Is Minecraft Evil or Spiritual Dangerous? Can Christians Play Minecraft?

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen, I am in my mid 40's and the tech world these days has taken over. Without proper leading and guidance our children are suffering. I am not even claiming that the game within itself is the problem, in fact I know its not. But in seeking to bring healing and deliverance to the family, I was searching all means to find the root of the problem. May we as parents return our children back to the Lord and teach them HIS ways. God Bless you......
When I was little, my mom told me never to point, but if I was to point after reading all of this, perhaps I would point to generational traveling down her side(boy friend as proof). Demonic? You betcha. Hope this helps you. And for clarity, I love my sweets and my fast food(dollar menu at Wendys) but I am also led to pick up the salad when needed, and it is needed a lot.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how many replies are from older people. Like in their 40s. Because every generation see things that the new generation does as evil. When Elvis came out he was called evil by the older crowd. Him and his satan moving hips. Rock was considered evil too. Likewise older people who don't understand Minecraft call it evil. Hmm... there we do... Those who don't understand something assume its evil!

I never understood the fascination with the game minecrat. the graphics are so appealing its looks like an very old 80's reto game
Well yeah thats its point. To look retro. Though with everything out for it now you can make everything modernish (though the blocks remain the same blocky square).

Upvote 0

daleksteve

Jun 6, 2015
✟16,732.00
Faith
Salvation Army
I wonder how many replies are from older people. Like in their 40s. Because every generation see things that the new generation does as evil. When Elvis came out he was called evil by the older crowd. Him and his satan moving hips. Rock was considered evil too. Likewise older people who don't understand Minecraft call it evil. Hmm... there we do... Those who don't understand something assume its evil!

It saddens me when a boy obvioulsy needs help but dose not get it cause of stupid adults putting problems down to demons hiding in a computer game.

Minecraft is harmless fun if you can stand the rubbish graphics. kids these days get access to far more disturbing games like Grand theft Auto and Hitman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bantry

Mar 8, 2017
America
✟7,838.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
While of course you probably know more about the exact situation, I know that Minecraft is one of the safest, if not the safest main-stream game. While hours on end is obviously not good for someone, limited play time isn't exactly a bad thing. The main concern I'd have is the multiplayer experience, which can lead to a lot of bad things. Luckily there are Christian servers out there which help create a safe environment. Some may consider the potion and nether aspect of the game a bit demonic, but it's not serious at all. As long as there is a division between Minecraft and reality, and the environment is safe, there shouldn't be any real problems.

Best of luck,
Bantry

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was little, my mom told me never to point, but if I was to point after reading all of this, perhaps I would point to generational traveling down her side(boy friend as proof). Demonic? You betcha. Hope this helps you. And for clarity, I love my sweets and my fast food(dollar menu at Wendys) but I am also led to pick up the salad when needed, and it is needed a lot.
hahahahaha leave it to you to make me laugh and GOOD LORD i need it......thank you so much and yep you might have nailed it my friend !!!

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It saddens me when a boy obvioulsy needs help but dose not get it cause of stupid adults putting problems down to demons hiding in a computer game.

Minecraft is harmless fun if you can stand the rubbish graphics. kids these days get access to far more disturbing games like Grand theft Auto and Hitman.
Ummm sweetheart I think you are a little bit rude here and thats not called for, ok? I the OP asked for their opinions and thoughts, and that is what they gave me. And I appreciate what everyone here has said. Good or bad, I am thankful. But it's not ok to call ANYBODY stupid adults. Read everything posted in the thread from beginning to end and then maybe you will understand. But please do not talk that way about other people, and I thank you.

