Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Milk before meat" is used by LDS as an excuse not to tell new or potential members something that will cause them to have second thoughts.

In a 1987 publication by Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints entitled JESUS CHRIST AND THE PLAN OF SALVATION, DISCUSSION 1, Discussions for New Members,

we read the following:
PRINCIPLE 1 THE ROLES OF JESUS CHRIST IN THE PLAN OF SALVATION
DISCUSSION

Jesus Christ Is the Creator
We have faith in Jeus Christ for many reasons. He is the Creator. [Read and discuss Mosiah 3:8] Under the direction of the Father, Christ created the earth and everything on it. He gave us everything we have.

He Is Our Redeemer and Savior

He is the Redeemer and Savior.
Through his sacrifice, we can return and live with him and our Father.

He Is Our Judge
Jesus Christ will be our judge. When our mortal life is over, he will judge us by our works and desires. He will be our advocate with the Father.

Testify: Express your feelings about ---
* Jesus Christ as the Creator, Redeemer, Savior, and Judge.
* The need to have faith in Christ.

Why are they telling new members that they need to have faith in Christ? They've already been baptized.

I notice some glaring omissions in the following:
"Through his sacrifice, we can return and live with him and our Father."

1. There is no mention of the Holy Spirit.
2. There is no mention of becoming gods and godesses.
3. There is no mention that temple marriage is a requirement for eternal life.

And these topics were never covered in Sacrament Meeting or Sunday School (there might be visitors in the audience).

Isn't that a fine kettle of fish?

Last edited by a moderator:

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DISCUSSION 1,

and then there was discussion 2,3,4,5 .....

Where are you finding this, I tried to find it on line and it's not there.

The Holy Ghost is most certainly talked of in Sacrament meetings.

You can go here to see the Churches manual for the basic Gospel Principles class. Starts at the beginning and allows for a discussion wherever the class wants to take it.

First question;
What are some things that testify to you that there is a God?

www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

Upvote 0

Faith Alone 1 Cor 15:1-4

Aug 2, 2017
Heaven
✟12,836.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Milk before meat" is used by LDS as an excuse not to tell new or potential members something that will cause them to have second thoughts.

In a 1987 publication by Corporation of the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints entitled JESUS CHRIST AND THE PLAN OF SALVATION, DISCUSSION 1, Discussions for New Members,

we read the following:
DISCUSSION

We have faith in Jeus Christ for many reasons. He is the Creator. [Read and discuss Mosiah 3:8] Under the direction of the Father, Christ created the earth and everything on it. He gave us everything we have.

He is the Redeener and Savior.

He Is Our Judge
Jesus Christ will be our judge. When our mortal life is over, he will judge us by our works and desires. He will be our advocate with the Father.

Why are they telling new members that they need to have faith in Christ? They've already been baptized.

And these topics were never covered in Sacrament Meeting or Sunday School (there might be visitors in the audience).

Hebrews 5:13-14

I would like some meat .

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Phoebe, which would you rather do in order to learn something:

1. Sit through a full 12-hour lecture all in one go

2. Sit through 12 1-hour lectures broken up over a period of time

?

As we've explained time and time again, the theology is broken up into lesson upon lesson so as not to overwhelm everyone at once. A person who wants to read ahead can freely browse LDS.org and the material there (since all of the current manuals are available online for free), thereby gaining information that way.

What you're accusing us of doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
and then there was discussion 2,3,4,5 .....

Where are you finding this, I tried to find it on line and it's not there.

The Holy Ghost is most certainly talked of in Sacrament meetings.

You can go here to see the Churches manual for the basic Gospel Principles class. Starts at the beginning and allows for a discussion wherever the class wants to take it.

First question;
What are some things that testify to you that there is a God?

www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng

I have several copies of the Gospel Principles Manual as well as the teacher's booklet I just quoted above, and lots of other LDS books and manuals.

