Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Former Vice President Mike Pence is taking another step toward running for the White House in 2024 — and leaning into his split with former President Donald Trump.

The former vice president has spent the last year laying the groundwork for a 2024 campaign — launching a nonprofit policy group, huddling with major donors and stumping for midterm candidates. Pence has also stood by his decision to refuse Trump’s pressure to overturn the results of the 2020 election, and he has urged the party to move beyond the last presidential contest, drawing sharp criticism from the former president.

“Elections are about the future, and frankly the opposition would love nothing more for conservatives to talk about the past or to talk of the mess they’ve made of the president,” Pence said on a Wednesday afternoon conference call with POLITICO and several other news outlets, where he previewed his policy agenda.

Opdrey

Feb 12, 2022
Oregon
✟13,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Former Vice President Mike Pence is taking another step toward running for the White House in 2024 — and leaning into his split with former President Donald Trump.

The former vice president has spent the last year laying the groundwork for a 2024 campaign — launching a nonprofit policy group, huddling with major donors and stumping for midterm candidates. Pence has also stood by his decision to refuse Trump’s pressure to overturn the results of the 2020 election, and he has urged the party to move beyond the last presidential contest, drawing sharp criticism from the former president.

“Elections are about the future, and frankly the opposition would love nothing more for conservatives to talk about the past or to talk of the mess they’ve made of the president,” Pence said on a Wednesday afternoon conference call with POLITICO and several other news outlets, where he previewed his policy agenda.

I fear it is far too late for Mike P. He debased himself so often to Trump during the various televised cabinet meetings that for him to discover a "spine" later on is simply just making himself look like an uliginous person without strict ethical grounding.

I am glad Mike P. decided against joining the Coup in Jan 2020 and doing his job. But he had spent 4 years steadily polishing Trump's boots. He facilitated Trump. He is as much responsible for Trump's tenure as any and all of the other facilitators. He will be unable to wash away that stain.

Upvote 0

Opdrey

Feb 12, 2022
Oregon
✟13,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am waiting on Liz Cheney to throw her hat in the ring.

She wouldn't be able to get the GOP nomination. Which is ironic. She was as much a Trumpist as any of them, but finally Trump showed that there was no bottom to his barrel and she was unwilling to go deeper.

It is very much like Pence; a "Road to Damascus" moment a bit too late.

It is good when people in government finally find ethics and a spine, but the fact that so many of them require a lot of effort to do so indicates that few of them are actually worthy of people's adulation. Especially not when the bar is so low as to suggest that we adore her because she finally stood up to Trump after years of being as crudely conservative as he was (suggesting that Obama was "secretely sympathetic" of jihadists, defending the use of torture, Islamophobic, etc.) Until she finally developed a spine she was a Trump supporter through and through. She characterized the Dems as "antisemites" and said they supported "infanticide".

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
He is entitled to run if he chooses. If I were American, I'd strongly consider voting for him. But he has no chance at the party presidential nomination. There are too many far-right voters in the GOP who hate him for not overturning Electoral College results which he had no authority to do anyway. Even if he somehow made it through the primaries or ran as an independent, too many voters would too closely associate him with Trump to consider him an option.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am waiting on Liz Cheney to throw her hat in the ring.
She wouldn't be able to get the GOP nomination

Oh, I agree. But I keep hoping there will be a more moderate Republican candidate less enmeshed with the current far-right movement afoot in the party. One can only hope. I won't vote for Trump or any of his minions.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I fear it is far too late for Mike P....He facilitated Trump. He is as much responsible for Trump's tenure as any and all of the other facilitators. He will be unable to wash away that stain.

It has been said once you sell your soul to the devil, you don't get it back.

Reactions: Opdrey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Opdrey

Feb 12, 2022
Oregon
✟13,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It has been said once you sell your soul to the devil, you don't get it back.

And in some ways that is what makes Mike such a tragic figure. He clearly believes his faith is real, but the fruit he bears appears rotten to the core. I would dearly love it if Mike actually lived his faith and not some version that allowed him to play a role in the darkest parts of the world while acting as if he is not of this world.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And in some ways that is what makes Mike such a tragic figure. He clearly believes his faith is real, but the fruit he bears appears rotten to the core. I would dearly love it if Mike actually lived his faith and not some version that allowed him to play a role in the darkest parts of the world while acting as if he is not of this world.

Mr. Pence fell victim to blind ambition. He has wanted the White House since he was a congressman. He resigned Congress to run for Indiana governor so he could check the box of administrative experience on his resume for the White House. When Mr. Trump asked, Mr. Pence saw the VP opportunity as his next step to the White House. And now he has this mess to live with (or live down). I was not a fan when he was my Congressman, less so when he was my Governor, and even less so when he set aside his values to align himself with President Trump, whose values I perceive to be about as polar opposite as one can be from Mr. Pence. I suspect Mr. Pence will never make the White House now unless there is some sort of dramatic swing in the GOP. I don't much care for him but in a way I feel sorry for the guy. I think of Frost's poem about two road diverging. Mike chose the wrong road.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Wow.....as much as I'd like to see that go down in flames, I don't think it's going to get traction. He was never more than a smiling face and a last minute ethical doorstop.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The more the merrier in 2024, it was fun seeing so many Republicans fighting for the piece of the pie in the primaries maybe the media on the left will pick another guy that they think can't win and promote him like they did with Trump.
Pence has less chance of being president than Mitt Romney had IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
... the media on the left will pick another guy that they think can't win and promote him like they did with Trump.

Did that really happen?

A few choice quotations from the media from the period before the 2015 Election would be useful.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I especially like this part from the link:

And I think by relentlessly focusing on the future we can stop the radical left, we can turn this country around, we can win the Congress and state houses back in 2022, and we can win back America in 2024 and beyond,” he added.

Pence’s agenda does include a section on election reform, in which he calls for mandatory voter identification, a prohibition on in-person voting more than 10 days before an election and says mail-in voting should be “rare.”
I for one, would vote for him.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Did that really happen?

A few choice quotations from the media from the period before the 2015 Election would be useful.
Yes it happened. If you can't see the obsession of the media over Trump that still simmers and boils now it started way back in the primaries.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pence’s agenda does include a section on election reform, in which he calls for mandatory voter identification, a prohibition on in-person voting more than 10 days before an election and says mail-in voting should be “rare.”

Good old Mike, always standing ready to help us fix problems that don't exist.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

He's someone worthy of Dante's Inferno in terms of the tragic combination of self-delusion and cowardice.

Upvote 0