Upvote 0

UpandDown

Oct 29, 2016
USA
✟15,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am asking this question in regards to a lady whose son loves this game. He has posters on his wall in his bedroom of this game. I have no clue at all if this game has evil intentions or good, it's hard to know these days. I tried looking it up on the internet and got various answers. Some are saying it's inviting evil spirits into their home and others seem to not be bothered by the game. So I am looking for "advice" as to anyone out there that may know for sure if this game can open doors to evil or not? Again, this is not my child and I am seeking answers for his mom. She has been dealing with terrible things happening in her home for 9 yrs and is trying to get to the root of the problem. Her daughter is suicidal and does self harm. The mother is deeply depressed and sometimes suicidal. The teenage boy is suicidal and the father sleeps in seperate bedroom from the wife and has for 9 years and the marriage is failing. Everyone there is always fearful and they only experience "some" relief when they are outside of the home. There is alot more detail to this story but I am trying to keep it brief. So any info about this game would help me, thank you.

The game itself is not "EVIL" but the issue comes when a child spends so much time consumed with a game, and is not property parented, spiritually fed, and cared for. Good or Not, a child should appropriate amounts of time set for TV, games, just as they should for Candy, and Junk food. The WOLFE you feed the most is the one that gets stronger.

Upvote 0

Ben3721

Jan 3, 2017
Maryland USA
✟15,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many don't see the potential of this game. It's crazy popular. We have to reach out to our youth somehow and spread our faith to them. So I figured why not do so through their gaming? That's why Christian servers exist. I'm trying to bring attention to this thread from the other big Christian MC servers out there so their voices may be heard.
My players started making some crosses right outside a build world minispawn, and players just keep adding to it. Its now a field of crosses.
Crosses.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Crosses.png

I manage a ton of prayer requests which are broadcasted in chat for all to see. Many pray for them and its a wonderful thing to be a part of. This game can be made to be anything you want it to be, and it can be viewed in many ways. It's just a matter of how critical you want to see it and how you want to make use of its potential.

Also this game has no true guide, it is very complicated and is constantly challenging the mind. Its not a mindless violent game like most games are these days.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many don't see the potential of this game. It's crazy popular. We have to reach out to our youth somehow and spread our faith to them. So I figured why not do so through their gaming? That's why Christian servers exist. I'm trying to bring attention to this thread from the other big Christian MC servers out there so their voices may be heard.
My players started making some crosses right outside a build world minispawn, and players just keep adding to it. Its now a field of crosses.
Crosses.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Crosses.png

I manage a ton of prayer requests which are broadcasted in chat for all to see. Many pray for them and its a wonderful thing to be a part of. This game can be made to be anything you want it to be, and it can be viewed in many ways. It's just a matter of how critical you want to see it and how you want to make use of its potential.

Also this game has no true guide, it is very complicated and is constantly challenging the mind. Its not a mindless violent game like most games are these days.
Thank you so much for spreading the gospel, God Bless you !

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok I am 53 and I play Minecraft. There Are different ways to play. In creative, survival & hard core I believe is the last one. Also there are levels that are peaceful, easy, hard. I only play in creative on easy. That means no enderman ( which are demonic black creatures if you look into there eyes they come after you with an eerie sound that sounds accusatory as if it's saying " you did it" very creepy. There is also enchanting objects and a book of enchantments. A good world and a bad world. The wither is a three headed beast. When I played in survival mode out of peaceful it is very disturbing to my spirit. That being said, if you only have it in creative and peaceful it is pigs, cows, chickens, sheep and building villages, making equipment to mine for ore to turn into iron, gardening and such. Very enjoyable. I will tell you that when we were first learning, and was playing the other option, strange things were happening, and I felt a unction in my spirit to not allow that part in my home.
My honest experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shard

The Echelon
Oct 19, 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
✟18,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't believe this is even a question. On a scale of 1-10 for possibly satanic video games I think Minecraft is sitting at a solid 1. I mean there are games with far darker imagery and storylines that I still find totally suitable. I mean this is just the description from a game called Path of Exile which I would let any kid over 13 play: Wraeclast: the land of the d****d. This forsaken continent is home to many writhing horrors, murderous beasts, and ravenous undead. The very soil is permeated with dark, ancient power, the earth shivering with malice. The dead are refused peace, rising up and hopelessly wandering in eternal pain, sorrow and hunger. The wildlife is twisted and misshapen, unnaturally aggressive and savage. Lurking in the darkest of corners, unspeakable horrors lie in wait for unsuspecting prey, eager to rip apart the mind as well as the flesh. Wraeclast is a place where few remain alive, and fewer remain sane.

