Is Minecraft Evil or Spiritual Dangerous? Can Christians Play Minecraft?

Ben3721

Jan 3, 2017
Maryland USA
✟15,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My server, Christian City has prayer requests, Christian chat forums for our members and we even accommodate to members with special needs. We have kids with their parents join all the time. In the end people just want to enjoy playing this fantasy sandbox game with like minded members in a community. Once in awhile we will have someone with extreme views drop by and try to point out things they are offended by. We had someone last year try to explain to me that Christmas represents satan through consumerism and that we shouldn't gives gifts out. That's when I realized we can't just conform to extreme views and should just try to conform to the general beliefs of Christianity without ruining the game experience. Like really do people think Mojang is a bunch of satanists that sat down one day and made a game designed to poison the minds of our youth? (Sarcasm) No, they just wanted to make a fun sandbox game with adventure. I feel like this thread is the equivalent to a thread "Does GTA make people murderers?"

Upvote 0

ColdSummer

Jul 19, 2014
✟12,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh when I read some of the replies here... It's evil because it has skeletons and zombies in it? Or because it rhymes with "witchcraft"? That's just ridiculous, and it's the reason why so many people make fun of us Christians.

For example sometimes I play Counter Strike, which is another videogame where the purpose is to shoot all enemy players or plant/defuse a bomb at some area. Following this logic, is Counter Strike less or more evil than Minecraft? I mean, it doesn't have 'witchcraft-y' elements like teleporting, right?

The truth is, that at the end of the day, whether it's Minecraft, Counter Strike or Solitaire, it's all just bunch of pixels. You're not inviting any evil spirits into your house, you're not worshipping any idols, you're just playing a videogame.

Could someone explain to me what's the difference between playing any videogame and reading some detective story book in regards to faith? Because as far as I know, it doesn't matter whether you watch TV, read a book or play a videogame as long as you don't spend too much time on it. The problem obviously is when kid spends all their time sitting on a computer, regardless of whether s/he chats on Facebook or plays videogames. But I'm not in a position to give anyone a parenting advice.

All in all, there's no such thing as 'evil videogame'. Waste of time - perhaps. Evil - definitely not.

Upvote 0

RadioBunny

Dec 6, 2013
✟15,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am asking this question in regards to a lady whose son loves this game. He has posters on his wall in his bedroom of this game. I have no clue at all if this game has evil intentions or good, it's hard to know these days. I tried looking it up on the internet and got various answers. Some are saying it's inviting evil spirits into their home and others seem to not be bothered by the game. So I am looking for "advice" as to anyone out there that may know for sure if this game can open doors to evil or not? Again, this is not my child and I am seeking answers for his mom. She has been dealing with terrible things happening in her home for 9 yrs and is trying to get to the root of the problem. Her daughter is suicidal and does self harm. The mother is deeply depressed and sometimes suicidal. The teenage boy is suicidal and the father sleeps in seperate bedroom from the wife and has for 9 years and the marriage is failing. Everyone there is always fearful and they only experience "some" relief when they are outside of the home. There is alot more detail to this story but I am trying to keep it brief. So any info about this game would help me, thank you.

Is Minecraft evil? No. What is the root of the problem? Sounds like EVERYTHING ELSE. Look, other than the fact that kids generally like games, the kid probably likes the game because it's an escape from the environment you just described. Honestly, for now, I would let the kid play it, rather than take that escape away. I think it's way more important that we pray for this family, and the real problems it's facing right now, like suicide and depression.

Minecraft has zombies and skeletons in it. That's not exactly fortifying. And is a very addicting game and a bit nonsensical. My nephews play it all the time and I worry about them.

Very addicting and a bit nonsensical. Any game ever. That's what fun is.

When you separate the 2 words mine and craft it for some reason, cant explain why, that it suggests the "mind" to become "crafty" if that makes sense, i dont know?? And possibly not in a good and fruitful kind of way, your thoughts?