Your question doesn't pertain to the OP. But it sounds like a question for children. Few, if any, Christians try to hide the Bible truths from other people. No, the teachers are warned to steer the conversations in certain directions and not to cover topics such as the second annointing. Gospel Principles has a kot of information that people don't hear in Sacrament Meeting. I was never in a Gospel Principles class. I don't think there was such a class in the wards which I attended regularly. I moved from state to state when I was a new member. My mother didn't want Mormons visiting her and they didn't have her address when she moved. That worked better for her when I left home. But while I was at home, I told them that she didn't want visitors. And the visiting teachers didn't visit me at all. Guess I wasn't old enough or they didn't want to travel so far; the ward in one state covered a large geographical area.

I more than once asked why temple marriage was so important and didn't receive an answer that that was necessary to spending eternity with God. I wonder, not really, why Jesus never told anyone that!

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Completely false.

Truth: "milk before meat" is a Biblical concept taught by Paul in 1 Corin 3. It stresses teaching the basic things first. LDS, being a Biblical people, follow this concept.
DISCUSSION

He is the Redeener and Savior.

He Is Our Judge

Are you seriously complaining about Lesson 1 being about Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Galatians 1
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Galatians 1
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it,but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Thank you for posting this wonderful chapter Phoebe. I love it's potent reminders of how continual revelation is needed for the true Church and how we should not follow any other teaching.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Oh, how I love Jesus!

John 14
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Romans 8
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

Praise God Who begins the good work in us and will bring it to completion!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it,but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Thank you for posting this wonderful chapter Phoebe. I love it's potent reminders of how continual revelation is needed for the true Church and how we should not follow any other teaching.
Your praising a false gospel of the lds? That's weird.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I praise what the Holy Spirit tells me is of God.

Do you think I should praise anything else?
The lds version of the gospel fails the "test the spirits" test in Scripture on several accounts. Following a false prophet leads to following a false gospel. I don't doubt the sincerity of your heart, just the truthfullness of the gospel you claim to follow.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
The lds version of the gospel fails the "test the spirits" test in Scripture on several accounts. Following a false prophet leads to following a false gospel. I don't doubt the sincerity of your heart, just the truthfullness of the gospel you claim to follow.
Do you want me to completely disregard what the Spirit has told me and follow your words instead?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to do that.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you want me to completely disregard what the Spirit has told me and follow your words instead?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to do that.
Not my words...

Acts 17:10-11
1 John 4:1
1 Thess. 5:20-21
2 Cor. 11:13-15

Believe God or not, your choice. Joseph Smith, et al, and the subsequent lds teachings fail these tests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Acts 17:10-11
1 John 4:1
1 Thess. 5:20-21
2 Cor. 11:13-15
These words are God's words and I thoroughly believe them.

Joseph Smith, et al, and the subsequent lds teachings fail these tests.
Those are YOUR words.

I've measured LDS doctrine up against those verses and all the other Bible verses. LDS doctrine matches and the Holy Spirit convicts me of it's Truthfulness. Creedal Christianity, especially some brands of Protestantism, completely does not.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These words are God's words and I thoroughly believe them.

Those are YOUR words.

I've measured LDS doctrine up against those verses and all the other Bible verses. LDS doctrine matches and the Holy Spirit convicts me of it's Truthfulness. Creedal Christianity, especially some brands of Protestantism, completely does not.
No matter whose words they are, there is a test failure. Several in fact. That you turn a blind eye to facts that confirm the truth is up to you.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except htat I have tested it and heard from the Holy Spirit. You're consistently disregarding that.
I can go in circles too. The Holy Spirit cannot lie. The spirit that you heard it from is lying to you because certain lds teachings do not line up with real, true, historical evidences and/or go against what the Bible actually says. Joseph Smith failed his first test in regards to his first vision. It went downhill from there...

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I can go in circles too. The Holy Spirit cannot lie. The spirit that you heard it from is lying to you because certain lds teachings do not line up with real, true, historical evidences and/or go against what the Bible actually says. Joseph Smith failed his first test in regards to his first vision. It went downhill from there...
And should I take YOUR word on that?
Or should I ignore you and go with what the Spirit tells me?

Upvote 0