things turned out for two of them. The bonding by the towns folk has been apparent to all. Just watching the news on the TV it is easy to see just how thankfull they are.

Upvote 0