Even if the game was called "Mindcrafty" it still sounds like a fun challenging game I might wanna get for my kids. Who doesn't wanna be crafty with their mind?

Minecraft..witchcraft?

Dun dun DUN.

Sounds like, waste of time to me..

, said people about any game ever invented.

I didn't read past the 1st page, but I made my point.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes indeed it IS evil. But it is only a spit in the ocean when it comes to evil. The following are just a few examples of evil that MOST engage in ALL the time.

1. Playing the lottery. (For it is seeking "ill-gotten" gain that one does not earn).

2. Worshiping children, movie stars, singers, musicians, monarchies, TV personalities, sport's stars, etc, etc, and etc!

3. Cosmetics gone wild.

4. Body piercings.

5. Obsessions with shoes, clothes, cars, boats, etc, etc and etc!

6. Tattoos.

7. Careers.

8. Echelons

9. Idol worship in myriads of ways.

10. Blasphemy such as "oh my GOD!", or just "GOD!" spoken in every day colloquialisms; without ANY semblance of reverence and love for Jesus.

And on and on and on.

This is why God destroyed so many; such as the Antediluvian s, the Jerichoite's, the Amalekite's, the Sodom and Gomorrahite's, the Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Grecian and Roman empires; along with the Ottoman, Nazi and Japanese empires. For ALL had followed "evil" of pleasure and self aggrandizement of every known lasciviousness, debauchery and decadence.

And Jesus is going to do it again. It IS coming. It is NOT a matter of "IF". ONLY a matter of "WHEN"! Mark me words.

Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be (again).

Every Christian should read often, the entire chapter 24 in Mathew. Jesus spells it out clearly.

Wake Up world!

In any case, may Jesus bless you always.
Thank you and blessings in Jesus name to you as well !!

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's an old saying, "The greatest lie the Devil ever told was to convince the world that he isn't real."

I agree.

However, I also fully believe that the second greatest lie he ever told was to convince Christians that he's everywhere.

Becoming so busy with looking for the evil in everything is as much of a distraction from what we actually SHOULD be doing as any video game.
:amen: that is so true to a degree
I was only needing advice and insight into the game, and I am not saying I believe "anything", just asking about it since I do not know. Thanks to everybody for sharing their thoughts and opinions. God bless yall !!

Upvote 0

GuitarMia05

Your Friendly Tattooed Pastor/Worship Leader
Apr 17, 2004
Missouri
✟17,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With Everything, there is always Pro's and Con's.... Including Minecraft,

Pros: It does inspire creativity (Much like building with legos...but with out the HORRID pain of stepping one them), I have even seen Special Education groups/Education classes use it to help communicate with children. For me personally, if I am super stressed out, if I sit down for a few minutes and play it does calm my nerves. There is no "Violence" per say.. .(as there is no gore, blood, or any indication of graphic violent behavior). The Characters (good or bad) simply light up red (or will be "on fire" when the sun comes up), and eventually fall to the ground into a cloud of smoke/dust. You do craft a sword and bow and arrow (only "weapons"), that is about it for the "violence"

Cons: In the game there are bad guys like: Ghast (Ghost like characters), Witches, Skeletons, Zombies, and a few other hard to describe "bad guys". They will try to attach you, but like I said... there is no Blood or Gore, just you making an "ouch" sound and lighting up red. You can in the game brew potions using brewing stands, enchanted books, and enchantment tables. So there is an element of "magic" in the game. You also can go into lands such as "the Nether" which is a lava pit with ALL bad guys...and a few other places but they really don't resemble anything. Some parents can find it concerning that they do have trace elements of magic, but other than that... There isn't too much more that can be too questionable.

