Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pence has negotiated Obamacare replacement amendment with Freedom Caucus!

#BREAKING The possible amendment is titled the "MacArthur Amendment" and sources tell me it could bring up to 15-20 new @freedomcaucus votes
This would go a long way towards rehabilitating the Freedom Caucus' reputation among Republicans, I'm thinking.

It may be that these representatives were unfairly blamed for the earlier failure, or it may be that comments from a few of the less temperate members of the caucus painted a misleading picture of obstructionism on the part of the caucus, but this development could change that impression.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
This would go a long way towards rehabilitating the Freedom Caucus' reputation among Republicans, I'm thinking.

It may be that these representatives were unfairly blamed for the earlier failure, or it may be that comments from a few of the less temperate members of the caucus painted a misleading picture of obstructionism on the part of the caucus, but this development could change that impression.
One thing Trump seems to be good at is motivating adversaries by faking one way but going another.

It took many years for the US to create the current convoluted healthcare insurance system. Logically, correcting that will similarly take many years.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree that the campaign promise made by many GOP Congressmen and Senators to immediately repeal Obamacare was unwise. Even if Obamacare was created in one fell swoop, from here on it will be necessary to move through a series of changes. And I think the American people will accept that, even if there is a new law and the Dems respond by condemning it, saying that the promise of total repeal wasn't accomplished, etc.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

And how much work should the freedom caucus put towards their reputation?

The freedom caucus is hardly the only group that needs to deal with obstructionism.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And how much work should the freedom caucus put towards their reputation?
One should always be mindful of their reputation.

Maintaining credibility is important. One of the weapons politicians use frequently is attempting to damage the credibility of their opponents. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
One should always be mindful of their reputation.

True, but sometimes, as the saying goes, one should stand up for what they believe in, even if it means standing alone.

Maintaining credibility is important. One of the weapons politicians use frequently is attempting to damage the credibility of their opponents. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it doesn't.

Indeed -- and I recall, especially during the Bush/Kerry election, Kerry getting saddled with a "flip-flopper" reputation by his GOP opposition. You may or may not remember it; it was a time when "stay the course" was the GOP's rallying cry.

I must say, though, it is amusing to see Republicans demand that other Republicans flip-flop...

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This dumps the hard decisions on the states. It allows states to exempt insurers from having to cover chronically ill, high-risk people at standard rates. It also lets states continue the same hurtful provision of AHCA, which is to allow carriers to charge older policiyholders a 5X greater premium. It embodies the same detestable philosophy that puts the interests of insurers, and currently healthy persons, over that of older and sicker persons who need affordable health insurance the most. It just passes the buck to the states to be the axeman.

But anything that might pass the House, will still have to make it through the Senate. That could be a far bigger fight, with a less certain outcome than the Neil Gorsuch confirmation.

Upvote 0