Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi everyone
Does anyone else here experience migraine headaches and if so what seems to work for you?
I was previously on Amerge and imitrex and I am currently taking fioricet and also Zomig (which seems to work better than the previous prescription) but despite meds, sometimes I get them so bad I need a shot at the hospital along with a dark quiet room. :sigh:

Years ago I was in a car accident and thrown through a windshiled and ever since then I discovered I am prone to headaches, but my migraines did not start until after I was pregnant. Doc says hormones play a big part in mine... :sigh:
I have learned to recognize my trigger factors but when I get them I feel like curling up into a ball and dying :(
misery loves company...anyone else??
*sniffle*

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I haven't had one for quite some time. ine start with the disturbed vision. (I lose peripheral vision for a short time.) I think mine were mainly hormone induced, sometimes stress.
After the car wreck, were you checked for whiplash? My husband (all 6'5" of him) was in a car that rolled, and he ended up in the rear window of a Corvette. His neck goes out of place sometimes, and it gives him excruciating headaches.

I haven't had to take prescription meds for mine. The one time that I was able to get rid of one quickly was one that literally made me throw up. Fifteen minutes later, the headache was gone.
If I know that I'll be getting one, I pop two or three ibuprofen before the pain becomes chronic.The other thing that I've found to deaden some of the pain is Tylenol sinus/ allergy.

Upvote 0

layne

ByKr ChYk
Sep 12, 2002
✟640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I suffer from migraines as well. I find that the only way I can get rid of it is by taking Tylenol 3 and having a nap. If I feel myself getting a migraine, I usually start feeling dizzy, so I take a T3 then, and the migraine doesn't happen. Do you know what causes your migraines? Mine are usually induced by neck pain, weather changes and hormones. I suffered from much worse migraines before I started taking BC pills. Now, I rarely get them because of my period. Also, if you're taking a lot of drugs for this, you may be getting what's called a rebound headache. I don't take pills unless I have to, so I doubt I suffer from that, but it's worth looking into.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like Phoebe mentioned about throwing up--that always does it for me. It's as if some toxin or poison in my body wants to get out and the headache won't go away until it's OUT. Then I fall asleep and wake up happy:)

OK, I don't force myself to hurl or anything, but if I happen to do that then that makes it much better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i use lavender oil.

depend on where ur ache begins from. if its on ur tempols, rub sum lavender oil on em. its relax's u. and for sum ppl makes u sleepy, sou can sleep sum he migraine off.

also, cut out aged meats from ur diet. pepparoni, jerkey etc. also red wine.

my neuro wanted to precribe me a med, but i declined i take enuff meds as it is. i prefer natural remedies and he gave me a few hints.

so:

dark room
cut out age meats
cut out wine, or limit ur intake.
lavnder oil.

and wahla...head ache goes bye bye., its only temporarily relief, but what isn't?

good luck. i know they suck.

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
Phoebe,

and i thought things were going to be running more smoothly, since early indications show that she is not going to turn into the rebellious teenage brat that i once was!...

And then theres my son, he's only 7, this is going to go on for a long time, isn't it ?

Actually, i used to be a step mum to my ex husbands first child. I was his step mum for 6 years or so, and oh boy did we have problems. I did have killer migraines during those years, come to think of it!

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
urban,

i like the idea of trying lavender because it's very natural. I have lot's of lavender growing in my garden, maybe i could try rubbing a clump of them over my forehead!, i have a lot of eye pain with my migraines though, so i suppose it would not be wise to get them anywhere near my eyes.

Very helpful advice, urban, thank you.

Upvote 0

Phoebe

TwoBrickShyOfAFullLoad
Aug 22, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
✟19,524.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I quit having migraines since not having to deal with the ex- wife so often!!! LOL
It's been three years since the little angel moved in. (She isn't always horrible)
I would have to say that mine were mainly stress related.

There are different triggers for different people. Some people have to cut out caffeine entirely. For some the trigger may be something that is high in citrus. Or chocolate... This is something that could be discussed wit your M.D.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amie

Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think my ex husband causes me to have stress. Actually I know he does.

I had such a severe headache last night they actually gave me a CT scan and an MRI. Good news, no tumors...
bad news I had to get 2 shots and now I feel drugged and hungover :sigh:
oh and my MD think because I just had some ovarian cysts removed that my headaches are caused by my erratic hormone levels...
I think eventually I will get rid of these. I hope :help:

Upvote 0

Marcel

Quixotic Cloggie
Oct 4, 2002
Holland
Visit site
✟9,296.00
amie said:
I think my ex husband causes me to have stress. Actually I know he does.

I had such a severe headache last night they actually gave me a CT scan and an MRI. Good news, no tumors...
bad news I had to get 2 shots and now I feel drugged and hungover :sigh:
oh and my MD think because I just had some ovarian cysts removed that my headaches are caused by my erratic hormone levels...
I think eventually I will get rid of these. I hope :help:
You need some stressrelief then. :)

How does a nice backrub, and a bedtimestory from infinitely your's sound? ;)

Reactions: amie
Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Ooooooooo fellow migraine sufferers!!!

LOL...I probably shouldn't sound so excited. I posted this great list in Reilly's Pub over in OBOB, which wound up getting lost, of all the things over the years that have eased my migraines. I have such a huge list because the same thing never quite works twice in a row.

And actually, I've heard back rubs and neck rubs do ease the pain of a migraine (could never test that one out though...no one to help...LOL). Something else to consider...massage the palm of the hand that is opposite the pain of the migraine. Most of mine are on the left, so you would massage the right palm. I was told there's something like a pressure point in there which helps dull the pain.

I've had a doctor do bloodwork on me and he couldn't find a reason for my migraines. I've been going to a chiropractor for about 1 1/2 years now, and that seems to have lessened the number of migraines I get (I used to get at least 2 a week...now I'm down to 2-3 a month, one of which I know why I get it).

My most general thing to do is to take Excedrin and nap. Sometimes I put a Migraine Ice patch on my forehead and nap.

And then there's my whole other list of things ranging from foods to eat, things to drink, and things to do that at one time or another have helped relieve the migraine.

Upvote 0