For us personally, We do let our children play the game (They are 7 and almost 6), but we sit down with them and explain to them how the game is not real, and if we feel that it's becoming too much we turn it off. It really just depends on how much you want to protect your kids from those elements.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am asking this question in regards to a lady whose son loves this game. He has posters on his wall in his bedroom of this game. I have no clue at all if this game has evil intentions or good, it's hard to know these days. I tried looking it up on the internet and got various answers. Some are saying it's inviting evil spirits into their home and others seem to not be bothered by the game. So I am looking for "advice" as to anyone out there that may know for sure if this game can open doors to evil or not? Again, this is not my child and I am seeking answers for his mom. She has been dealing with terrible things happening in her home for 9 yrs and is trying to get to the root of the problem. Her daughter is suicidal and does self harm. The mother is deeply depressed and sometimes suicidal. The teenage boy is suicidal and the father sleeps in seperate bedroom from the wife and has for 9 years and the marriage is failing. Everyone there is always fearful and they only experience "some" relief when they are outside of the home. There is alot more detail to this story but I am trying to keep it brief. So any info about this game would help me, thank you.

My concerns aren't about the game but what is being done to help the family that's suffering with mental issues?
Do they have prayer partners? Christian mentors? Marriage counselling etc?
Are they in some type of treatment program: cognitive therapy, counselling?under doctor's care etc?

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My concerns aren't about the game but what is being done to help the family that's suffering with mental issues?
Are they in some type of treatment program: cognitive therapy, counselling?under doctor's care etc?

Exactly this.

To focus on Minecraft in this situation is like watching a house burning down and wondering if the flowers in the front yard need to be watered.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Show us one good, functional, healthy thing that has come from children spending thousands of hours playing games on consoles that neither feed, nor serve, teach life lessons nor nurture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes and thank you these things are being addressed right now. Your prayers are welcomed. God bless !!

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know anything about the game. After reading your post I would say this family needs our prayers, amen.
You are so right and PLEASE do pray for them. We are working with them right now for deliverance and healing. Thank you so much and God Bless you !!

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show us one good, functional, healthy thing that has come from children spending thousands of hours playing games on consoles that neither feed, nor serve, teach life lessons nor nurture.
Amen, I am in my mid 40's and the tech world these days has taken over. Without proper leading and guidance our children are suffering. I am not even claiming that the game within itself is the problem, in fact I know its not. But in seeking to bring healing and deliverance to the family, I was searching all means to find the root of the problem. May we as parents return our children back to the Lord and teach them HIS ways. God Bless you......

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly this.

To focus on Minecraft in this situation is like watching a house burning down and wondering if the flowers in the front yard need to be watered.
PLEASE know this, I have said it many times. I am not at all saying "this" is the source. I was just asking about the game. I actually know whats going on in the home. But making sure to not be ignorant of "anything", I was asking about the game just in general. Needing to know what others thought about it. Be assured I am not watching the house burn and being concerned about the flowers. Thank you and God Bless !! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

daleksteve

Jun 6, 2015
✟16,732.00
Faith
Salvation Army

Hi,

Minecraft is just a video game. Nothing to with any evil spirits. The boy is very unwell. I have some understanding of mental health issues, i have gone through it myself at times in adulthood.

Is there anything bothering the boy. Perhaps issues with school, could be anything. Mine was caused by a particular phobia and peoples lack of understanding made me feel lower and sometimes suicidal because you feel nobody understands and the whole world is against you. what i needed was sometimes just for people to listen and understand about how i felt.

The boy sounds like he is hurting inside and that's not good. I will pray for him in my prayers that god will fill him with peace and comfort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2017
NC
✟17,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd say that any game can become a problem if some becomes addicted to it. Inherently, I don't think it is a problem though. That's my opinion. I don't have a problem with Lord of the Rings - or Chronicles of Narnia. I don't see them as inherently bad. However, if someone becomes obsessed with them, it can become bad. It's the same concept with Minecraft.

That said, once we have kids, I plan to limit their gameplay to a reasonable amount of time. I've seen kids addicted to video and computer games, and I'd like to avoid that, especially when they are young.