People have to remember all these games consist of is a collection of 1's and 0's.

Upvote 0

Ben3721

Jan 3, 2017
Maryland USA
✟15,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's definitely a game that can be played in many ways. It can be in peaceful survival mode where you can just build, farm and play. Or play in normal mode and allow mobs (aka monsters) to spawn at night that you can fight for fun. I mean I can't understand how some can view that as terrible, especially when comparing it to most games. So do the same people easily offended by a children's game also not watch TV or movies or play other games in fear of "offensive" material? Like every movie, game or book has a "bad guy" of some sort or some form of fantasy that might include magic. Like someone said, Harry Potter or how about bringing up a harmless little girls show that has magic. My little pony. Since it has magic does that mean it's a satanic show? Like are people really offended by that kind of stuff to the point they attempt to shelter their family from the real world? I understand some limits but I think some go a bit too far.

Here's what I think is really going on with parents who have a problem with this game. Parents see their kid playing a ton of a game and take a vague glance at it and assume way too much way to fast in a negative manor. I'm going to try to get one mother to post here. She plays minecraft with her severely mentally unstable/ill kid and it helps him relax and provides bonding between them.

Also to the extreme post about how the game brought a demonic presence into their home. I've played this game for over 4 years in a total over 5000 hours including dev work for managing the server and no demons have kicked my door down yet. I'm sorry if it comes off rude but don't blame a child friendly video game for crazy behavior issues or demonic presences. That's just too far fetched to be believable to the most of us and I honestly can't even take those accusations seriously. I wonder if it's a troll post, if not then your obviously not focasing on what really impacts child behavior. Sorry that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davidthebookworm

Mar 8, 2017
107 s cherokee bartlesville ok.
✟15,221.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am asking this question in regards to a lady whose son loves this game. He has posters on his wall in his bedroom of this game. I have no clue at all if this game has evil intentions or good, it's hard to know these days. I tried looking it up on the internet and got various answers. Some are saying it's inviting evil spirits into their home and others seem to not be bothered by the game. So I am looking for "advice" as to anyone out there that may know for sure if this game can open doors to evil or not? Again, this is not my child and I am seeking answers for his mom. She has been dealing with terrible things happening in her home for 9 yrs and is trying to get to the root of the problem. Her daughter is suicidal and does self harm. The mother is deeply depressed and sometimes suicidal. The teenage boy is suicidal and the father sleeps in seperate bedroom from the wife and has for 9 years and the marriage is failing. Everyone there is always fearful and they only experience "some" relief when they are outside of the home. There is alot more detail to this story but I am trying to keep it brief. So any info about this game would help me, thank you.

I am positive the game is not evil. It started 6 years ago and back when the game was in developement I had a hand in helping with its programming (specifically version 2.4.5 through version 2.7.6 with the game becoming popular in 2011 when ver. 2.4.7 was released) Notch (the creator) wanted to make a game that had a beautiful landscape, and elements of adventure. The main reason of the games very existence is to give players a world where they can freely craft and build structures of thier own design. (We described it as virtual leggos) the story aspect, while containing things like dragons, zombies, and skeletons, does not in any way (or was ever meant to) promote or condone witchcraft or other evil acts. The basic story goes like this: collect supplies to gain access to the nether world. There are things there needed to help mining. Specifically hot things. (thus the theme of fire similar to a blacksmiths furnace for melting metal and ore. Its symbology wasn't meant to represent hell. It was there to represent the hero going into the forge and coming out sharper and stronger.) The player then uses those new items to power yourself up to go to the ender (end of the game. Thus the wordplay in it's name) defeat the 'boss' and thats the end of the game. It was added to the game to allow for the players to do something more in game when they get bored building. Now given your friends problem, it seems to have been going on for a while now. (Longer than the game has been out. It went international in late 2012 and early 2013.) May I suggest the cause could possibly be intrusive thoughts and detrimental thought processes causing the family's very own personalities to corode their love? These thoughts can be brought on by any number of things. And when my family had something similar happen we got help from the church and our extended family.

