Might the Orthodox Toll Houses and the Catholic Purgatory be the same thing?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I suspect that most all of you here will disagree with the implication in my thread, but it seems to me that there is not all that much difference between the Orthodox Toll Houses and the Catholic Purgatory. Both provide some form of testing or trial before entrance into Heaven is possible, with perhaps the exception of some saints. Now, one difference appears to be that all of those in the Catholic Purgatory are assured of eventually getting to Heaven, while there seems to be some doubt for those who are tested by the Orthodox Toll Houses. Nevertheless, the two concepts seem to have much in common. Might they be different ways of describing the same intermediate state?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I suspect that most all of you here will disagree with the implication in my thread, but it seems to me that there is not all that much difference between the Orthodox Toll Houses and the Catholic Purgatory. Both provide some form of testing or trial before entrance into Heaven is possible, with perhaps the exception of some saints. Now, one difference appears to be that all of those in the Catholic Purgatory are assured of eventually getting to Heaven, while there seems to be some doubt for those who are tested by the Orthodox Toll Houses. Nevertheless, the two concepts seem to have much in common. Might they be different ways of describing the same intermediate state?

To answer your question, yes. They are "variations on a theme". I personally do not hold to the belief in toll houses but I hope for a purgatory. An intermediate state created by the mercy of God to further instruct us on the proper behavior in heaven.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no, the toll houses teaching is nothing like purgatory. toll houses are an occurrence, not a third condition of the soul. you can't get time reduced in the toll houses, since you are past the temporal timeframe. the toll houses are for everyone, not just the saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To answer your question, yes. They are "variations on a theme". I personally do not hold to the belief in toll houses but I hope for a purgatory. An intermediate state created by the mercy of God to further instruct us on the proper behavior in heaven.

there is no purgatory, our saints have attested it's heresy.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Careful with those people who say Toll-houses are a "Neo gnostic concept".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What strikes me (and not to step on toes Father - of course you'd know better) ...

But what strikes me is that if we closely observe souls and how they are affected, is the realization that there is a dynamic between a person, and sin, and I'm not sure what all else.

What I mean is that at a certain point, a person can commit a particular sin. I'll use what many would consider a mild example. Say they take home a pen from work - a very "venial" sin from a Catholic definition. It might be that such a sin barely deserves remembering, so is not really repented of, and is not mentioned in confession or even in personal prayers. And the person is not seriously damaged by that sin.

(In fact, we might easily commit a number of sins of this degree and not be truly affected by them as individual sins - though I think a pattern of such "minor" sins and accepting them as minor could potentially lead to hardening oneself and potentially moving away from repentance.)

But ... my point is that the same person at a different point spiritually could commit the same sin - purposely and willingly choosing to steal a small item - and this can represent a HUGE disobedience against God and a rejection of Him - at least temporarily. It can be a very damaging sin, one that has an effect on the souls of "mortal sin" proportions. The actual sin might be the same, but because of differences in the person they are affected differently, and they desperately need to repent.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough. My point is that while I admire the intention behind the effort of Catholicism to make a distinction between serious and lesser sins, in fact it CAN depend on the person.

Some of the Saints who enjoy the ongoing grace of God fear even allowing the first dart of the enemy in a suggestion of sin to the thoughts, because they know how likely they might lose that experience of Grace simply for allowing that thought to reach the point of being recognized, which of course happens continually to almost all people and isn't even truly sin for them.

And between the extremes we can be at various points. So I think there can be errors made if we assume this sin or that always has a given magnitude.

Just thinking through this a bit. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What strikes me (and not to step on toes Father - of course you'd know better) ...

But what strikes me is that if we closely observe souls and how they are affected, is the realization that there is a dynamic between a person, and sin, and I'm not sure what all else.

What I mean is that at a certain point, a person can commit a particular sin. I'll use what many would consider a mild example. Say they take home a pen from work - a very "venial" sin from a Catholic definition. It might be that such a sin barely deserves remembering, so is not really repented of, and is not mentioned in confession or even in personal prayers. And the person is not seriously damaged by that sin.

(In fact, we might easily commit a number of sins of this degree and not be truly affected by them as individual sins - though I think a pattern of such "minor" sins and accepting them as minor could potentially lead to hardening oneself and potentially moving away from repentance.)

But ... my point is that the same person at a different point spiritually could commit the same sin - purposely and willingly choosing to steal a small item - and this can represent a HUGE disobedience against God and a rejection of Him - at least temporarily. It can be a very damaging sin, one that has an effect on the souls of "mortal sin" proportions. The actual sin might be the same, but because of differences in the person they are affected differently, and they desperately need to repent.

I hope I'm explaining this well enough. My point is that while I admire the intention behind the effort of Catholicism to make a distinction between serious and lesser sins, in fact it CAN depend on the person.

Some of the Saints who enjoy the ongoing grace of God fear even allowing the first dart of the enemy in a suggestion of sin to the thoughts, because they know how likely they might lose that experience of Grace simply for allowing that thought to reach the point of being recognized, which of course happens continually to almost all people and isn't even truly sin for them.

And between the extremes we can be at various points. So I think there can be errors made if we assume this sin or that always has a given magnitude.

Just thinking through this a bit. :)

no toes were stepped on, I don't see anything I disagree with here.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no toes were stepped on, I don't see anything I disagree with here.
Thank you Father. I just don't like to push into a conversation with someone asking a priest a question. It's a little different on discussion boards maybe, but still.

Upvote 0