I'd also say that very young children are extremely impressionable, so that should be considered as well.

If you cannot see the insane amount of occult and satanic references in lord of the rings, you need to take another look. Im not saying this to bash you in any way. This is a HUGE problem with Christians today because you really have no idea what you are looking at or what to look for.
1. anytime you see a singular eye or someone covering one eye, this represents the eye of Lucifer. So the eye of souron (or however you spell it) represents the eye of lucifer. What that means is that Satan sees everything in this world and is in complete control (so he likes to think). Never assume that what you are seeing or watching is innocent.
2. Anytime you see someone famous or something giving the "okay" sign with their hand, this actually is them flashing a "666" sign. Try it with your left hand.
3. Anytime they make a triangle with their hand(thumb and pointer finger) this is them showing the pyrimid which is incedibly important to the secret societies like the freemasons and illuminati. It represents knowledge meaning knowledge that is secret that only the "initiated" or "illuminated ones" are allowed to know and learn.
4. ALL of disney anything is linked to pedophelia and sexual perversion. If you dont believe me then watch these videos.
You will never look at these things the same again. I suggest that you wise up to the devices of the enemy. You play into his hands without even knowing it. I have studied these things for years, I suggest you start not just for yourself, but you children, family, and friends. It is time for those who slumber to awaken. The King is coming soon. Welcome to the REAL WORLD

Upvote 0

daleksteve

Jun 6, 2015
✟16,732.00
Faith
Salvation Army
My nephews, age 14 and 7, were normal individuals before a family member of theirs bought them a $20 Minecraft game for Christmas. They spend 4 hours a day playing it and more time watching it on Youtube. The 14 year old nephew is now grades behind on schoolwork (he homeschools). He developed something called Aspergers, but I'm not going to call it the game's fault, at least not entirely. Whenever I see them play the game on TV, I see skeleton pictures with candle lights on the screen. I cannot understand a word they are saying sometimes as I don't play Minecraft. And I worry about their spiritual state.

I never understood the fascination with the game minecrat. the graphics are so appealing its looks like an very old 80's reto game

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its written we work out our own salvation. So no matter what ANYONE says here. We will never be able to say.. A so and so said I could or could not do it. Some will answer for leading some the wrong way but. You can add to this by saying what is written. Anything that is not of faith is sin.

Now PLEASE LISTEN. GAMES.....For ME.. ME.. to make this even greater..deeper? If I look at a woman and lust.. I sinned already. Even if I make up some woman and lust its sin. Now can I play a game and lust after someone that is not real and its ok then? No. So we are to do no harm/kill. So in a game where the THING or person is not real.. that is ok then to kill? Lusting.. sex.. made up is wrong but.. killing something made up is ..ok? Its just a game right? A Satan does not play games. Its NEVER ok. He will use ANYTHING against us. Yet were talking about a game no more no less.

Now I just painted this so to speak one way. For me..agian for me.. I truly understand my brother Paul that I can do all things.. yet I can not. Not profitable/ beneficial. Yet I am free.and can do anything. I will not be enslaved by them. This is not just a thought. Christ set us FREE to be free. Nothing can hold me slave any more. Sorry.. but this is not easy to see and understand. Nor an excuse to do anything we want. For to even get here.. CHRIST IS your start your center your end of all you do you think you say.

So.. for me its a simply game and does not bother me..yet.. you dont answer to anyone but GoD! Sometimes we make things out to be something they are not. For me.. this mindcraft is just a game and nothing more. And killing? A block made up to look like? Lol.. does not bother me in the spirit at all. If we truly want GODS choice.. He will tell you :) If something you do.. can lead or be used by the enemy to get to you.. GOD if you pray and ask.. will show you and tell you. The sweet sweet Holy Spirit leads and guides us into all truth. Ask Him :) HES the one you aswer to. What is sin for me.. may not be for you :) This does NOT apply to all things lol.

Upvote 0