Upvote 0

looploop

Nov 1, 2016
US
✟17,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read every single post in this thread, so I apologize if I say something that has already been said, but...

Minecraft is rated as a children's game (although it's fun for adults as well!) There are far worse things to be concerned about. As I know this part must have been said already, let me post a bit of advice:

#1 - If you are concerned about the Netherworld resembling hell, but don't want to take away the game completely, simply tell the child he's not allowed to go into the Netherworld.

#2 - Play the game yourself for a few hours. But don't go looking for reasons not to play it. If you focus too hard, you will come up with things that are wrong and over-analyze it. Instead, play the game with the intention of enjoying it. If you still see something that makes you uncomfortable, then that is when you can look into it more and decide rather or not it is something you would want a child to be viewing.

#3 - Please look more into the real issue of the woman's suicidal thoughts and depression. A healthy and well person should not be driven into negative thinking over a game. Even a game like Grand Theft Auto should not cause depression, and certainly not Minecraft. This is very serious and you should seek help for your friend. Getting her to talk to a therapist, praying often, and lending her support and showing her you care should be your top priorities. I guarantee you that taking away a game like Minecraft is not enough to make things much better.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Solomons porch,

The game to me sounds like a take off of sim city but with extra elements of creepiness and horror with this portal mods add ons and enchantments etc.

But the concern isnt that its that you said the boy claimed he was possessed and the family suicidal?!

Have they come to you for help or how do you know them? Why have you got pictures of the boys bedroom posters. What are you actually trying to do?

If its to pinpoint occult doorways then you need to go further than pick on one video game. you need to get to the root underlying causes.

The video game for now is a side issue. If theres a spirit of death over this family you need to break the curse with the blood of Jesus. Well not you personally cos someone like an elder or minister trained in deliverance and anointed to do this and has delegated authority to can. Otherwise be aware that if you not careful seven worse demons can come in their space.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seems like the mother...if shes not with their dad, is she inviting evil in by any sort of adultery.

With fornication, children born of fornication do not inherit the blessings that legitimate children inherit.

I says this because the curse the bastard is a real curse. The suicide funeral i attended, he was the firstborn son but i do suspect he was born out of wedlock and thus unwanted. They have a spirit of rejection from birth.

These days its like the norm. Many children are born to parents out of fornication, lust, not a true Godly union. Therefore they are more prone to go the way of flesh not spirit. When people come to know Jesus he can wipe that curse away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Newbienow

Dec 19, 2016
Ireland
✟9,542.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Newbienow

Dec 19, 2016
Ireland
✟9,542.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Newbienow

Dec 19, 2016
Ireland
✟9,542.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I dont have much time now but i can speak with you again about this. This game is 100% demonic, our whole family has suffered so much words cannot describe. My childrens friends who play this game also have same problems. Please get your friend to get rid of all minecraft immediately. Again i can give you more information shortly just have to go now but urgently wanted to let ye know.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That video game is neither good nor evil. It has as much significance as one places on it. The issues in that family are not video game based. I hate to say it, but you are guilty of looking for a correlation and then claiming it to be the cause here. If anything, the son may be using the game as a temporary escape from his horrible home life. I wouldn't blame him if he were, because it all sounds like a nightmare. It's not the game.

Upvote 0